New Everton Stadium Discussion

All sorted mate, I'm opening a chippy which is on the corner and it has a few tables and a little hatch where you can order a pint whilst waiting for your food order. You can come pre match for the experience, or post match for the experience, or both for a pre and post match experience.

It's called "maccas corner bistro chippy pub shop emporium"

hope they will be wrapped in newspapers, like they used to be, taste far better and finally the liverpool Echo will have it uses.

Exactly what I have been on about. There needs to be pubs opening up around now. Shops as you say. The whole area is still lacking anyrhing really. Bramley moore pub will obviously be a home pub and be great but where are the others.
Why would you open a pub now when the stadium isn't ready for at least another year?
Pubs cost money to sit there idle for a year.

Why would pubs open now? They'd be bloody out of business before the stadium opens!

One step at a time. Stadium gets built then slowly but surely confidence in the area grows, investors come in, residents move in, bars start popping out of nowhere, it becomes the extension of Liverpool City Centre.

The stadium is the catalyst. It needs to get to near completion and then it becomes the first domino.
Even when the stadium is open there's only going to be 19 home league games plus maybe a few cup games. Can a pub/shop/chippy survive on just 19-25 busy days per year?

Surely there must be a plan but this is Everton.

Exactly what I have been on about. There needs to be pubs opening up around now. Shops as you say. The whole area is still lacking anyrhing really. Bramley moore pub will obviously be a home pub and be great but where are the others.

They will be inside the ground. This is not GP, I’ve no doubt the bars will be superb…..

£200m is relatively cheap to get to 61k capacity with over triple our boxes and double our corporate.

Without trying to retread over very well worn ground, they've done the two easiest stands (and even then the Anfield road was how many years in the making due to clearing behind it, and have those costs been added into the headline price? I doubt it), it would be like us having two park ends just waiting to be rebuilt. If that were the case perhaps we even might have considered staying put.

When it comes to the Kop to get something similar they are going to have to build over or reroute a road and probably knock down some buildings behind that will be towered over by the new construction. By the time that happens inflation will also see to it that it is much more expensive than the other two already built. Probably to the tune of 160 million or more, then that's 3 stands for 360m. Another good number of years later the last stand might be addressed and will come in at a similar price due to less problems but still not simple with at least two streets of houses to demolish and yet more years of inflation to contend with.

So that's going to be approximately 520 million or so for a full redevelopment. We know we've paid at least a one hundred million premium for that location, if you add that on top the costs are pretty similar. Given that you can hardly call it cheap?

Could we have built a larger capacity stadium with similar amount of boxes etc. somewhere else using a cheaper design? Absolutely. However it wasn't what we were aiming for.

Without trying to retread over very well worn ground, they've done the two easiest stands (and even then the Anfield road was how many years in the making due to clearing behind it, and have those costs been added into the headline price? I doubt it), it would be like us having two park ends just waiting to be rebuilt. If that were the case perhaps we even might have considered staying put.

When it comes to the Kop to get something similar they are going to have to build over or reroute a road and probably knock down some buildings behind that will be towered over by the new construction. By the time that happens inflation will also see to it that it is much more expensive than the other two already built. Probably to the tune of 160 million or more, then that's 3 stands for 360m. Another good number of years later the last stand might be addressed and will come in at a similar price due to less problems but still not simple with at least two streets of houses to demolish and yet more years of inflation to contend with.

So that's going to be approximately 520 million or so for a full redevelopment. We know we've paid at least a one hundred million premium for that location, if you add that on top the costs are pretty similar. Given that you can hardly call it cheap?

Could we have built a larger capacity stadium with similar amount of boxes etc. somewhere else using a cheaper design? Absolutely. However it wasn't what we were aiming for.

The "relative cheap" descriptor comes from the basic comparison of where they're at so far:

Approx £200m for 61k capacity versus our £750m for 53k. It really isn't close.

That comparison is even more stark when you realise that basically they got to 54k for just £114m versus £750m. You can break it down further with comparisons of Corporate and General admission capacities, prices and revenue. I think their matchday income will still be over 3 times ours at BMD.

Both their stands needed quite substantial land takes but reused significant existing capacity.... that also meant that quite a large proportion of the construction volume was just to get up to the height of the existing stands.

Compared to the cost of construction the cost of land/property acquisition is quite small in the likes of Anfield/Goodison..... and is usually covered in whole project costs.

Your projected costs for Anfield are all dependent on the design format chosen and on what (if anything) can be retained from the existing stands. So it is difficult to predict the final cost, but you have to remember that if they get to 70k+ capacity at £500m, that is still significantly less than BMD for a much larger stadium and a fraction of the cost of a new build 70k elsewhere.

It's the same reason Real Madrid have spent £1bn on the Bernabeu.... it would cost them £2bn+ to recreate from scratch. So, not cheap as you say, but significantly less than the alternative.

Great video @The binman chronicles

I was just wondering, with increased capacity for away fans for cup fixtures, where will they be sitting? and assuming we sell all our season tickets, what happens to the displaced ones?

Depends who it is. If it's United, city or the RS etc they'll sell it out and they'll have systems in place to include and segregate the increased away end.

I noticed at arsenal away one time they had closured walls to do this.

If it's let's say Norwich, Wigan or Newcastle, they'll just get the lower allocation.