Will we spend big in Summer 2020?

Will Everton spend big (70m+?) in the summer 2020 transfer window?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Schneiderlin , Walcott , bolasie and Sandro will all be entering the last year of there contract in July , suppose it depends on how low of a offer Everton will accept for them

I would give Sandro and Bolasie away for free, I don’t think anyone would pay a fee for them. We could squeeze £5-10m each out of someone for the other two and Tosun.

Well we have already proven that spending big in relative terms doesn't necessarily work.

Spending well is the main thing, you can spend big and well, but you can also make the most of your budget if things are tight.

We need to apply most focus to players in the <25 bracket that can start on modest wages and target the European market where there is still value.

I'd also like to see us focus on quality and potential over numbers, three well-made signings can transform a team and squad infinitely more than six average signings.

We can't fix all of our problems in a single window, not that we have fixed them in the last four either, but I think if its started from a more specific premise, we are more likely to succeed.

We have to have a clear idea of what it is as a club we want to achieve season by season, and plan accordingly. There seemed to be an approach with the Koeman splurge that we could catapult our way into the top four but we actually never had the budget to do it in that timeframe so an alternative took hold where we in my view compromised on quality and/or the potential for quality in the medium-term to get numbers in to fill a lot of holes. The moment that gets internalised as a strategy is the moment you must accept wasting and losing money.

In a way I am fine with the lack of activity in January if it means we couldn't get any of the players we might like now, and are prepared to wait rather than start the money wasting cycle all over again.

A lot of people seem to think we’ll go big in the summer and we’ve kept our powder dry this January.

Clearly we’re limited by financial fair play at the moment - has anyone done the maths and worked out how much we’ll legally be able to spend this summer (before any sales and based on current sponsorship deals)?

Obviously I hope Uncle Uzzy bankrolls us and we win the Euros and the Olympics, but I’m not getting my hopes up given the financial situation.

Thoughts, and votes on the poll welcome.
I hope someone has done the maths. I hope it's someone at the club rather than just members of this forum.

Well we have already proven that spending big in relative terms doesn't necessarily work.

Spending well is the main thing, you can spend big and well, but you can also make the most of your budget if things are tight.

We need to apply most focus to players in the <25 bracket that can start on modest wages and target the European market where there is still value.

I'd also like to see us focus on quality and potential over numbers, three well-made signings can transform a team and squad infinitely more than six average signings.

We can't fix all of our problems in a single window, not that we have fixed them in the last four either, but I think if its started from a more specific premise, we are more likely to succeed.

We have to have a clear idea of what it is as a club we want to achieve season by season, and plan accordingly. There seemed to be an approach with the Koeman splurge that we could catapult our way into the top four but we actually never had the budget to do it in that timeframe so an alternative took hold where we in my view compromised on quality and/or the potential for quality in the medium-term to get numbers in to fill a lot of holes. The moment that gets internalised as a strategy is the moment you must accept wasting and losing money.

In a way I am fine with the lack of activity in January if it means we couldn't get any of the players we might like now, and are prepared to wait rather than start the money wasting cycle all over again.

Stands and applauds, excellent post mate and my thinking exactly.

A lot of people seem to think we’ll go big in the summer and we’ve kept our powder dry this January.

Clearly we’re limited by financial fair play at the moment - has anyone done the maths and worked out how much we’ll legally be able to spend this summer (before any sales and based on current sponsorship deals)?

Obviously I hope Uncle Uzzy bankrolls us and we win the Euros and the Olympics, but I’m not getting my hopes up given the financial situation.

Thoughts, and votes on the poll welcome.
£70+M ? Easy.
Will we get value for our £70+M?...hmm? - Can't afford not to really.

Is it only Martina and Niasses contracts that are up ?

Surely we'll get three or four additions to the squad, hopefully all of which will be first team material, and our manager starts to put his own stamp on the team.
Steklenberg and Baines also. Summer of 21 there's a good bunch of the unsellables gone.

If we clear some wages off the books even for a relatively low price, we at least open the market place of players nearing the end of their contracts were the fees are low but wages higher. A couple of those (hopefully that Carlo knows) and a couple of the more normal transfer fee/ wage types and we could do something.

As ever we have to be quite creative in dealings to get the most from the market. An interesting summer awaits. The January window sucks.

I'd imagine a couple are lined up already with the wages that are dropping off the bill come season end.

Dunno if the outlay or net spend will be very high but with Ancelotti here I'd be amazed if we don't end the window happy

But we are a hideously stupid club so there's that

I'd imagine a couple are lined up already with the wages that are dropping off the bill come season end.

Dunno if the outlay or net spend will be very high but with Ancelotti here I'd be amazed if we don't end the window happy

But we are a hideously stupid club so there's that

I can see Gylfi, Walcott and Schnederlin going for money this summer with their contract situations.

Niasse/Baines/Stek/Martina contracts are all up in the summer so that's 4 players instantly gone.
Then we have the wasters like Morgan/Tosun/Sandro/Bolasie who we should probably get whatever we can for these players and get rid so hopefully we'll have 8 players gone quite quickly and in my view we only need 3-5 decent players for the summer.

Why do people equate spending big to being successful ? It’s not about spending big, it’s about spending on the right players. It matters not if a player costs 50 million or 5 million if he does the job you require of him. Spending loads might get success agreed but not always.

As people have said, it's all about trimming the squad (which will be helped with the contracts ending for some of the dross). But I'd imagine Carlo wouldn't have come without the guarantee that he can build his own team, and I'm sure he will have targets. Trim the squad and add some quality. Don't have to spend the world to create a better team.

I might be too optimistic, but a couple of good midfielders would change our whole team.

Transfers are so much easier in the summer, there's so much value for money and no need to panic buy, but I can personally see Moshiri keeping his powder dry for summer 2021. The focus this summer should be on reducing the squad and making ourselves weaker, so that we can really, really spend in summer 2021.

Status
Not open for further replies.