VAR

I Know where you are coming from. You are talking about an individual game where both teams can either gain or lose out. But thats not the point. The flaw in the system is the example that a team can go on to win the cup over a replay that they should have been knocked out in the first tie but wasnt because there was no VAR but went through in the second game because there was. You've got to take that flaw out.
Yep. Generally speaking Man U will beat Harrogate Town 9 times out of 10. The beauty of unseeded knockout cup competitions is that everyone (even the mightiest) can have an off day - but the odds of them having 2 off days reduces significantly. That's partly why many of the historically great teams didn't win the cup and why the domestic double was such a rare thing. If Man U's (or City, Chelsea, RS, etc) off day is saved through a lack of VAR and others are knocked out because Var is available for their matches, then it's not a fair competition and we may as well introduce seeding and let the Sky 6 enter at the 5th round stage.

I’m unconvinced I’m afraid. VAR should have no part in the FA Cup.
Given that people are more and more indifferent to the cup and more and more people hate VAR scrapping it for the cup would also be a good way of reviving the competition.

That game earlier wasn’t much of a contest but the lack of VAR breaks still made it a breath of fresh air.

Yep. Generally speaking Man U will beat Harrogate Town 9 times out of 10. The beauty of unseeded knockout cup competitions is that everyone (even the mightiest) can have an off day - but the odds of them having 2 off days reduces significantly. That's partly why many of the historically great teams didn't win the cup and why the domestic double was such a rare thing. If Man U's (or City, Chelsea, RS, etc) off day is saved through a lack of VAR and others are knocked out because Var is available for their matches, then it's not a fair competition and we may as well introduce seeding and let the Sky 6 enter at the 5th round stage.

Nailed it. The premier league home teams are statistically going to have more chances and possession at home than away. And more likely to get VAR decisions.
Its an awful call to have VAR for premier league home games in the FA cup. But then im not surprised how crap they are at running the game now.

Remember how crap the games were with no fans? Well, not crap, but a tough watch. The reverse happened earlier in Sunderland. We were reminded how footie should be, and the game wasnt even all that.
Yeh tricky to watch us in the top four at this stage of the season

Imo, VAR should be used only for the following incidents:

- Off the ball incidents, or non tackling violent behaviour.
- Offside, if no part of the attackers body is level with the defender. If the attacker is even marginally level, then it's not that clear and obvious, is it?
-Penalties where no contact has been made
-instances of the ball going out of play
As another poster said… completely agree with this one.

All of the above are examples of incidents which can easily be missed by officials and therefore the video assistance should be required.

It should NOT be for re-officiating decisions made on field when there are many live factors to be considered and not just a thousand replays to find something wrong.

How can you run a competition ie the FA cup where VAR is not used it all the games surely this cannot be considered fair .

Which begs the question would our 2nd "goal" have been allowed

The English Football League system has been infiltrated by this American mindset of "EVERY play needs to be reviewed because we have to morally get every call correct". Well now you see the result of this American mindset. 20 years ago in America, we thought certain plays needed to be reviewed because you could see a live play should not have happened due to XYZ (pending sport): shot clock goes off in basketball before/after the ball was in the players hand, a 4th and 1 in American football and play happens with a ball being placed short of the first down maker, or a fan reaching over the wall in baseball to interfere an outfielder from catching a ball.

But where did this play review start?

In my opinion, this fever of plays NEEDING to be reviewed started on October 9, 1996 at Yankee Stadium in the Bronx, New York. Quoting the historical event from wikipedia just for summary purposes:

"During Game 1 of the 1996 American League Championship Series between the New York Yankees and the Baltimore Orioles, Maier deflected a batted ball, hit by Derek Jeter, into the Yankee Stadium stands for what umpires ruled to be a home run, rather than fan interference. His interference altered the course of Game 1,[1] as the resulting home run allowed the Yankees to tie the score.[2] They emerged victorious from the game and won the series four games to one en route to winning the World Series."

If yall watch the replay this kid, who was 12 at the time, literally stuck his glove over the wall and interfered with the outfielder.

"Jeffrey Maier (born November 15, 1983) is an American baseball fan who received media attention for an incident in which he was involved as a 12-year-old at a baseball game."

The national outcry at the time was WE NEED TO GET ALL THE CALLS CORRECT. So gradually we started seeing reviews in all sports. One of the more famous plays NOT REVIEWED was the 2002 College Football National Championship game between the University of Miami and Ohio State University =

THIS IS NOT PASS INTERFERENCE!!!!!!!!!!!! A simple review would have overturned that call and Miami would have (should have) won this game. But now we review every stupid pass interference in 2023/2024.

The catch by Dez Bryant of the Dallas Cowboys, another famous replay overturn WHICH WAS A CATCH:

The catch by Calvin Johnson of the Detroit Lions in 2010, a replay overturned this catch:

I have even sat through replays in meaningless college volleyball matches my wife takes me to in the San Diego area. You sit there watching one team beat the crap out of the other, but yet they want to review one play that is worthless to the outcome of the match. I am 35, born in 1988, so I have seen a lot of change in sports specifically in the last 25 years. Replays overturning good plays and replays not being used to overturn bad calls. This disease of "WE HAVE TO GET EVERYTHING RIGHT" has caused plenty of old dogs, like me, to because frustrated in watching sports. There are multiple reasons we, as sport viewers, do not like replays which are very obvious. However, at the end of the day this is an American mindset in my opinion. My brother-in-law is Irish. My sister and BIL reside in Dublin with their 3 kids. He is a Liverpool supporter. I have warned him for over a decade to resist ALL American mind sets in the game of football and daily life. All American business minded people care about is PROFITS AND MARGIN. So = AVOID AVOID AVOID especially in football. My advice = "Say NO to Drugs and Americans", except me I am cool.

This method is used in American Football, and has worked quite well for a number of years, that is, each team has a number of appeals that can be made. The appeal is only used up if the on-field decision is not overturned, i.e. if you turn out to be correct to challenge the decision, you shouldnt lose the ability to appeal future decisions.

It makes sense to do it this way, as you can rely upon teams to save their challenges for when it counts most, but also for when they feel they have a good chance of getting the original decision overturned. This solves the issue of var checks being made or not being made in the hands of dodgy match officials, but not the actual decision...so, half the problem resolved.
And Klopp uses all his appeals before kick off. I'm here for it.

Nice one.
Semi finals of league cup not being subject to VAR. This because Boro haven't got set up. Agreement reached that to ensure integrity VAR will not be implemented.

This should be the final nail in the coffin for VAR. it was meant to stop clear and obvious errors. The FA have now admitted that VAR has actually introduced an officiating error that wouldn’t otherwise have happened.
VAR needs a serious, comprehensive review but the one thing they should put in place immediately as a result of this is that all replays for things like foul play should be at full speed only.

Slo-mo should only be used for determining objective fact, like whether the ball touches a hand.