What do the best players want?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have always felt that a player going to a wealthy club like City, Chelsea or Utd does not have the real drive to prove themselves as the best in the world.
I think the classic example was Maradona going to Italy with Napoli and turning them into a championship team.
If Wayne Rooney had stayed at Everton and won a premiership title with us, he would be considered in the same league as greats like Ball, Labone, Deane.
The Utd fans are already turning against him now that his form is dipping. In ten years time when they talk about their greatest players I am not sure he will be mentioned.

True ambition is being able to transform a whole club or your national side. Joining a band of more highly paid talented mercenaries makes you rich but maybe not a legend.

I have always felt that a player going to a wealthy club like City, Chelsea or Utd does not have the real drive to prove themselves as the best in the world.
I think the classic example was Maradona going to Italy with Napoli and turning them into a championship team.
If Wayne Rooney had stayed at Everton and won a premiership title with us, he would be considered in the same league as greats like Ball, Labone, Deane.
The Utd fans are already turning against him now that his form is dipping. In ten years time when they talk about their greatest players I am not sure he will be mentioned.

True ambition is being able to transform a whole club or your national side. Joining a band of more highly paid talented mercenaries makes you rich but maybe not a legend.

Hmm...not sure I agree with that. Ronaldo going to RM certainly doesn't mean he didn't have the drive to be considered the best or one of the two best in the world.

Rooney should have gone to Spurs a couple of years ago, he could've been exactly what they needed at the time to really challenge. He's pretty much done it all at Utd, never going to go to Europe, why not take a small step down and take on a challenge?

I guess footballers don't relish that challenge. If you're good enough, you'll get to play for a top club with other really good players. You never get the feeling Real or Barcelona players are pushing themselves to their limits, except in the odd CL game.

The Times today reckon that players such as Ronaldo, Neymar, Messi et al prefer to play in La Liga as they have a much better chance of scoring 40 goals per season plus thereby putting themselves in line for the Ballon d'Or whereas playing in the Prem, they'd only get 20-25 goals.

Chuffing prima donnas.

(In any case, all Ronaldo wants is a kick boxer called Harri - allegedly)

They need the top players to grow the game in America. While attendance is at an all time high, it is a poor performer on TV.

The league is only 20 years old, and for the most part they've done a great job of being patient with growth. Recruiting top talent past their prime has been a model that's helped, but the next step will be getting a Ronaldo still in their prime.

Giovinco was a great signing for the league this year, and I reckon more players like him will join in the immediate future.
They need to figure out a better TV schedule. All the "games of the week" and most of the playoffs were on Sundays in the middle of football season.

Hmm...not sure I agree with that. Ronaldo going to RM certainly doesn't mean he didn't have the drive to be considered the best or one of the two best in the world.
He got himself to the top. But where do you go from there? Sure, it's harder to stay at the top than to get to the top, as they say, but wouldn't you expect they would want a more interesting challenge after being up there for so long?

I've thought about this before but with managers in mind. Thought of Guardiola managing Barca and Bayern and how, despite the fact he's probably doing a good job, how hard is that really with the players and resources at your disposal. Let's see him take Everton to title challengers, that'd impress me.

Maradona moving to Napoli is a perfect example, can't think of too many others though.
There are probably more examples of players who could have chased the big money but opted to stay where they are - Le Tissier, Steve Bull etc

Like championship manager when i first got it many years ago...

After a while you just start at the very bottom and build from there until youre winning titles with small clubs...

Or in real life when you leave a big company and setup yourself...

If i was a manager at the top level id do the same but of course its also the thrill of the number of fans and their egos.

Didnt Edgar Davids take over a small english team?

I've thought about this before but with managers in mind. Thought of Guardiola managing Barca and Bayern and how, despite the fact he's probably doing a good job, how hard is that really with the players and resources at your disposal. Let's see him take Everton to title challengers, that'd impress me.

Status
Not open for further replies.