Rumour: New badge for next season

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can someone post the link to that petition going around on twitter? Tried but can't as I'm on phone...

The one I've seen dotted about better not be real, grotesque and an utter wind up from the board if it goes ahead. Won't be buying a shirt with that on.

NewBadge.jpg

Came up with this one myself, dropped 'Nil Satis Nisi Optimum', moved the club's name and 1878.

Nice and simple, nothing too drastic.

I sent an email to Robert Elstone this morning, let you know if I get a response:

Mr Elstone

As most Evertonians are aware, the Club recently trademarked a new badge design, one that represents a significant change from the existing crest that has adorned Everton jerseys in varying, but similar, guises for the past 22 years.
This new badge surfaced on social media two weeks ago and though the Club's Marketing and Communications department was asked by fans via Twitter – the vast majority them dismayed and highly concerned – whether this was to be Everton's new official crest, to date no official answer has been forthcoming.

It would appear, however, based on word spreading from the Supporters Club event that the Club are contemplating replacing the current crest with this new design starting with the release of the forthcoming 2013-14 home, away and third kits. We don't know for sure and can only hope that it is a trial balloon aimed at gauging fans opinion? Is this correct? But in the absence of any attempt by Everton over the past fortnight to set such speculation straight, are we to assume that that is indeed the plan.

It's worth prefacing what follows by saying this:

Over the past couple of years, Everton's MarComms department has been doing some really creative and positive things in terms of supporter outreach, public relations, social media engagement, etc. The Blue Christmas campaign of lighting up City landmarks in blue, the Jelavic Christmas ad, the "Make Their Day" initiative, the responsiveness of the Club's official Twitter feed, the success of Everton in the Community, evertontv, a list of awards and firsts in the digital and web space… all were examples of some excellent work being done by an enthusiastic department of employees trying to energize the commercial and communications side of the Club.

This proposed new badge — that cartoonish design is not worthy of the term "crest" — is an abomination, however, that runs so contrary to Everton Football Club's proud tradition that it's hard to believe it could be the Club's new emblem. Indeed, we were convinced it had to be a more informal design linked with a new merchandising line.

Lest it be forgotten, this is Everton we're talking about here: Founder Members of the Football League, nine-time League Champions, the one-time Mersey Millionnaires, the Pride of Merseyside with one of the richest histories in world football.

The words "class and dignity" have become adopted by Evertonians as a badge of honour in recent years as they have been upheld by manager David Moyes and exhibited by his players, in stark contrast to the appalling narcissism, self-delusion and lack of shame exhibited across Stanley Park in regard to Luis Suarez' numerous transgressions.

And yet when Liverpool changed their home strip last year after the inking of a Warrior kit deal that puts Everton's to shame, they opted for elegance: the Liver bird and the letters "LFC". Simple and distinguished, much like the famous EFC and wreaths design that Everton wore in the 1980s.

That Everton appear to have elected to drop the famous Nil Satis Nisi Optimum motto from the badge is hard enough to stomach but it would have been made more palatable by a crest design befitting our beloved Club's image and history. Indeed, change, progress and modernity need not be feared if it is handled with style and panache.

Instead, it looks as though the fans will have to choke down a dumbed-down, hand-drawn monstrosity that not only ditches Everton's famous Latin credo but one which also violates the equally beloved Prince Rupert's Tower which is now a bloated, clip-art-esque eye-sore that looks as though it were slapped together by a graphic design apprentice in their spare time.

Put simply, it cheapens the Everton brand and utterly undermines the Club's proud image and all the recent efforts to place EFC at the forefront of innovation.

I and the vast majority feel strongly about this apparent change to Everton FC's identity, we urge you to make an announcement via social media with regards to this.

There is a phrase that Blues fans have adopted recently that encapsulates their self-image, one fostered over 130-plus years of success, leadership, longevity and proud achievement. One that sustains us through the frustrations of the Premier League era. That mantra is "We're Everton, Aren't We?" If you're "born and not manufactured", you don't need any explanation of what that means but, at its core, it means there is something special about our Club that sets us apart.

I do hope I'm wrong.

Graeme S

Aged 33 years, Evertonian for 33 years.

I know it sounds simple but why couldnt the club do a few different designs and let us pick which one we want or dont we get a say on OUR CLUB.

They didn't even want to have a vote on Kirkby, it was all just PR.

During that fiasco the club were assuring on the sly that the name Everton wasn't set in stone (ie, hinting it could be changed to Knowsley ****ing Town or something).

Regardless to say, the likes of leather face wouldn't give a flying one about anyone's problems with a badge.

Status
Not open for further replies.