2023/24 Youssef Chermiti

he has played 181 minutes of football. I guarantee some of these world class stars who are playing today didn’t do much in there first 181 minutes

….i’m not after him going past 3 players and smashing one in the top corner. Just a chest control and immaculate lay-off or a little something that says ‘that’ll do me’.

it really isn’t about how much time he’s been on the pitch.

Either start or unbelievably get a sub in before we've closed up shop, yes.

I want him to give his all but pretending he didn't cuz he didn't chase down 1 ball is ridiculous. If I was in his place I'd be equally as frustrated - he's not a robot, the situation he's in for the 3rd (i think?) time is the same and the service/teamplay he'll get is the same - none.

He won't get a chance like this for us unless every other *experienced* striker/forward is injured so it's irrelevant as a discussion.
If I was in his place I'd be looking to impress as he's done nothing in his career of note and has a fantastic opportunity to further his career. Bags of potential, limited game time, work for your team for 10 minutes. If this was your attitude and you were playing up front for me, you'd get in the bin.

If I was in his place I'd be looking to impress as he's done nothing in his career of note and has a fantastic opportunity to further his career. Bags of potential, limited game time, work for your team for 10 minutes. If this was your attitude and you were playing up front for me, you'd get in the bin.
If you were the manager and kept giving me 10 min a game instead of letting me prove myself I'd happily look for a loan or way out to be honest lol

Even moreso with the hindsight of knowing that even if I'd scored in those 10 min I won't get a start anyway.

I'd have subbed him off yesterday.. gave up on 50/50 balls a few times.

If you were the manager and kept giving me 10 min a game instead of letting me prove myself I'd happily look for a loan or way out to be honest lol

Even moreso with the hindsight of knowing that even if I'd scored in those 10 min I won't get a start anyway.
If you were 19 and thought you should be playing ahead of DCL I'd be concerned about your attitude like. I'd start him ahead of Beto given what we saw yesterday though.

I'd have subbed him off yesterday.. gave up on 50/50 balls a few times.
I wouldn't. That's a horrible message to send to a young kid in public. Do nothing at all for his confidence. These things can be spoken about in private. Also he really only gave up on 1 ball, and now it's looking a far bigger deal than it should be because a couple of us are having a discussion about it. It's a non issue really at this stage, just a bit disappointing as everyone needs to show fight to hold on to every precious point.

If you were 19 and thought you should be playing ahead of DCL I'd be concerned about your attitude like. I'd start him ahead of Beto given what we saw yesterday though.
If I was 19, DCL was out injured, Beto was unable to trap a ball all game and you didn't give me a sniff until the dying moments and instructed me to go out and "chase down loose balls" (again) - yeah, that'd be my attitude.

No chance he's given more than 30 min if DCL is fit though.

I wouldn't. That's a horrible message to send to a young kid in public. Do nothing at all for his confidence. These things can be spoken about in private. Also he really only gave up on 1 ball, and now it's looking a far bigger deal than it should be because a couple of us are having a discussion about it. It's a non issue really at this stage, just a bit disappointing as everyone needs to show fight to hold on to every precious point.
Can we shake hands/wangs and agree that we must fire Ashley Young into the sun and get on with our lives?

There may have been other factors in that, such as Sporting needing a striker ready to go and couldn't wait for Chermiti to develop. He is very young after all. It's definitely wait and see, one thing you've probably noticed as well as I, is that the quality of centre forwards in world football seems to be at an all time low, the 90s were awash with them, I think it's slim pickings currently.

….the skill set is so different for strikers, it’s what makes them so expensive but the DOF is paid lots to identify talent.

The two strikers we were most linked with in the summer were cheaper purchases 12 months earlier (one was Beto). Chermitti is the type we should be acquiring but the bottom line is they have to be good.

….the skill set is so different for strikers, it’s what makes them so expensive but the DOF is paid lots to identify talent.

The two strikers we were most linked with in the summer were cheaper purchases 12 months earlier (one was Beto). Chermitti is the type we should be acquiring but the bottom line is they have to be good.
I think we could identify all the talent in the world and I'm sure there was many on our list but we could only take players from clubs that let us pay for them 12 months later.

….which might be another indication that clubs were happy to get them off their books.
I think it's more that we had to pay more than the book value due to the delayed payment, you'd be a fool if you were Udinese/Sporting to not ask for more if the payment was delayed. In that case, the money might have been too good to turn down. Only time will show us if Chermiti breaks through, many players with more talent don't and some with less go on to have great careers.

If I was 19, DCL was out injured, Beto was unable to trap a ball all game and you didn't give me a sniff until the dying moments and instructed me to go out and "chase down loose balls" (again) - yeah, that'd be my attitude.

No chance he's given more than 30 min if DCL is fit though.

Well this encapsulates the worst type of attitude. How dare we tell a player to do a job. To chase. To harrass. For 15 minutes. He’s only a little baby and needs a cuddle and time to do his hair and stroll around the pitch wrapped in cotton wool getting all the time and space he needs. He doesn’t need to do anything to earn his place?? Just show up?? Shocking attitude.