Support the campaign for a statue for Everton great Gary Stevens - please sign the petition

Status
Not open for further replies.
A) It's an on-line petition: https://www.change.org/p/barrow-in-...ements-of-barrow-born-footballer-gary-stevens

B) It's not my petition, I'm not the organiser.

C) I don't live in Barrow-in-Furness.

Not quite sure what the lazy remark is all about. Just thought the idea of a statue being built of one of Everton's most decorated players in our most successful era might be of interest and be supported by Everton fans on an Everton forum.

Thank you to the 58 people who've signed it since this thread was created. It's up to 351 now, with 149 more needed before it can be taken to the council.

A) I quite wrongly presumed it was your petition.

B) I also wrongly thought you were from Barrow-In-Furness, because, lets face it, I couldn't care less about a Timmy Statue in Fairfield.

C) It's okay to be lazy mate. You probably work really hard.

xoxoxoxox

Rememember one game when Shagger got one in the nuts,apparently there was a collective groan from where the players wives where sitting.

A) I quite wrongly presumed it was your petition.

B) I also wrongly thought you were from Barrow-In-Furness, because, lets face it, I couldn't care less about a Timmy Statue in Fairfield.

C) It's okay to be lazy mate. You probably work really hard.

xoxoxoxox

Thanks for posting to let us all know you don't care. We can all sleep easy now.

Started seeing a page 3 girl just before the '86 final and then lost it for us, never forgiven him, that was one of the most miserable days of my life :rant:

When I spoke to the Echo yesturday they said they fell out years ago due to some stories they printed in the paper about him,I didn't ask about them tho.Not 100% sure what went on ect but I wonder why some of his old team mates haven't retweeted me,nev and Peter Reid have likes of sheedy lineker haven't tho

Barrow-in-Furness doesn't have many famous names and things from there, but Gary Stevens is one of them.

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/everton-fc-hero-gary-stevens-8578248

There's a campaign going on to have a statue erected in his honour in his home town of Barrow, with a petition that cane be signed here:

https://www.change.org/p/barrow-in-...twitter&utm_campaign=share_twitter_responsive

Emlyn Hughes has a statue in Barrow town centre and he won 14 major honours in the game. A fine achievement, but....

Gary Stevens won 19 major honours, and played for England (46 caps) in 2 World Cups and 2 European Championships.

For us, he won 2 league titles, 1 FA Cup (and played in 2 other finals), 1 European Cup Winners Cup, and 4 Charity Shields.

For Glasgow Rangers, he won 6 Scottish titles, 2 Scottish Cups, 3 Scottish League Cups.

After his playing career finished, he went back to uni, became a qualified physiotherapist and emigrated to Perth, Australia, where he now works and lives.

As I post this thread, the petition has 294 signatures and needs 206 more to go before Barrow In Furness Council as an official suggestion to be discussed at a council meeting.

Come on GOT members, lets get this statue built!;)

250jr74.jpg
I forgot he moved to Perth. Might need to make a physio appointment with him and ask him to sign the petition

I should also add that Gary Stevens is the ONLY Everton player in our entire history to score a winning goal at Anfield to knock Liverpool out of a cup competition vs us! League Cup 3rd Round, October 1987:

Jesus, I forgot all about that, I was at that game with my mates from school, all redshites by the way, went mental and got a dig. Should have watched it over at the grand old lady, I think they had a big screen on that night as the ticket demand was mental.

Signed it but I imagine when they see 90% of the signatories do not live in Barrow they will lash the petition straight in the bin. If that is the case we will make a new petition and all put adresses in barrow!

The local paper been on to me today there doing a big piece on it now,they've spoken to one of his mates and are also going to contact the scout who set it all up for him.From talking to a mate part of the deal was for Everton youth to come and play vickers sports club in a game,vickers beat them 4-3 gary best mate glen skivington went on to play for Derby and also won the fa trophy with barrow

Well it seems I need 1000 signatures to take it to the council the local rag are saying,I can't remember them doing this with hughes so will keep pushing it.Weve got 1000's of toffees surely it can't be hard to get another 500 to sign up

Status
Not open for further replies.