Tim Howard

Status
Not open for further replies.
howard will still be here next season imo.

and Kasper Schmeichel will not be willing to play the understudy to anyone either.

would rather see Robles as our no.1 next season. Howard is erratic when coming off his line and has cost us on several occasions this season. and let's not even get into his distribution-utterly awful.

I was pretty critical of Howard last season but I think he's been really good this season. Yea, he should have done better at chelsea but he has also saved us in a good few games.

On his distribution, I couldn't disagree more, Under Moyes he would hoof the ball up to the halfway line or further and we'd loose it, this year he's far more integrated in to the back line, almost acting like a sweeper at times. He bowls the ball out to the attacking full backs pretty fast and keeps the game going. We have no problem getting the ball from our goal to the final third.

And from what I've seen of Roebles, there's no way I'd drop Howard for him (yet). Although I do like the element of loyalty in Martines's game and hope Robles gets his start tomorrow.

I was pretty critical of Howard last season but I think he's been really good this season. Yea, he should have done better at chelsea but he has also saved us in a good few games.

On his distribution, I couldn't disagree more, Under Moyes he would hoof the ball up to the halfway line or further and we'd loose it, this year he's far more integrated in to the back line, almost acting like a sweeper at times. He bowls the ball out to the attacking full backs pretty fast and keeps the game going. We have no problem getting the ball from our goal to the final third.

And from what I've seen of Roebles, there's no way I'd drop Howard for him (yet). Although I do like the element of loyalty in Martines's game and hope Robles gets his start tomorrow.
I thought he was good last season because he didn't need to do much outside of the basics. As long as he could keep the ball out of the net he was doing his job. Moyes played a deep defensive line so he was very rarely, if ever, required to come off of his line and act as a sweeper. His distribution was no issue as Moyes was happy for him to hoof it at every opportunity.

This season however I believe he has been exposed because he needs to be more reactive and act as a sweeper at times. Sunderland at home when he gave the penalty away was a disaster. The second Sturridge goal at Anfield was just utterly brainless and the same for the missed penalty. I think his distribution is really bad tbh, if he is pressed then he looks incredibly vulnerable and he will either pass it to a teammate in a difficult position or simply give it away. In terms of throwing it out then that's not an issue, but most goalkeepers can do that.

he's a good shot stopper but for a team that wants to play more aggressive and possession based then I don't think he is good enough.

I thought he was good last season because he didn't need to do much outside of the basics. As long as he could keep the ball out of the net he was doing his job. Moyes played a deep defensive line so he was very rarely, if ever, required to come off of his line and act as a sweeper. His distribution was no issue as Moyes was happy for him to hoof it at every opportunity.

This season however I believe he has been exposed because he needs to be more reactive and act as a sweeper at times. Sunderland at home when he gave the penalty away was a disaster. The second Sturridge goal at Anfield was just utterly brainless and the same for the missed penalty. I think his distribution is really bad tbh, if he is pressed then he looks incredibly vulnerable and he will either pass it to a teammate in a difficult position or simply give it away. In terms of throwing it out then that's not an issue, but most goalkeepers can do that.

he's a good shot stopper but for a team that wants to play more aggressive and possession based then I don't think he is good enough.
I agree with most of that, but the way Martinez sets his defenses up, you need an absolute world beater of a keeper not to make any mistakes and for me that's not Robles. I don't think he did much wrong against Sunderland and I can't comment on the Anfield game as I've blocked it from my memory!

Hes been superb for most of the season, I see no reason to offload him just yet.

This, spot on, Howard has had a good season, its one area of the park we dont need to look at. We could only think of a replacement if we had money to burn, we dont.

Come on Tim lad.

If we're getting to Wembley we need you to play well.

US 'Merica US 'Merica.

american-flag-640x480_20100624114240_640_480.JPG

When one of those long shots come flying in its like watching one of the walking dead.

Next season I think Robles will begin getting more games for us with a view to being 1st choice the following year.

Status
Not open for further replies.