Romelu Lukaku

Status
Not open for further replies.
We don't have to sell him, he has two years on his contract. Whether he likes it or not he's here for another season. Unless it suits us of course.
Barkley though........

I'm honestly not so sure any teams will meet our valuation of him this summer. Thankfully, his agent has piped down and he seems to be out of that "I'm off to greener pastures" mindset. If he can keep the crap to a minimum, I see a team going all in for him in January.

My take on his agent piping down isn't down to a change on mindset more along the lines that there is a deal in place or if there isn't then there will be.As for meeting Everton's valuation I wouldn't be too sure about that . I would however be astounded if he left in the January window big clubs very very rarely spend big in that window.

We don't have to sell him, he has two years on his contract. Whether he likes it or not he's here for another season. Unless it suits us of course.
Barkley though........

I can't see any situation where at this point in time it would be Everton's preference to sell him the two years left isn't as big a thing as so many think. As Davek says keeping a player that wants out is a massive call when that happens it rarely works out well for the club and the player eventually gets his way. It's not just about the influence on the pitch the impact at the training ground etc has to be positive a disgruntled player is best kept away from the team or better still let go.

My take on his agent piping down isn't down to a change on mindset more along the lines that there is a deal in place or if there isn't then there will be.As for meeting Everton's valuation I wouldn't be too sure about that . I would however be astounded if he left in the January window big clubs very very rarely spend big in that window.
That's a fair point. My take is that they haven't received the offers they wanted and are trying to finish out the season strong to secure a move. We are fortunate enough to have 2 years left on his deal, so unfortunately for Rom and his agent, they have much less leverage than they would like.

That's a fair point. My take is that they haven't received the offers they wanted and are trying to finish out the season strong to secure a move. We are fortunate enough to have 2 years left on his deal, so unfortunately for Rom and his agent, they have much less leverage than they would like.

In a few weeks RL will move in football contract terms from what is called the protected period to the unprotected phase of his contract.
Everton will know that should he threaten to invoke Article 17 then the likelihood is that CAS would set the compensation way below what many say his market value is. Factors such as his amortised value would be a factor just as would be the sums due to be paid over the next few years. There are 3 methods potentially used to assess compensation the most lucrative would not deliver a sum in excess of £20 million by my back of a fag packet calculation it's more like £15 million. You have to bear in mind that the liability to pay compensation would be made jointly on the player and indeed any future club but a significant test would be that the player has to be able to afford to pay.
As it has been pointed out players don't often leave on what's called a Webster but they can and I really don't see that Everton would dare risk such an outcome .

An Italian paper was quoted recently that a deal to take him back to Chelsea was almost done.
However, with Costa making noises that he'll stay (despite not liking London), then this would appear a bit premature to me

The 'funny' thing about Everton is that we are kind of where Spurs were 3-4 years ago. Trying to consolidate ourselves into that much heralded 'top 4'. And selling your best player doesn't really help that sort of ambition.

Although Spurs did sell Bale, and although initially they made a mess of investing the fee in players, they are now seeing the 'benefit'. Similarly, if Everton got a massive chunk of money for Lukaku/Barkley we should eventually benefit from re investing the cash in players.

Although Spurs did sell Bale, and although initially they made a mess of investing the fee in players, they are now seeing the 'benefit'. Similarly, if Everton got a massive chunk of money for Lukaku/Barkley we should eventually benefit from re investing the cash in players.

It took them about 3 years to recover. No thanks.

We did when Rooney went and you could say Fellaini too. Players come and go, if you can get decent sums to reinvest across the whole team generally results will get better and not worse.

We don't want to lose them but if we do, c'est la vie and we move on.

It took them about 3 years to recover. No thanks.

Spurs bought too many players, ideally you want to add 2/3 starters max per window to play with a team that are already drilled in how the manager wants to play. Throw in 7 or 8 players who don't know how each other go about things and then you are left with what spurs did and understandably it will take some time for them to gel/root out the buys that were mistakes.

If he wants to go, he'll go. We need to put a plan in place to insure that doesn't set us back years. Losing both Barkley and Lukaku would be a huge blow. Personally, I think we need to retain B because it is a more likely long-term relationship and then figure out how two decent strikers can get close to Lukaku's goal tally. That young lad from Bournemouth might be a good second striker with a larger (and thus higher risk) splurge on a our major replacement. Btw, think the loss to Spurs, LFC, and Utd did it for us. Told him that we were still seasons away from being anything like a European powerhouse (if that were to ever happen).

Desailly was on the radio earlier talking about how Lukaku would be welcomed back at Chelsea. Seems like this could be the long, drawn out transfer saga of the summer.

Status
Not open for further replies.