2023/24 Sean Dyche

24th Aug: Jarrad Branthwaite played two lots of 45 minutes against Stoke and Sporting CP during the summer but has yet to feature for the Blues in their new Premier League campaign.

It is a similar story for Ben Godfrey, while attackers Arnaut Danjuma and Lewis Dobbin have impressed in cameos coming off the bench.

"Ben [Godfrey] is there as well, training diligently,” explained Dyche. “Jarrod is new to myself, it is a shame he has missed a few weeks in pre-season but he is getting that sharpness now. He had a full 90 last week which will do him good.

24th Aug: Jarrad Branthwaite played two lots of 45 minutes against Stoke and Sporting CP during the summer but has yet to feature for the Blues in their new Premier League campaign.

It is a similar story for Ben Godfrey, while attackers Arnaut Danjuma and Lewis Dobbin have impressed in cameos coming off the bench.

"Ben [Godfrey] is there as well, training diligently,” explained Dyche. “Jarrod is new to myself, it is a shame he has missed a few weeks in pre-season but he is getting that sharpness now. He had a full 90 last week which will do him good.
I think him persevering with Keane for so long last season despite having other options played into the “favourites” theme. Didn’t really help himself there.

I think him persevering with Keane for so long last season despite having other options played into the “favourites” theme. Didn’t really help himself there.

We were 19th in the league last season when Dyche come in, below - without Michael Keane having played a single minute that season.

Here;

1715859148893.png

... Without 1 minute of Michael Keane.

We were wrote off as down when Dyche come in, but later that season it was Keane who was sending us down - apparently.

A huge problem for us was we broke a Premier League record for the most defensive combinations.

We needed stability.

Dyche didn't put Keane right in. He kept with Tarkowski and Coady - he only dropped Coady after his horror show when we lost to Villa 2-0 at Goodison.

Putting Keane in helped for a spell. Clean sheet in a win over Brentford, away draw with a depleted team at Chelsea when Simms cored and then the Spurs game when Keane slammed one in from distance.

In hindsight, he could have dropped him sooner towards the end for Mina - as he eventually did as he had no choice - Mina's fitness couldn't be relied upon so I understood wanting a settled defence. You dont want to keep dropping centre halfs and for ones with legs made out of cheesestrings.

We were 19th in the league last season when Dyche come in, below - without Michael Keane having played a single minute that season.

Here;

View attachment 257183

... Without 1 minute of Michael Keane.

We were wrote off as down when Dyche come in, but later that season it was Keane who was sending us down - apparently.

A huge problem for us was we broke a Premier League record for the most defensive combinations.

We needed stability.

Dyche didn't put Keane right in. He kept with Tarkowski and Coady - he only dropped Coady after his horror show when we lost to Villa 2-0 at Goodison.

Putting Keane in helped for a spell. Clean sheet in a win over Brentford, away draw with a depleted team at Chelsea when Simms cored and then the Spurs game when Keane slammed one in from distance.

In hindsight, he could have dropped him sooner towards the end for Mina - as he eventually did as he had no choice - Mina's fitness couldn't be relied upon so I understood wanting a settled defence. You dont want to keep dropping centre halfs and for ones with legs made out of cheesestrings.
Stupid facts!

He’s started Branthwaite ahead of Keane and Godfrey for the majority of the season. He’s played Garner and Onana over Gueye at times. He’s played McNeil over Danjuma.

In all these examples he’s not selected experience.
Branthwaite is a superstar in waiting it’s hardly a difficult choice. We’ve had 3 centre midfielders for 2 positions, 2x 22yr olds and 1x 34 yr old and gana has had injuries and went to the AFCON. McNeil had had about 6 seasons in the premier league, he’s more experienced than danjuma

After needing our final home game to stay up twice in succession - in terms of points won, we finish this season closer to europe and 22 points away from the drop.

All with the chaos behind the scenes.

Some effort.
I wanted him gone but I've happily changed my mind after the results we've had since Chelsea.

After needing our final home game to stay up twice in succession - in terms of points won, we finish this season closer to europe and 22 points away from the drop.

All with the chaos behind the scenes.

Some effort.
He would've had most fans comfortably behind him if we didn't have that horror run after Christmas.

Football is fickle and he went close to being a disaster with that run in addition to the "style" of football, lack of goals and even worse, the seeming lack of any desire to even try and score.

He's ended up doing more than what we asked him to do, even though we had 2 points deductions, an absent board and protracted sale of the club to a basket case group in 777.

It is still concerning that our safety was effectively down to 2 purple patches; after the first points deduction and at the end of the season, though.