Steven Naismith though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
But as you have pointed out, Martinez doesn't consider the bench as a negative, he loves changing his wingers towards the end of a game and has often done the same for the number 10 role Barkley/Osman/Naismith - the only reason he hasn't done it with the striker postion imo is that we haven't had any options.

Whilst Barkley is out I can easily see him rotating his starts for Lukaku and Eto'o in the striker position and switching them after 60mins and the same for behind the striker for Naismith, Osman and Eto'o. If Eto'o comes on as a sub as effectively as Aguero has done plus a few starts as well, I doubt he'll be unhappy.
I dont see 'off the bench' as a negative in a pretty strong squad...especially given the attacking options we have.

However, there is a prestige in starting games that players like to enjoy. I tend to believe Martinez wont want to ruffle any feathers with players like Lukaku (who, tbf, he's paid £28M for and is therefore unlikely to want to bench too often) and Eto'o (who he's obviously in awe of). It's inevitable that out of the three Naismith will lose out more often than not.

I dont see 'off the bench' as a negative in a pretty strong squad...especially given the attacking options we have.

However, there is a prestige in starting games that players like to enjoy. I tend to believe Martinez wont want to ruffle any feathers with players like Lukaku (who, tbf, he's paid £28M for and is therefore unlikely to want to bench too often) and Eto'o (who he's obviously in awe of). It's inevitable that out of the three Naismith will lose out more often than not.
Agree he won't want to ruffle any feathers but if Eto'o starts Europa games and Lukaku starts league games and they share the spoils for the cups depnding on fitness, I would have thought he could keep both pretty happy without affecting Naismith's playing time. Guess we'll find out!

Going to be a very important player this year. When he first came I wrote him off, didn't give him a chance. Seemed like a very ordinary player who was in the right place at the right time, a bit of Darren Bent about him really... Martinez' management of him has been superb!

Naisy will play in behind with Rom and Sammi competing for the striking role up top. With the amount of games we have things will inevitably be rotated depending on injuries etc. Add Barkley into the mix and things are looking decent.

Turned things around massively credit to the lad. Deserves to be starting week in week out currently. Once Barkley is back and fit I expect him to drop to the bench more but that's not a bad thing. Football really is a 14 player game these days on match day.

The lack of a fit 14 man team has cost us this first 2 games.

Who would have thought we'd be demanding that Naismith stays in the team at the exxpense of Etoo. Naismith has alwaulys had this talent for goalscoring, he was just not played in the right place until Martinez sorted it.

Who would have thought we'd be demanding that Naismith stays in the team at the exxpense of Etoo. Naismith has alwaulys had this talent for goalscoring, he was just not played in the right place until Martinez sorted it.

Nobody is demanding that he starts ahead of eto'o

Realistically... when fully fit.. eto'o is better, if we're blatantly honest. And he would be starting ahead of him when both fully fit.

No discredit to Naismith, top worker, good finisher (do not believe he is the best finisher at the club like some others, but certainly good) and okay passing.

Quite an average player technical wise but his work rate and his intelligence/ know how makes him a very useful player and a player top teams need. I wouldn't have him in my starting 11 every week but depending on the game he's certainly got to be considered.

Fantastic to bring on against tired legs in second half.

Do love his attitude.

I love Ste.

He's just right.

I don't care that I didn't used to like him. People are allowed to change their minds.

Ste is ace. He's actually really quite lethal in front of goal too. Misses very few chances that he gets. (Sunderalnd away stands out!)

Status
Not open for further replies.