Should Distin get a farewell?

Should Distin get a chance to play one more time?

• Yes - full game

Votes: 30 10.9%
  • Yes - a few minutes as sub

Votes: 165 60.0%
  • No

Votes: 80 29.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
At the end of the day, its going to be a competitive match, theres still places on the line and a fair chunk of wedge that goes with it.

The fans want us to go out for a win, the manager will, so why the fuq would you play someone who hasnt played competitively for months and when he did he was crap.

Koff with this he deserves it bollocks too. He got paid handsomely for his efforts, hes no great blue or trophy winner, if he can be arsed to drag himself back from Cannes on time he can take a round of applause on the lap of appreciation

I agree. But why in this case pal?

We're talking about a few minutes, if that, in a dead rubber game if it's all sewn up already. I don't see what's wrong with giving a good player a little gesture of appreciation because of an apparent disagreement with the manager, but apparently some have taken this disagreement personally. He seems to have been relatively professional about it and for a player that supposedly has a big mouth, has kept the details very private, despite losing possibly the last season of his career. I've probably knocked him a few times on here this season out of frustration, but at the end of the day he's done a good job here.

Personally, I'm relatively indifferent towards Distin as a person. If anything I think he's a bit of a tit. I won't be that arsed if he's not there on Sunday really, but I still think it'd be a nice touch that he'd appreciate. A lot of the reasons given in this thread not to do it back up what I've said. The back-pass at Wembley being a personal favourite.

Still not got over his brain farts in the semi final and v Sporting Lisbon. The first especially. Lisbon was a bad pass by Rodwell and then just sheer stupidity by Distin to bring him down for red. The semi final though, as bad as we played we were just breaking the Liverpool storm and imagine how mentally important that win would have been even if we'd lost the final. Idiotic Distin though couldn't resist one big choke though could he and in that one moment he solidified our choker mentality for another good few years. That moment every player and fan knew we'd never best Liverpool, we'd never win a trophy and we'd never perform in a big game. All have been proven to be true since then. I'd even say that experience screwed us for the Wigan QF and Liverpool at home last season.

One of the most mentally weak players I've seen who slotted in perfectly with the rest of the big game chokers back line with Baines Jags and Howard. They'd look imperious against the bottom 13 in the league, but a poor Spurs or wretched Liverpool even at home? They were all over the show like a circus act beaten in their own minds before they even got on the pitch. Distin's pace got him out of a lot of trouble but positionally he was very poor which is why long balls or long diagonals seemed to be kryptonite to the Jagielka Distin partnership.

I still maintain we would have made fourth in Moyes's last season had Jagielka partnered someone else. We got in front in games so many times only for this comedy partnership to throw it away. Newcastle at home sticks out more than anything else.

Decent player but nowhere near as good as Lescott and Stones is already at a higher level than Distin was ever at. Polite applause at the end of the lap is all he'll get from me. Not bothered if he plays or not.

Sorry mate but can't agree. You're picking and choosing your games there.

Fairly solid career for six years with us. Did he have a few hiccups? Yeah he did. So has every other player in and Everton shirt since I've been supporting the club.

But the "choker mentality?"

Not buying it.

Not convinced 'choker' is the right term for him like.

He played to his limits a hell of a lot of his time with us. Just maybe those limits weren't quite good enough a lot of the time.

He was what he was.

My main problem is that we've probably let a lot of better players leave without any fuss so why the hell should he get special treatment?!

Some ungrateful Evertonians around !!
They're not Evertonians mate they're Kopites...... Dirty horrible Kopites who stick their beaks into places where they're not wanted.
Like the self important Beauts who argue with our players on twitter cos they think it'll make them look boss.

Sorry mate but can't agree. You're picking and choosing your games there.

Fairly solid career for six years with us. Did he have a few hiccups? Yeah he did. So has every other player in and Everton shirt since I've been supporting the club.

But the "choker mentality?"

Not buying it.
I agree.

Not sure he deserves a 'guard of honour' send off though.

Neville Southall didn't even get one of them, and he 100% deserved one.

Just give him a pint of milk and tell him to push off. Thanks
If the stories of him and Eto'o causing aggro are true, I'd say just leave quietly out the back door to be honest.

If they're false and he's retiring then perhaps an announcement at half time. If he's going to anther club, then a simple 'sod off then' is suffice.

For 90% of his Everton career Sylvain has been a model professional. He did a sterling job replacing Lescott for almost a 5th of the money we raked in. Fitter than virtually every one of the squad at the time, and on many occasions he carried Jagielka.
Of course, ha made a horrendous mistake at Wembley against the lot, and essentially that's what he's being judged on. If there's an Everton player who's never had a bad game or messed up bad then I've yet to see him in over 40 years watching them week in week out. The social media stuff is of no consequence.....many on here we're patting him on the back for his Tom foolery with kopites, so it's a bit of a nonsense calling him out for the odd bit if banter with Blues on Twitter.
If every player we'd signed had a good 90% of games then I'd take them every day of the week.

We don't disown players at Everton ( unless they migrate across the park) as we have more class than that. He'll get a positive send off from me and if he rocks up with someone else next season he'll get a round of applause too.

Not convinced 'choker' is the right term for him like.

He played to his limits a hell of a lot of his time with us. Just maybe those limits weren't quite good enough a lot of the time.

He was what he was.

My main problem is that we've probably let a lot of better players leave without any fuss so why the hell should he get special treatment?!
I'd be interested to hear the names of these better players. Don't recall any good ones leaving without some form of acknowledgement.

Distin has been far more than we could have hoped for, given his age and the fee when we signed him. One of the best CBs this club has had in the last thirty years IMHO. He's played over 200 games for us and has made no more or less massive errors than any other player in his time here. He's still better than the douche who's taken his place in the squad (Alcaraz) and also better than some other starting CBs in the pre. The hatred on here for him is mind-boggling and smells faintly of racism.

Status
Not open for further replies.