New Everton Stadium Discussion

A ridiculous nod to the nineteenth century on a 21st century building.

Look at the metal sheeting around the ground that breaks it up and makes it a mockery in any case.
Too right my son. This Club needs to get with the times.

God bless

Polish_20230317_231825163.png

The ferry carries 2000 at a time? Have a park and ferry so you can park over the water and ship over 2k at a time. A ferry terminal at BMD could work, couldn't it?

2000 at a time is how many coaches/busses/taxis?

The ferries ate a big part of river life, would be a great addition, IMHO.

As for expensive, it doesn't stop people from using them, and considering the cost of taxis, parking, etc... Give the ferries extra income too.
Too many wools.

As a wool, from the south-east our drive to Goodison is up the M6, onto the M62 and then up Queen's Drive, and park around Anfield way. We're already looking into possible routes / parking for BMD, but for us it's going to add a fair bit of travel time no matter what we do. Don't particularly fancy driving through the city on a matchday! One option I'm guessing will be to carry on along Queen's Drive to Bootle / Kirkdale, and park and walk down from there?? We've even looked into coming off the M6 early and driving up the Wirral, and getting a train from the Wirral (I worked in Bromborough for a while) to James Street, then walking up, but can imagine that would be a ball ache.
Just to help for your games at goodison avoid queens drive. Carry on along edge lane and let google maps direct you. You will be there quicker and certainly home a lot quicker 🙏

A ridiculous nod to the nineteenth century on a 21st century building.

Look at the metal sheeting around the ground that breaks it up and makes it a mockery in any case.

To be pedantic, Leitch's balcony trusses were early 20th century not 19th. At the end of the day it's a very subtle minor decorative detail that in no way detracts from the overall design. The brickwork externals are generally paying homage to the large dock wearhouses and Goodison itself, which had quite plain brick frontages throughout for most of its life. Austere on the outside, with all the structural and architectural character on the inside.... where it matters most!

It's obviously a lot more handy, but i've always got the train to and from Sandhills to Goodison. It's only a 20-30 minute walk with pubs on the way.

I used to get the train from Hunts cross quite a lot.... change at Sandhills/town and get off at Kirkdale. Shorter walk than from Sandhills and some good pubs along the way too. Done soccerbus from Sandhills too but never afterwards, not enough buses for the post match rush.

Moved to Woolton and mainly 81 along the drive nowadays. It would be going back on myself to go to Hunts cross. If driving, we've parked on all sides of the ground, Anfield, Kirkdale, Walton, Cherry Lane, Stanley Park etc. Found this to have been getting more difficult in recent years, possibly as more people choosing the car, which also means the drive has got increasingly congested afterwards.

At BMD, I might go back on myself to Hunts cross.... afterwards will depend on how well the post match marshalling at Sandhills works. Psychologically it also might feel like going in the wrong direction going back to Sandhills, and could be in town by the time I've walked and queued for a train there. Hopefully a Vauxhall station will open soon too to split north and south passengers better and offer more covered platform space too.

I used to get the train from Hunts cross quite a lot.... change at Sandhills/town and get off at Kirkdale. Shorter walk than from Sandhills and some good pubs along the way too. Done soccerbus from Sandhills too but never afterwards, not enough buses for the post match rush.

Moved to Woolton and mainly 81 along the drive nowadays. It would be going back on myself to go to Hunts cross. If driving, we've parked on all sides of the ground, Anfield, Kirkdale, Walton, Cherry Lane, Stanley Park etc. Found this to have been getting more difficult in recent years, possibly as more people choosing the car, which also means the drive has got increasingly congested afterwards.

At BMD, I might go back on myself to Hunts cross.... afterwards will depend on how well the post match marshalling at Sandhills works. Psychologically it also might feel like going in the wrong direction going back to Sandhills, and could be in town by the time I've walked and queued for a train there. Hopefully a Vauxhall station will open soon too to split north and south passengers better and offer more covered platform space too.

Dispersing 50,000 will be a lot more tricky with limited parking or walking routes and less pubs etc around the ground. Sandhills is going to be a bottleneck initially, along with the walk down the dock road back to town. Also the away fans to factor in. Keeping a lot of fans back for a drink after the game in the ground has to be a good option.

To be pedantic, Leitch's balcony trusses were early 20th century not 19th. At the end of the day it's a very subtle minor decorative detail that in no way detracts from the overall design. The brickwork externals are generally paying homage to the large dock wearhouses and Goodison itself, which had quite plain brick frontages throughout for most of its life. Austere on the outside, with all the structural and architectural character on the inside.... where it matters most!
Yes, but the Leitch design could be said to be a part of the 'long nineteeth century' prior to the First World War and before a modernist era kicks in with movements like art deco making their impact.

The overall design at the new stadium is an issue for me: a hybrid of the industrial and conceptual (the 'wave') with a nod to Goodison Park thrown in.

I've been consistent in saying it's a dogs breakfast.

It's the location that makes this stadium worthy of the club. That's always been the case. It WILL be a massive statement by the club, but it should never have been so aesthetically poor.

I used to get the train from Hunts cross quite a lot.... change at Sandhills/town and get off at Kirkdale. Shorter walk than from Sandhills and some good pubs along the way too. Done soccerbus from Sandhills too but never afterwards, not enough buses for the post match rush

Your round in the Waiting room Tom :pint2: