Our main weakness...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Azzurri

Player Valuation: £70m
Yes, Saha is gash and our entire forward line has an average age of about 13. Yes, we have lots of injuries. Yes, we have no money to spend etc etc.

But our main problem is our play is just soooo slow. Not necessarily counter attacking, as the opportunity for that only comes up 2 or 3 times a game, but just our general play.

A typical Everton move is: Heitinga gets the ball in defence. Gives it to Fellaini. Fellaini turns and rolls a ridiculously slow ball to Baines on the wing who then gives it to Bily. Bily then gives it inside to Fellaini who then gives it back to Baines, who is forced to try and beat the entire opposition himself or cross a ball into a disinterested Saha. Thus giving the other team plenty of time to get behind the ball if they already weren't, and get their defensive shape sorted.

No pace, cutting edge or creativity.

I know, for example, Rodwell is no David Silva, but you don't have to be world class to kick the ball a bit harder and run around a bit more in attack.

I know I'm just wallowing in the pool of depression left in our gashness, and there's far more problems than this one, I just feel this can easily be combated without sprnding a penny.

Views?

When we did break occassionally with Donovan we looked dangerous, with Drenthe on the other flank, we could easily hit teams with pace, but for whatever reason we don't. It's not so much a lack of pace as an unwillingness to use it I reckon.

When we did break occassionally with Donovan we looked dangerous, with Drenthe on the other flank, we could easily hit teams with pace, but for whatever reason we don't. It's not so much a lack of pace as an unwillingness to use it I reckon.
This is exactly it.

But not just actual running speed, the speed at which we move the ball.

Tactics is all i'm saying, we obviously aren't trained or managed to attack quickly or play through the middle at all.

No movement.

That's easily our biggest problem. And as movement doesn't cost anything, it's also our most frustrating.

This is exactly it.

But not just actual running speed, the speed at which we move the ball.

The capability on the break to put the ball in front of the pacy guys is paramount. Everytime since eternity our play is held up because of the safe ball behind the runner.

Those who get the ball can't pass it to anyone because there's no movement.

Those who are off the ball don't move because they know that even if they do, the ball towards them will be too gash and too slow.

Vicious circle.

Using FM lingo, you could say Everton's style is set to 'Rigid' and just doesn't show enough fluidity.

It's easy to defend against and far too predictable.

Tottenham on the other hand are playing an actual play maker in central midfield who is given the license to move around to receive the ball and to give the ball.

Everton do not have this type of player.

Also Tottenham have a back four of players who are totally comfortable in possession and a willing midfield who will move to receive possession.

If we had the latter, things would be much easier and I guarantee the confidence of defenders in possession would be much improved.

I don't know whether it is Moyes' tactics, or the players' lack of faith in their own ability, but our current form suggests that people are too scared to take risks, move out of position or try something different for fear of being caught out.

I was thinking the same watching today. You had their right back popping up on the left hand side smashing a shot into Heitinga, Bale running all over the show, Modric etc.

Plus the fast, one touch passing. You don't see that with us, it's always, always 2 or 3 touches. Count next time, we're terrible at it, and it's not for lack of skill, it's lack of movement. 2 lumps of ****e up front who don't want to pull defenders out of position doesn't help either.

When Drenthe came on, he popped up everywhere in the attacking half, there should be more of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.