New Everton Stadium Discussion

Thanks for that detail. I remembered reading about the stadium when it was getting built and friends have since told me bits about the transport etc. As with the Perth example, the key for BMD is good public transport, getting people to and from the city centre, to shift the bulk of the fans most efficiently and not gridlock the roads with cars. A similar level of car usage as currently seen at GP would probably overwhelm the new site, which in turn could stifle shuttle bus operation due to limited number of roads available.
The one big advantage Perth stadium has is that it's on a peninsula, so there is no traffic other than people going to the stadium to cause congestion. Couple that with no car access and it means you can drive along the nearest road after the final whistle and not even know a game was on, other than seeing a few extra buses.

Whether BMD is set up to be able to provide something similar I don't know, but I think one of the biggest benefits would be if there were different bus stands taking people to different locations, not just to the city centre, eg turn left for buses direct to the northern suburbs, straight ahead for East and right for the city centre. The more directions people leave in, the less congestion

The one big advantage Perth stadium has is that it's on a peninsula, so there is no traffic other than people going to the stadium to cause congestion. Couple that with no car access and it means you can drive along the nearest road after the final whistle and not even know a game was on, other than seeing a few extra buses.

Whether BMD is set up to be able to provide something similar I don't know, but I think one of the biggest benefits would be if there were different bus stands taking people to different locations, not just to the city centre, eg turn left for buses direct to the northern suburbs, straight ahead for East and right for the city centre. The more directions people leave in, the less congestion

It would be perfect if all suburbs could be served directly. Modal shift is greatly dependent on levels of convenience. Direct routes, especially mass transit on segregated tracks/lanes is the ideal solution to get most people out of their cars. The main problem is the number of buses available. It's not like the 1960s or even the pre-deregulation years anymore. There are nowhere near the number of services or buses in the system nowadays, as illustrated by soccerbus being an almost token effort only. I think most Northern suburbs will be quite well covered for direct services via Merseyrail and the existing bus services at Scotland Rd. Similarly those southern riverside suburbs along the merseyrail line too.... but the bulk of the conurbation have no direct routes to BMD.

Therefore the priority will be getting as many people into the city centre, where there are buses/trains serving all areas of the city region. The key for shuttles is short clear routes so that they can operate and turnaround fast and increase their hourly capacity, thus requiring fewer buses/drivers.

In the longer term, hopefully the whole Liverpool Waters scheme will generate a train station at Vauxhall and new/extended bus routes or even a terminus to serve it.

How long is the walk from the city centre to the new ground ?

For those of us who live outside the city just wandering if coming in to the center via train and walking or is it better to drive in from outside (can’t think it would be) as that was/is problematic for Goodison today.

For those of us who live outside the city just wandering if coming in to the center via train and walking or is it better to drive in from outside (can’t think it would be) as that was/is problematic for Goodison today.
Screenshot_20230315_113858_Google.jpg

Train in to Moorfields then 20/25 min walk up.

I reckon it took me about 30 minutes from Lime Street Station, but I am an old codger with a dodgy knee and breathing difficulties. If you are young and fit you could probably halve that time, and there are some bars and pubs to stop off along the way if you are making a day of it. I didn't notice many parking opportunities, but I would opt for the train and walk anyway.

I reckon it took me about 30 minutes from Lime Street Station, but I am an old codger with a dodgy knee and breathing difficulties. If you are young and fit you could probably halve that time, and there are some bars and pubs to stop off along the way if you are making a day of it. I didn't notice many parking opportunities, but I would opt for the train and walk anyway.
As with all of these things, it depends on what part of the city centre you are starting from and age etc. Generally speaking, I'd say the new stadium is about 25% further walking time than most fans think it is. Myself not included as I've done it with a stop watch from various points. 😄 I very much doubt anybody could walk from Lime Street station to the new stadium in 15 minutes.

Actually, having just googled it I may have underestimated it. It is apparently 1.9 miles and Google Maps reckons a 38 min. walking time, but I do think that seems too much. I went from Lime Street through Hatton Garden and Vauxhall Road before cutting down to Regent Road, and I don't think it took 38 minutes, but I wasn't actually timing myself. It is a fair trek though.

It would be perfect if all suburbs could be served directly. Modal shift is greatly dependent on levels of convenience. Direct routes, especially mass transit on segregated tracks/lanes is the ideal solution to get most people out of their cars. The main problem is the number of buses available. It's not like the 1960s or even the pre-deregulation years anymore. There are nowhere near the number of services or buses in the system nowadays, as illustrated by soccerbus being an almost token effort only. I think most Northern suburbs will be quite well covered for direct services via Merseyrail and the existing bus services at Scotland Rd. Similarly those southern riverside suburbs along the merseyrail line too.... but the bulk of the conurbation have no direct routes to BMD.

Therefore the priority will be getting as many people into the city centre, where there are buses/trains serving all areas of the city region. The key for shuttles is short clear routes so that they can operate and turnaround fast and increase their hourly capacity, thus requiring fewer buses/drivers.

In the longer term, hopefully the whole Liverpool Waters scheme will generate a train station at Vauxhall and new/extended bus routes or even a terminus to serve it.
Some very good points there, Tom. Regards bus deregulation, Steve Rotheram (or whoever replaces him) will have control of local buses in the next few years, as the policies of the 1980's are being put into reverse in the next few years.

The parking situation for those who can't or won't give up their car won't be the best. That said, I think there are loads of derelict plots with a mile of the new ground that could be used for match day parking and a good few businesses nearby which won't be trading on a Saturday or midweek evening which would be more than willing to earn a few quid from their parking spaces.

I think things could be far better but, unfortunately, we don't live in a country that takes public transport seriously. That said, I don't think it will be the disaster some are predicting.

As with all of these things, it depends on what part of the city centre you are starting from and age etc. Generally speaking, I'd say the new stadium is about 25% further walking time than most fans think it is. Myself not included as I've done it with a stop watch from various points. 😄 I very much doubt anybody could walk from Lime Street station to the new stadium in 15 minutes.
a brisk walk is generally regarded as 3-4mph so from lime street to BMD is likely to be a walk of 25mins to 40 mins, plus add ons to each ale house along the way

I pretty much have to drive from where I live near Stockport. So parking is going to be an issue come what may. It's already a drag at Goodison and I know it will get worse, so my 5 hour day will probably turn into at least 6 hours.

The parking round Leeds street isn't as bad as some are making out, though it is far from perfect. There are a few open land spaces that are used daily for commuters and some NCP parking like that at Pall Mall (though relatively expensive). I would expect that many of those places will start to open on a match day, as it is extra income for them. The issue probably isn't space availability, its simply getting in and out. With working hours, you get some lag as people walk from different places so arrival is staggered, with this it will be a huge influx, immediately.

I reckon parking around BMD will be more plentiful than parking at Goodison. Absolutely positive there will be more off road parking