Is this the greatest Everton XI ever?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Think you are just counting league games there

you're right, all competitive matches it's:

Lineker 57 (1 season).
Andrei 62 (1-and-a-half seasons).

So fair point that both should be eligible.

would have Rooney over Rom, especially if you want someone who can hustle and track back.
You mean the Rooney we had or the Rooney Man U had?

Sharp also played in some not great Everton sides and played for us over a longer period which skews his stats. I respectfully disagree with your analysis of just his first touch was better, Sharp was an intelligent player who created for others and could have scored a lot more if he had just been the usual self centred goalscorer (more like Lineker another words), that team ethic was probably why Kendall kept him.
Also good point.

If theoretically Rom was with us over that length of time would have injuries/slowing of pace/general malaise of not moving and freshening things up cause a drop off in goals in later seasons?
Impossible to say. I'm a believer in certain players fit certain clubs, and I think Rom fitted us perfectly. Maybe we wouldn't have had such a dire time these last few years had he stayed and continued his goals-ratio.

Sharp had the good fortune? Oh dear. The great forward likes of that era were:
Sharp and Heath, Sharp and Gray, Sharp and Lineker. There's a common denominator there.
Fair point.

Based on a player’s whole career, rather than just their appearances in blue, there’s no way I’d have Lukaku anywhere near this team, especially at the expense of Rooney.

One of England’s greatest ever goal scorers (and an excellent footballer all-round) or a fella who is as consistent as jelly with no first touch.
Rooney wasn't playing for us then. An Everton Greatest XI should only include their performances & achievements while playing for us.

I’m not going through every position, I’m just going to envisage the wet dream of Kendall, Ball and Harvey out-footballing everyone in midfield, supplying ammunition for prime Rooney and Dean to destroy every defence put in front of them.
That does sound tasty, even if we're accepting 17-year old Wayne.

For us, Lukaku was much better than Rooney.
Agreed.

Ball, Harvey and Kendall, one of the greatest midfields ever and all played together.
I know we blues see them as one of the greatest midfields ever, but other football fans are barely aware of them. Only Alan Ball is a vaunted name (as a player), and that's more because of England '66 than Everton.

only been watching since 89ish
Same...the Cup Final was my discovery of Everton (i just spontaneously chose the blue team and it stuck).

realise that Everton did have some great players pre-60s, other than Dixie.
Aye, outside of Dixie there's only Ted Sagar and Alex 'Sandy' Young who come to mind as potential pre-60's candidates.

A fair attempt tbh.
I'm not sure about Lukaku though...I feel they might cancel each other out by getting in Dean's way and he does tend to sulk if he's not the main man...sorry Rom, but there's nobody Main-er than Dean.
Agree with that!

He might thrive in that just-behind-the-goalhanger position. Gives him a lot to do.

So, due to his adaptability, around play, No 10-esque footballing brain - not to mention outstanding goalscoring record, Rooney gets my nod.
The Rooney we had or the Rooney Man U had?

I see the merit in having Rooney if we're picking players at their peak at different clubs. But he wasn't good enough for a long enough period playing for us.
He was inconsistent, and overplayed as a 17-year old. There was some incredible magic too, tho'.

I get the Rooney shouts and in his prime he was naturally better than anyone I've seen in a blue shirt - at his peak he was at the very top with the likes of Messi and Ronaldo - he just couldn't stay there... but as someone has already said we never had him in his prime. Rooney at 16 would still 100% be on my bench though and Rom was a goal machine so he's a no brainer.
Aye, Rom over Rooney due to goals.

When Wayne left a bit of romanticism for the game died...when he came back it just wasn't the same...like getting sloppy seconds 15 years after first lust.

Jagielka & Lescott had the best pairing i've seen, aswell as having that left foot, right foot combination, Lescott carried a goal threat too - think he's quite underrated when some of the best PL CB's are talked about.
Aye, Lescott was great for us. Maybe a bench-candidate for the Greatest-XXII Squad.

Midfield - Could make a case for fellaini
For a short time i loved Fellaini in the defensive-mid position. Where he seemed to intercept everything (that famous Bellamy-interception was from this position).

Stupidly, we didn't let him cement there...Moyes often then used him as an emergency striker, ffs.

Rooney's peak for me was while he was still an Everton player. Euro 2004 he was unplayable. Never felt that way thereafter. I'm not saying he didn't improve in certain aspects as a complete player, but he lost some of that machine like rawness and invincibility.
Do agree with this too...despite inconsistency and being overplayed, Wayne at 17 had the kind of magic moments we only know from dreams & Playstation.

Ferguson might've sorted his consistency out, but like he did with Giggs he sawed off the magic-edges to get it.

Wright

Sansom
Materazzi
Kroldrup

James
Gazza
Riquelme
Blomqvuist
Ginola

Eto'o
Hughes
:hayee:

Last edited:

Rom was world-class...for us and also for Inter & Belg.

Nah, not in the same league.

Kanchelskis played for us, during the dogs of war period and could destroy teams by himself.

Imagine how good Kanchelskis would`ve been, in that " no defence " team under Martinez, during his first season as manager ???

Kanchelskis played for us, during the dogs of war period and could destroy teams by himself.

Imagine how good Kanchelskis would`ve been, in that " no defence " team under Martinez in his first season ???
Would agree with this. Kanchelskis was eletric. Won games on his own.

Imagine how good Kanchelskis would`ve been, in that " no defence " team under Martinez in his first season ???
agreed.
Rom was a goal machine who found a team and that suited him. Everything we did at that time was tailored to get him goals. The moment he went to United and was expected to play neat and tidy football, and link up with others it was down hill. That first stint at Inter aside he's never really come back from that and that's because whilst his goals tally suggests he's an elite striker, elite teams don't play his strengths.
Kanchelskis could have walked into any team, played any style and he'd had been a match winner.

Listening to a few of his interviews post retirement I think his willingness to play in different positions to accommodate the likes of Tevez did him no favours. He could, and probably should have been more selfish at that time.

Agreed, also Ronaldo being there might not have been the best thing for Rooney. Perhaps he saw someone that was better or at least willing to work harder and that knocked a few percentage points off. At Everton he would have been training knowing he was the best at the club and that must give you a boost..

Impossible to say. I'm a believer in certain players fit certain clubs, and I think Rom fitted us perfectly. Maybe we wouldn't have had such a dire time these last few years had he stayed and continued his goals-ratio.

Of course we would have done better with Rom, we would next season if we somehow got him. I still think there is a glass celling there of absolute belief and talent that would show in big games but would be far better equipped to see off the likes of Southampton etc. etc. with him in our team.

That said if we had him for the 10/11 years we had Sharp there would be a drop off from when he was 'peak' Rom which was the 6/7 year period encompassing when he was at WBA, here and a year or so at utd.

You mean the Rooney we had or the Rooney Man U had?

The end of season 2004 version would be just fine. ;)

Reading posts discussing the qualities of players from before I was born is a weird one. Kinda makes you feel like a wizard floating through space, learning secrets of the universe you're not meant to be aware of. Please keep it up.

Reading posts discussing the qualities of players from before I was born is a weird one. Kinda makes you feel like a wizard floating through space, learning secrets of the universe you're not meant to be aware of. Please keep it up.
Have anyone spoke out the lethal finishing of Stuart Jigsaw Barlow or the defensive rock that was Per koldrup.
Or the magnificent midfield play of Mark Pembridge. The glory days

Born in 89 and only really started following around 98 so mine would be

Pickford
Coleman Jagielka Lescott Baines
Arteta Barry
James Rooney Pienaar
Lukaku

Honourable mention for the Stacq

Status
Not open for further replies.