Who should be our starting striker???

Who should be our starting striker

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Beckford missess too many oppurtunities for my liking, by missing the target not by stupendous saves from an opposition keeper. IMHO.

Yakubu, just need's to get his scoring boots on, much like the rest of the team!!

Becks has missed a lot in recent games, but his running and positioning is getting him the chances, which Saha and Yakubu aren't getting. Becks gets the nod from me for 90 minutes.

Beckford - granted he may be League One [Poor language removed] but at least he looks like he's trying.

from what i've seen of beckford, i don't think the issue is that the premiership is too much for him. He has shown that he can get into scoring positions, which is the difficult part imo. once he's beaten his man and has the ball at his feet, finishing is almost the same regardless of the league. he's creating great opportunities, and is doing well to find space in attacking areas against premier league defenders, so i think its just an issue of confidence.

i really think the goal will help, it might take a season or two for him to fully hit his stride with us (shame he made the step up so late in his career) but i definitely see a lot of potential

whats so evil about 4-4-2

why cant we have 2 strikers like most other teams?

Don't have a prob with 4-5-1 especially with Cahill in the side and the sad goal tally of all our strikers this year. We just have to get someone in the box when Baines/Peanut is attacking. Saha especially he just floats on the outside of the box now.

As a manager at decent level I would go with the form player and thats Beckford albeit not very good form, but he is getting in great positions and has scored a couple, needs a run I would say, we will then know by January whether he is good enough or not.

In my opinion he's just done enough to start for me.

for me has to be becks far from the finished article but....saha just doesnt do it for it and one of my personal pet peeves with him is he rarely evers releases the ball early waits till he hes surrounded so its looks better ...
i thought the yak was gettin back sum form and just needed a goal but it hasnt worked out for him again

I see Beckford is running away with it....

But i didn't hesitate on clicking on Tony Hibbert.

I have great admiration for his conduct as a professional, but feel he is not good enough to get us where we are going. But i tell you what....I'd stick him up front before I'd sack him. He couldn't be any worse than what we've currently got, could he??

Also, a quick shout out to Jermaine Beckford. Last week I was livid at his missed opportunities and didn't think he could cut it. I didn't watch the Chelsea game at all after the calamitous ref decision that we would NEVER EVER get if it was the other way round, but nonetheless he was on the scoresheet and earned us a point. Well done Mr Beckford, credit where credit is due.

The Yak for me too. I know Beckford just scored, but the Yak -- if we play 4-5-1 -- is the only striker to really fit into that role and thrive in it.

I'd rather see the Yak and Beckford together though, starting.

I don't want to alarm anyone ... but we're probably not going to win the league this year. Giving time to "28 year old" Yakubu at this point doesn't make a lot of sense to me -- we need to find out what we have in Beckford. I'm not saying we stick with him for the rest of the season no matter what, but he deserves a regular run to see if he can sort it out. He's shown flashes of late and I think his upside is the highest at this point.

Whether it's Moyes fault; Yak's fault, Yak's injury ... or a combination of that and a bunch of other reasons, the upshot is that Yak hasn't looked all that good. He's had a few flashes but he's missed a lot of chances as well and has generally not looked that up for it. Even when 100% fit and motivated he's always been a very streaky player and if he's not on a scoring streak it can be often be a long wait for him to get back on one ... especially long when you are playing one striker. I'd take Yak over Saha though of course, that goes without saying. Saha shouldn't play another minute all season as far as I'm concerned.

As for playing two strikers I can't get my head around it -- strikers in general have been our worst players all year. Putting two of them on and pushing Cahill (tied with Baines for player of the year thus far?) back into midfield (or onto the bench) seems like a recipe for eliminating the few goals we have scored.

Status
Not open for further replies.