Very interesting article on how Everton's Secret Finch Farm room

Status
Not open for further replies.
He has it now and cant even sign anyone!

meh, the window has not closed yet.

MUFC's transfer business didn't look all that impressive at this point last season (I think only Kagawa at this point?) and then they signed RVP and that quickly changed.

would this journalist have been arsed this time last year? no is the answer, he's trying to suck up to him cos he's now part of utd. worst thing about that article is that it that states the premier league list never had a player from the top six!!!! no wonder we didn't go any higher, always looking at lesser targets.

It does seem harsh to knock him, although he didn't win anything.

It depends what you class as success. He made us a top 6 side, after 6 years of decline before he arrived, so he deserves credit for that.

I'm no particular Moyes apologist, and was actually glad he left as I thought we were going stale, but I think it is very harsh to knock Moyes for the job he did here. Given the financial restraints I don't think there's much more he could've done in terms of league position. Ok a trophy would've been nice but there were only 2 trophies to play for each year (FA and League Cups), so the was always a small margin for error. My main gripe with him was the small club mentality and the defensive football.

would this journalist have been arsed this time last year? no is the answer, he's trying to suck up to him cos he's now part of utd. worst thing about that article is that it that states the premier league list never had a player from the top six!!!! no wonder we didn't go any higher, always looking at lesser targets.

Especially strange given we signed Gibson in the very transfer window referred too.

No, this journalist clearly wasn't arsed this time last year when he decided to dedicate a whole section of his book to Moyes and his role at Everton.

Or is it that Top 6 players would generally be more expensive as they come with a premium and especially to sell them to a rival? And just a cursory glance at our signings will show we have actually bought a large amount from Top 6 sides when we bought people to shore parts up but we could never buy one of their star players.

I'm no particular Moyes apologist, and was actually glad he left as I thought we were going stale, but I think it is very harsh to knock Moyes for the job he did here. Given the financial restraints I don't think there's much more he could've done in terms of league position. Ok a trophy would've been nice but there were only 2 trophies to play for each year (FA and League Cups), so the was always a small margin for error. My main gripe with him was the small club mentality and the defensive football.
Good post mate. The manner of his leaving really seems to have soured peoples opinion of his legacy. Moyes, while he was here, positively influenced the team. He was not a total success, but he did this with severe restrictions and having the soul of his team taken from him.
At the moment it just seems some want to prove how "over" Moyes they are by berating him at every opportunity. I shouldn't have to justify myself for thinking he did a good job.

"Too many cooks....." and "too much analysis causes paralysis" comes to mind, no wonder the tag "dithering dave" has followed since his Preston days.

Spotting decent players is perhaps the most over-rated part of a managers duties, take the Betis game every man and his dog could pick out the young fella for Betis - Mabwati number 22 - it's just a case of is he a nutter? how much? and there you go.

No wonder we hardly signed anyone.

Good post mate. The manner of his leaving really seems to have soured peoples opinion of his legacy. Moyes, while he was here, positively influenced the team. He was not a total success, but he did this with severe restrictions and having the soul of his team taken from him.
At the moment it just seems some want to prove how "over" Moyes they are by berating him at every opportunity. I shouldn't have to justify myself for thinking he did a good job.

I think in time more people will come to appreciate the job Moyes did. Right now everyone's excited for a brand of free flowing football and a new direction, there's bound to be an attitude of shoving two fingers towards the last regime. We're terrible as football fans though, give it three months and we're leaking a lot of goals there'll be plenty longing for his return.

"Too many cooks....." and "too much analysis causes paralysis" comes to mind, no wonder the tag "dithering dave" has followed since his Preston days.

Spotting decent players is perhaps the most over-rated part of a managers duties, take the Betis game every man and his dog could pick out the young fella for Betis - Mabwati number 22 - it's just a case of is he a nutter? how much? and there you go.

You can't argue with the fact he had an infinitely better record in the market than most of our competitors. It doesn't just happen through luck. I bet there are managers who take your approach to signing players, they're on a hiding to nothing with that.

At the moment it just seems some want to prove how "over" Moyes they are by berating him at every opportunity.

Exactly this. I was a Moyes fan, and I can feel myself falling for this way of thinking. I have enough self-awareness to realise that's what it is - but plenty of fans seem to have turned on him for no other reason than he left us for the biggest job in world football.

I think he'll be unearthing some absolutely brilliant talent at United. No more financial restraints to stop him signing those big names of tomorrow. It's a tricky art, bringing the right players in. Many managers seemingly have massive problems with it. If it was easy we wouldn't see huge amounts of money wasted on utter, utter tosh as often as we do. The boy Moist is on another level to pretty much everyone in the premier league at this transfer lark.

if not for him we very well could have ended up over the last decade like West Ham, Bolton, Sunderland, etc etc
Rotation of players and managers throughout promotion and relegation runs
Its still fresh at the moment so everyone is ****ging him off at every opportunity like a scorned lover, but in time I reckon he'll be given the appreciation he deserves.
I am happy with the change because I feel all parties needed it, and I'm excited for Martinez's Everton, but it is the qualities described in the article that has allowed Everton to be where it is right now despite the restraints.

If you want to blame someone for not signing players from the top 6, taking our time and dithering, the need for this system or hardly signing anyone look a bit closer to home.

I think everyone who posts regular will already know each others opinions on Moyes. Mine weren't great, but, I'd say perhaps only Wenger can touch him in terms of transfers and had that not been the case this club would be up shiit creek without a paddle.

Status
Not open for further replies.