Summer transfer window 2023

He can say no, and he goes nowhwhere, or sure, pay me up and I will go. Utd have a contractual obligation to pay him those agreed wages.
Think how we have had to pay off all those managers. Over his 5 year contract He is due £50m or something other random insane number. If they want rid, they have to pay him the remainder of that, or make up the difference.

We had to pay Koeman £5.4m a year when he had the Dutch job, cause he went to them and said Everton are paying my wages, so, you pay me £600k and Everton make up the rest to £6m. Pretty sure that ended when he went to Barca.

Selling a player is nothing like sacking a manager mate.

We need to reduce our wage bill not like for like replace or increase it.
We were over 90% of revenue with wages alone. That is unsustainable and shouldn't be what we aim for going forward. So replacing 150k worth of wages with 150-200k would be beyond stupid.

I can see it all happening, the pitch fork gang will soon embark on a bitch fit journey and demand we sell Branthy when he stumble on his first mistake.

If the young talent came with a guarantee that they’d definitely develop into top quality players, and Everton were actually capable of holding onto top quality players, then I would agree. But neither of those things are true.

He could become the next Godfrey, or if he’s really good we can pat ourselves on the back for keeping hold of him for an extra season like we did when we refused to sell John Stones, only to sell him the following season and completely waste the money we received for him.
You really touch on a couple important things. With Stones, you got the benefit of his talent for 3 years. That time also increased his transfer fee when he got moved. If you move him before he did anything you get much less AND you have to spend transfer money on someone else and pay that guy higher wages too. The store Everton now shops in for talent has no guarantees. For a team with limited funds to use for transfers, I prefer to use it to fill roles that there isn't a young option to play already there.

Why are people still discussing signing Maguire?
I don’t understand why people are seriously advocating getting rid of branthwaite when in a couple of years time he could be worth 3 or 4 times what he is currently worth, and in his place they want a player who would cost 20m, is old enough that has zero sell on value, and will be on wages 5 times what branthwaite is on.

Everyone would then whinge we sign players who are too old and have no sell on value when we continue to then be a mess financially with mad wage bills.

If we are wanting a CB instead of Branthwaite, we need to be signing a 25/26 year old.

Then you see it is Dave who is bigging it up and it all makes sense.

Sell now and the mooted figure is £25mil. If he holds a place in the eleven then the figure will be £40mil+...if he shows strong potential were talking huge money.

It would be stupidity to sell now.

Not to mention, he has always said positive things about the club and, like Pickford may actually just end up wanting to stay long term.

Valuations mean little unless someone is actually willing to pay them; hypothetical future valuations that may never occur mean even less.

I don’t think we’d get 25 million for a youngster that can’t make it into the U21 first team tbh. Just like United aren’t going to get the 40 million that they value Maguire at.

If they actually went out to market right now, with the highest bidder acquiring the player, it’s the current English international that would achieve the higher transfer fee imo.

I cant believe that people think that when a club sells a player they have to pay them all the remaining wages.

Its burnt my head out.
It probably does happen. If a club want to sell and the player refuses as the offers less, I bet the current club will make deals with them to cover the players potential loss of earnings as it will save them money in the long run instead of the player just running down their contract.

The other way would be they accept less transfer fee so that the buying club can afford more in wages etc.

Was Coady or is Keane really much better than Branthwaite is likely to be? He is 21 and has played at the lower prep levels to get the opportunity. At some point the team has to stop wanting mediocre or worse Premier League experienced options over young talent they have that needs a chance. Will he make some errors? Probably. So does Keane. Play him.

I agree with this. Apart from our last 6 or 7 games it was coady and Keane and this is not a high bar for Branthwaite to be better than.

One of the pros I've taken from dyche's time with us is that when he has alternatives and can see things aren't working he knows to change things. So as much as I worry that Keane is first choice for Fulham it won't take much for Branthwaite to leapfrog him. And yeah Branthwaite's not as good an option as Mina was, but he seems to have all the attributes to be WAY above Coady and Keane. So this isn't the massive downgrade people are making it out to be. Especially when you take into account, 80% of last season was coady and Keane.