Move Baines or leave him where he is

• Play him in midfield & Garbutt LB

Votes: 50 41.7%
  • Keep him at left back

Votes: 70 58.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
If we were a bit crap in the midfield area then, fine, try Baines there, but we've got Barry, McCarthy, Gibson and the Godly figure of Besic who are all boss..

Keep him at LB and ease Garbutt in FFS
Part of the issue is that we aren't actually as strong in midfield as we should be: observe our struggles following Mccarthy's injury. Gibson seems incapable of keeping fit, Osman and Barry are not going to be playing there in two years' time... there are plenty of us on here advocating signing Delph on a pre-contract in January, for instance.

It is perfectly legitimate to take the long view and discuss how we can go about keeping Garbutt and Oviedo, both of whom look exciting prospects. One option, and it is not the ONLY option, which dovetails nicely into the above point is trying Baines out in CM - he has pace that Barry and Gibson can only dream of, is a solid tackler, is positionally sound in a defensive sense and can burst forward in possession, as demonstrated countless times on the left.

I for one look at our current CM depth and think as follows: McCarthy, Barry, Besic and Gibson does not actually look as good a lineup to me as McCarthy, Baines, Besic, and Delph would. And the second option allows us to give more game time to Oviedo and Garbutt at LB, but I also wonder if Oviedo can slot into CM in the same way that we are discussing Baines possibly doing?

EQUALLY, we could simply loan Garbutt out at a decent level (another prem team, or a bundesliga / eredivisie club) for a season and use Oviedo as LB cover and rotation for Pienaar. I think loaning Garbutt out somewhere where he will get 30 starts at a strong competitive level is actually the best thing for all parties at this point.

Garbutt looks a really good, exciting young player who could, in time, be a really good performer in that position. However, do you not think its madness to move arguably the best left back in the league into what would be his less effective role so we can shoehorn a player who we have seen a few times and looks quite good?

Yes, Baines is older than Garbutt is and we will eventually need cover in that area, but with that you have pure experience and knowledge of the position. I think Garbutt is coming if age at a bad time in terms of breaking into th first team because he simply won't get in ahead of Baines so will look for first team football elsewhere.

Personally, I think the notion of moving Baines infield sounds a bit of a Guardiola-esque fantasy and probably shouldn't happen.

What makes anyone think Baines could play well in central midfield? He would be absolutely annihilated in that position.

Garbutt looks a really good, exciting young player who could, in time, be a really good performer in that position. However, do you not think its madness to move arguably the best left back in the league into what would be his less effective role so we can shoehorn a player who we have seen a few times and looks quite good?

Yes, Baines is older than Garbutt is and we will eventually need cover in that area, but with that you have pure experience and knowledge of the position. I think Garbutt is coming if age at a bad time in terms of breaking into th first team because he simply won't get in ahead of Baines so will look for first team football elsewhere.

Personally, I think the notion of moving Baines infield sounds a bit of a Guardiola-esque fantasy and probably shouldn't happen.

I agree with this totally, Baines is having a good season at left back, and we should play our best players in their best positions. Shoehorning players into an XI never works - England have been trying for the last 4 decades

Status
Not open for further replies.