Team for the City game?

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the team that out-played City - but lost to a disputed penalty - at the Etihad last season.

In hindsight, it looks very odd! But it did its job well.
  • 24 Howard
  • 02 Hibbert 06 Jagielka 15 Distin 03 Baines
  • 17 Besic (Barkley) 18 Barry
  • 23 Coleman 05 Eto'o 11 Mirallas (Osman)
  • 10 Lukaku

Maybe an idea to put McCarthy or Besic on the right in the first half to stop the danger on the wing from Kolarov coming forward and Sterling.

I know that stifles us going forward a little more, but the way City have started we need to protect from the off IMO. Probably McCarthy for me and Besic come in and sit on David Silva.

Cleverley will have his work cut out protecting Galloway too.

Id put Kev in for Kone. As good as he was on Saturday, Coleman will need more protection this time round and Kone did not offer that.

I thought when Everton were in possession, Kone played in the centre. Otherwise, he played on the right wing. Lennon would support Coleman, but I haven't much faith in Mirallas.

Judging by yesterday's game, Aguero will again be the danger. But City have such strength that it isn't practical to concentrate on a single player. We'll have to match them in midfield.

I thought when Everton were in possession, Kone played in the centre. Otherwise, he played on the right wing. Lennon would support Coleman, but I haven't much faith in Mirallas.

Judging by yesterday's game, Aguero will again be the danger. But City have such strength that it isn't practical to concentrate on a single player. We'll have to match them in midfield.

I agree, midfield and stopping the runs of Toure and feeding Silva and Aguero are the key.

Coleman--Jags---Stones--Galloway
-----------Besic---Barry-------------
McCarthy------Barkley----Cleverley
--------------Lukaku-----------------

But I wouldn't be surprised if he gives the lads who did such a good job on Saturday the opportunity to do it again.

This is the team that out-played City - but lost to a disputed penalty - at the Etihad last season.

In hindsight, it looks very odd! But it did its job well.
  • 24 Howard
  • 02 Hibbert 06 Jagielka 15 Distin 03 Baines
  • 17 Besic (Barkley) 18 Barry
  • 23 Coleman 05 Eto'o 11 Mirallas (Osman)
  • 10 Lukaku

It was actually 3-4-3 for most of the game:

Howard
Hibbert Jags Distin
Coleman Besic Barry Baines
Mirallas Lukaku Eto'o​

Though we finished the game as you say:

Howard
Hibbert Jags Distin Baines
Barkley Barry
Coleman Eto'o Osman
Lukaku
I think to say we outplayed is an overstatement, but we were certainly unfortunate to lose the game. Especially given it was never a pen and they should of had a man sent off. A draw would have been a fair result.
Personally I wouldn't mind the same team that beat Southampton, but at the same time I wouldn't blame the manager if he reverted back to his usual 4-2-3-1 with McCarthy and Barry holding. I've no problem playing 2 DMs when we are up against it with a superior team, especially when they've got Toure in the middle.

Aguero looked pretty sharp yesterday, but I have complete faith in John Stones to do a job on him.
I am most worried about Yaya running at Barry. I really think that Barkley needs to step up and look after that because he is the only midfielder in the team that can match his physicality and speed.

Another team we should try and spank on the break. Not a fan of changing a winning team, they've just won 3-0 and dropping a player could affect them too much and won't help with motivation. If it doesn't work then throw Kev and or Gerri on and see how that goes.

Think Roberto might set up the same way as the United game last season when we destroyed them on the counter.
This 100%. Let them come on to us then hit them on the break. City were outstanding at times going forward yesterday, but with our ability to counter with pace, this could be their achilles heel. An in form Lukaku will give Kompany a lot more grief than that lumbering oaf Costa.

After that 2-0 battering by the Mackems last week, we need to change a few things - although I doubt that Walter Smith will actually do that this time around.

I think Gascoigne and Jeffers are out for the next month and a half, so we're going to be forced to play just the one upfront unless Smith fancies Cadameateri.

Gerrard in goals, although I do feel it may be worth a shout to give Simonsen a shot at being our number one. We still haven't replaced Southall.

Back four will be the usual. Watson on the right, Weir and Unsworth as our centreback pairing with Ball on the left. Also, nice to see Richard Dunne doing so well for City. We shouldn't have left him go as he offers the physicality that Unsworth can't.

Midfield 5 of Naysmith, Gravesen, Nyarko and Pembridge - we have to drop Alexandersson after his bad performances in recent times.

Campbell upfront, but if Smith actually wants to win then I'd swap Unsworth for Cadamarteri and go with a 4-4-2.

COYB.

It was actually 3-4-3 for most of the game:

Howard
Hibbert Jags Distin
Coleman Besic Barry Baines
Mirallas Lukaku Eto'o​

Everton manager Roberto Martinez thought two City players Eliaquim Mangala and Fernando should both have been sent off for high boots, Mangala catching Samuel Eto'o in the back with a kung-fu style kick and Fernando making contact with Gareth Barry's head.

He was also fuming at the key penalty decision after 24 minutes when James Milner tumbled as Phil Jagielka ran across which was ruled a deliberate barge by Mr Marriner but a legitimate shoulder-to-shoulder challenge by Martinez.

But there were jitters towards the end as mid-table Everton had a late rally. Their best opening arrived after 82 minutes and Romelu Lukaku couldn't believe that Joe Hart stuck out a strong left hand to his shot and tipped the ball away.

Yes, that looks more like it. It was another enterprising selection by Martinez - the man who won't change his mind. They didn't deserve to lose and against nine men they surely would have won.

Martinez may well have something in mind for Sunday. But have we got three people who could play at the back?

Status
Not open for further replies.