2022/23 Frank Lampard

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh we’re definitely crap. I always expected us to struggle this year, but the inability of the manager to do anything to change our fortunes is concerning at the moment. It shouldn’t be this difficult to either find a way to score goals or find a way to stop conceding them. Allowing the opposition to have infinite shots while simultaneously being unable to muster a half decent opening yourself is definitely a managerial issue. Even a non league side going to one of the big boys away in the cup is capable of getting men behind the ball, making it difficult for the opposition and causing problems on the counter or at set pieces. We don’t even seem to be able to do that at the moment.

Despite all this I still wouldn’t sack him yet, but we’re way past pretending he’s doing a good job now. He most certainly isn’t, we just have to hope that he starts soon.
Fully agree.

We do do that, because teams are happy to let us have the ball when we're chasing a game because they know we run out of ideas. We do this, we run out of ideas. We did it under Carlo, under Silva, under Bentiez, every manager.

The first 15 mins today we looked sharp. Yet nothing comes of it because it falls down in that final third, and that's down to a lack of quality.

Then after that, I do believe there isn't enough knowledge tactically from the manager/coaches and then talent on the field to change games.

But we are not trying to play possession football in the sense that it's possession for possession's sake. It's just that teams - two teams play the game, remember - are happy to let us have the ball if they have a lead, because they know the players up top offer nothing (zero threat, zero movement). Again, it comes down to that mate. There's just nothing up top so when we go long it comes back, and then we try to work our way through but nobody drops into space to receive the pass so we go sideways and then lose it. It ALL boils down to those shocking players up front.

In regards Thelwell, I think he had a ton to do in the summer and he, like Lampard, needs/needed time. I get it, but him and the board were not proactive enough. We had limited funds to change an entire squad, but this team doesn't have goals in it, which means we're struggling to play badly and win, obviously, whereas other teams with goals in them can eek out those results.

Last 4 games we have faced 92 shots.

Fulham, Leicester and Bournemouth twice.

HE

NEEDS

MORE

TIME

TO

RELEGATE

US

'he' doesn't sign players, mate.

It's the club who sign players, and the DoF. That's how it should work.

But Gana and Onana can play like that, we've seen it at times. The midfield lacks balance and I'm of firm belief he's done it in the last few games to try and get numbers forward. That being said, he's got it badly wrong in that regard, he should have just stuck with the shape he used v Palace and Fulham.

But I don't think we're playing anything like we did under Martinez. We actually played really crisply in the first 20 mins today and found space through the lines, so it was working. We just don't have anything at the end of it.

You can't seriously look at that game and think we're playing possession-based footy for the sake of it. Teams are just happy to let us have the ball once they have a lead because they know we have zero threat - because our players are crap.

Iwobi's been great this season, but know what? He's still crap. He's still nowhere near good enough to start for half of the teams in this league as their creative fulcrum. Yet he's by far our best attacking player.

Iwobi thesedays makes a good rotation option. People are talking like he and Gordon are £40mil+ level players.

For him to then just pass it straight back. lol lol

Or launches it to no mans land.

Onana doesn't look any better on the ball than Gueye right now. Garner could potentially be that player but too early to tell.

I think Lampard worries we'd get overrun in midfield with Gueye, Iwobi and Garner being the trio. He's probably right.

Strange take on Onana. Looks to be a good passer with a varied range.

I think hes pushing Iwobi + Onana up the pitch as we have no attacking threat. But were caught on the break as Gana has no positional sense and were left outnumbered in areas.

Hes got to go:

Pickford
Patterson Coady Tarkowski Mykolenko
Onana Garner
Then pick another 4 ahead of them. I think i would go 4222.

Oh yeah the midfield set up has been garbage.

It ain't 433 though, it's 4141, and we don't have the players to make it work. It's on Lampard, but I do think he's wanting more numbers forward to try and break. Teams are playing around it so easily, though.
Agreed. The more concerning aspect is one of the comments lower down points out he stuck with it at previous clubs because he had batter players.
It won't work for us and if he doesn't learn quickly, it's not going to improve the situation

Last 4 games we have faced 92 shots.

Fulham, Leicester and Bournemouth twice.

HE

NEEDS

MORE

TIME

TO

RELEGATE

US
absolutely dismal my man.

Was at the Fulham game like and don't think that was a particularly bad performance, mind, but the last three have been properly terrible.

If he was sacked tomorrow I don't think he'd be able to have many complaints. I also don't think it would solve a lot of issues.

Was at the Fulham game like and don't think that was a particularly bad performance, mind, but the last three have been properly terrible.

If he was sacked tomorrow I don't think he'd be able to have many complaints. I also don't think it would solve a lot of issues.
The first half against Fulham was at least tolerable. The second half is one of the worst we've played all year.

My issue at the minute with Lampard is he’s getting found out tactically, not by experienced managers but the likes of Gary O’Neil and Marco silva who are of similar age. Rodgers also had his pants down last week although he’s more experienced than him.
Problem we have now is do we stick it twist? If we stick then loose to wolves, City and Brighton, which is likely, do we then change when we just had 6 weeks to get a new manager in. It’s the perfect time now to change, although I don’t think we will cos we always wait too late to make decisions.
I’m really disappointed it’s come to this again just 3 weeks ago we beat palace and were looking upwards, now we’re 17th in another relegation battle looking at the manager again. It’s all unravelled very quickly, but at the end of Lampards time at Chelsea similar thing happened to him seems to be a trend.

Let's be honest mitrovic could have been clear for the goldenboot if he didn't have an off day.

If he was sacked tomorrow i wouldn't be upset.

Wolves will beat us and City will pump us something rotten then everyone will say he needs to go.

Get rid now I say.

Iwobi thesedays makes a good rotation option. People are talking like he and Gordon are £40mil+ level players.

Or launches it to no mans land.

Strange take on Onana. Looks to be a good passer with a varied range.

I think hes pushing Iwobi + Onana up the pitch as we have no attacking threat. But were caught on the break as Gana has no positional sense and were left outnumbered in areas.

Hes got to go:

Pickford
Patterson Coady Tarkowski Mykolenko
Onana Garner
Then pick another 4 ahead of them. I think i would go 4222.

Onana is capable of picking the odd pass but as a deep lying playmaker? Not for me. Turns over possession too much.

I don't think you're going to see Onana and Garner as a pair in midfield. Both new to this league. I think they'd get outplayed every bit as much as we did today.

Status
Not open for further replies.