Sliding Doors

Status
Not open for further replies.
We won the FA cup in the decade before him.
While I don’t disagree with your comments on the whole, you do make it sound like Moyes time in charge were halcyon days between them.
Were they the ‘good times’ Bill likes to talk about?

I guess the bad thing about Moyes was that he shielded Kenwright from any scrutiny/criticism. Although our happy clapper fans also need some blame there.

I don’t particularly have an axe to grind with him, I respect what he did and he certainly got some great players in, to some extent arguably under achieving imho, however his narrative was he was over achieving, and we were forever the bridesmaid and there was nothing more could be expected under the circumstances.
During his tenure the following luminaries of English football all won silverware Blackburn, Middlesbrough, Spurs, Swansea, Portsmouth, and Birmingham.
Maybe it’s just me and he really was the Moysiah 🙄.
The manner of his departure was unforgivable too but that’s another debate.
Five of the six clubs you mentioned were subsequently relegated.

And this is why Moshiri needs to do one. Has a manager lined up with a certain style and way of working in Moyes, 24 hours later he goes for Ancelotti with a completely different set of ideals and demands when it comes to transfers.

Moyes would've wanted that money to spend too yanno.

Still find the narrative that Carlo "failed" here. He failed based off his level...but for us, that season was one of the better seasons under Moshiri.

Surely financial reality caused our eroded expectations?
I’m not claiming he was solely responsible for it. It’s my (admittedly retrospective) view of his narrative. I just feel he consigned us to the irrelevance where currently wallow with the general fans and media’s eyes with his persistence with that underdog / plucky Everton / David v Goliath type narrative.
iirc our average wage bill for the majority of his tenure put us 7th in the league. Hardly paupers, we also had some outstanding players (which I’m happy to credit him with and have already acknowledged), we performed ok, it’s hardly worthy of adulation though and imho certainly doesn’t warrant any urgency to bring him back, especially when considering how I feel about his departure.
It’s my opinion that the mindset he imprinted is why we couldn’t win against a ‘big club’ and invariable bottled any knock out comps.
An imprint that to some degree has been maintained since by the likes of Kenwright and Co.

I’m not claiming he was solely responsible for it. It’s my (admittedly retrospective) view of his narrative. I just feel he consigned us to the irrelevance where currently wallow with the general fans and media’s eyes with his persistence with that underdog / plucky Everton / David v Goliath type narrative.
iirc our average wage bill for the majority of his tenure put us 7th in the league. Hardly paupers, we also had some outstanding players (which I’m happy to credit him with and have already acknowledged), we performed ok, it’s hardly worthy of adulation though and imho certainly doesn’t warrant any urgency to bring him back, especially when considering how I feel about his departure.
It’s my opinion that the mindset he imprinted is why we couldn’t win against a ‘big club’ and invariable bottled any knock out comps.
An imprint that to some degree has been maintained since by the likes of Kenwright and Co.
There were seasons where he couldn’t even sign players as we were so skint!

Wages alone aren’t a full reflection of the picture when you spend nothing in fees. We’d have probably gone bankrupt if he wasn’t the manager.

There were seasons where he couldn’t even sign players as we were so skint!

Wages alone aren’t a full reflection of the picture when you spend nothing in fees. We’d have probably gone bankrupt if he wasn’t the manager.
Fees alone aren’t the full reflection of the squad(s) at his disposal either.
Bankrupt? Ok, probably nearly didn’t get a safety cert for the stadium either…..
Also which seasons between 02-11 where they when he couldn’t spend btw?

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.