Youngsters/Not Good Enough/Not Gonna Make it etc

Status
Not open for further replies.

bflefc

Player Valuation: £30m
So, nice to see plenty of positive comments now about Coleman and his progress. He'll never be a world-beater, but he certainly seems to be moving in the right direction and has a chance of being a decent player.

There were plenty of us Blues who said in the past that he just wouldn't cut it at the top level, he wasn't quite ready etc. The perseverence and blooding him seems to be paying off, and lets all hope it continues as he hones his game yet further.

Just makes you think eh?

We need to give him time before bigging him up too much. He's just started at right back and needs confidence and games, rather than people blowing 'smoke up his ass' (to coin a phrase).

He's exceeded my expectations so far, long may the 'Lidl Gareth Bale' continue to improve.

My point was being that there have been/are still other squad players who don't/won't necessarily get the same chances to come good over time.

The Barkley conundrum springs to mind, but there are others. I just wish we were able to give our youth more of a chance, blood them more and with a degree of consistency so they have a chance to get some consistency to their game.

Consigning kids to the stiffs and bench for months on end on the back of one bad game isn't necessarily the best thing.

Bah, its Monday morning so perhaps I'm dwelling too much. Time for a coffee to cheer me up.

Anichebe strikes me as an even more drastic version of this (as bad a game as he had on saturday). I think he's proven himself to be a useful squad player in the last year but it took a lot of gametime and pateince to get there and I think most of the fan wouldn't have given him as much of either.

It's interesting. One the one hand it makes you think well maybe Vellios, Duffy etc will also improve and impressive if they got that much time and on the other maybe Moyes saw something in Vic and Seamus he hasn't seen in the other kids.

Anichebe strikes me as an even more drastic version of this (as bad a game as he had on saturday). I think he's proven himself to be a useful squad player in the last year but it took a lot of gametime and pateince to get there and I think most of the fan wouldn't have given him as much of either.

It's interesting. One the one hand it makes you think well maybe Vellios, Duffy etc will also improve and impressive if they got that much time and on the other maybe Moyes saw something in Vic and Seamus he hasn't seen in the other kids.

Patience is required. Think back to the signing of Baines.

How long did he have to wait for his opportunity? A quiet lad, it could have ruined him throwing him straight in and exposing him to external pressures.

Don't expect too much too soon. Trust in the guys who do this for a living.

I think Coleman's loan at Blackpool was key for him to progress, and the likes of Duffy need the same in order to kick on!!

You're probably right with Anichebe, but i'm still that p1ssed off with his complete lack of effort against swansea that i dont want to see him on the pitch.

I think the problem is two fold now. On one hand we're battling at the right end of the table, so not only do youngsters need to be at a high level to even make the team, there's also more pressure because every point is crucial. We can't afford to blood youngsters in the acceptance that the odd bad game is to be expected.

On the other hand, we also have a really small squad, so can't really let too many youngsters go out on loan to gain first team experience. You can see from our bench that it's often filled with the kind of young talent that ideally we'd be loaning out so they get more than the odd minute at the back end of games.

The flip side to that last point is of course that if we had more senior players to fill the bench, they may block the youngsters route to the first team.

re Duffy - Can anyone see David Moyes starting a 21 year old at centre half? Or any other prem manager for that matter (who is the youngest regular starter at that position in the league out of interest?)

Seems to be a lot of conservatism around the position. Hard for these younger centre halves to get established at the top level.

re Duffy - Can anyone see David Moyes starting a 21 year old at centre half? Or any other prem manager for that matter (who is the youngest regular starter at that position in the league out of interest?)

Seems to be a lot of conservatism around the position. Hard for these younger centre halves to get established at the top level.

I imagine Villa's centre backs are about 12 years old.

I like that we are deemed to have a terrible bench and a poor squad outside the starting 11, buts its a bench full of young squad players people want us to play.
They can't be both not good enough for the bench but good enough of first team football.. Makes no sense to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.