Roberto Martinez discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Or keep the manager who brought these players to the club and are happy to play under him and try and build something sustainable and for the future?
Are they happy to play under him though? We may find out in the summer.

As far as I can see, Stones has already tried to force a move once, Baines, Osman, Garbutt, Barry, Lukaku and now Coleman have all thrown him under the bus with comments to the press, Mirallas allegedly threw something at him at the weekend and it's clear that Naismith, Distin, Eto'o, McGeady etc weren't happy before they left.

I'm not saying it's an unhappy camp as such, these things happen at all clubs. I do think, though, that the idea of all the players loving the manager and wanting to play under him are pretty far fetched and seemingly without an awful lot of foundation.

Well, no - when people cite his second season as a reason to sack him it's only fair to cite his first season.

And, in all honesty, that season was so mental. Dave's right in one thing at least in that 72 points is huge - and in any other season would have got us top four if not top three.

Heck, this season, the team that wins it may only get to 75...

It's all relative though. Moyes getting 61 points and fourth place is a better league performance than 72 points and fifth. It was also better than when Moyes secured our previous record but came fifth. The reason is because relatively in comparison to the other 19 sides in the league we've done better in 04/05 than we have in 13/14.

It's great setting a points record that 'any other season' would be top 4. The key point being it wasn't that season. You saw Liverpool setting their prem record, Arsenal polling 79(?) points and a Chelsea side without a decent striker getting 83 points. All the high points total show is a disparity between the top sides and the bottom ones. So all the good teams pounded the dross that year and we were fifth by 7 points in the end. Clearly this wasn't the case in 04/05. We out performed 16 other teams so deservedly took 4th spot. We couldn't do that in 13/14. Incidentally if you look at United's tally in 7th place that season it is far above what the 7th team this year will probably poll. In a concertined league a lower points total would have us sitting in the top 4, it's obviously more difficult to get.

Are they happy to play under him though? We may find out in the summer.

As far as I can see, Stones has already tried to force a move once, Baines, Osman, Garbutt, Barry, Lukaku and now Coleman have all thrown him under the bus with comments to the press, Mirallas allegedly threw something at him at the weekend and it's clear that Naismith, Distin, Eto'o, McGeady etc weren't happy before they left.

I'm not saying it's an unhappy camp as such, these things happen at all clubs. I do think, though, that the idea of all the players loving the manager and wanting to play under him are pretty far fetched and seemingly without an awful lot of foundation.

You've effectively summarized your own interpretation

You've effectively summarized your own interpretation
I'm not interpreting anything though.

I made it clear that i'm not suggesting the players are unhappy, but it seems to be something that's regularly said on here 'the players love him', 'the players will leave if he does' and I just don't see any evidence of this supposedly amazing relationship.

Last season there was between 0 and 2 teams in the "mid table" section for most of the season. This year, there's many more, hence the change in perception when a win one week puts us 7th and a loss the next keeps us where we were at the start of the two week period. A bit more luck from referees and better defending and there's no crisis here. The pieces are in place. Does the team (and manager) have to perform better? Absolutely. But it's not hopeless.

It's all relative though. Moyes getting 61 points and fourth place is a better league performance than 72 points and fifth. It was also better than when Moyes secured our previous record but came fifth. The reason is because relatively in comparison to the other 19 sides in the league we've done better in 04/05 than we have in 13/14.

It's great setting a points record that 'any other season' would be top 4. The key point being it wasn't that season. You saw Liverpool setting their prem record, Arsenal polling 79(?) points and a Chelsea side without a decent striker getting 83 points. All the high points total show is a disparity between the top sides and the bottom ones. So all the good teams pounded the dross that year and we were fifth by 7 points in the end. Clearly this wasn't the case in 04/05. We out performed 16 other teams so deservedly took 4th spot. We couldn't do that in 13/14. Incidentally if you look at United's tally in 7th place that season it is far above what the 7th team this year will probably poll. In a concertined league a lower points total would have us sitting in the top 4, it's obviously more difficult to get.
The fact that 72 points in one season didn't get a CL spot, whilst 61 points did in another season is not proof that the latter effort was better. That's a contradiction no matter how much you feed it through the mangle of 'pounding dross' and 'not pounding dross'.

It's tortuous and vacuous to suggest there are any circumstances whereby winning 11 more points in one season is a worse effort. That equates to three wins and a couple of more draws. It's off the charts daft to suggest the 72 points season wasn't a better effort. It just was.

The fact that 72 points in one season didn't get a CL spot, whilst 61 points did in another season is not proof that the latter effort was better. That's a contradiction no matter how much you feed it through the mangle of 'pounding dross' and 'not pounding dross'.

It's tortuous and vacuous to suggest there are any circumstances whereby winning 11 more points in one season is a worse effort. That equates to three wins and a couple of more draws. It's off the charts daft to suggest the 72 points season wasn't a better effort. It just was.

8 wins from 26 games.

Keep dressing that up as much as you want David, but its simply not good enough, it doesnt matter what we did 2 years ago, it doesnt matter what we did in 1985, it doesnt even matter what we do next season. This season we have won.

8 wins in 26 games = A win every 3.25 games

Last season we won

12 wins in 38 games = A win every 3.16 games

Quite grim reading.

Martinez isnt on trial for the season he got right, hes on trial for the SEASONS hes got wrong.

How is it when every other team in the top ten is also doing better? Putting aside the differences in squad (Bent v Lukaku...honestly). The simple fact is that points are largely irrelevant in a twenty horse race. It's like getting relegated on a higher points tally than a team who stayed up the previous season, no one cares, and no one would say it was a better performance than the team who survived. In 04/05 in the race for the line we finished ahead of 16 others, in 13/14 it was only 15. Like coming fourth in the olympics on a wind assisted day boasting that your time is better than the bronze medalist of a previous year. No one cares and there is still no medal. 4th is 4th, 5th is one worst. Martinez could poll 83 points, but if 4 teams ahead of him hit 90 then it's not as relatively good as the 61 in 04/05. Why is that so hard?

8 wins from 26 games.

Keep dressing that up as much as you want David, but its simply not good enough, it doesnt matter what we did 2 years ago, it doesnt matter what we did in 1985, it doesnt even matter what we do next season. This season we have won.

8 wins in 26 games = A win every 3.25 games

Last season we won

12 wins in 38 games = A win every 3.16 games

Quite grim reading.

Martinez isnt on trial for the season he got right, hes on trial for the SEASONS hes got wrong.
Pipe down. 8 losses in the 35 games we've played this season.

That's a loss less than every four games.

You're welcome.

"On trial" for getting to the SF of a cup and later stages of the other one and scoring 46 goals in the league and playing football touched by the Gods.

I bet he's bricking it wondering whether he's got a job here next season.

*roars with laughter*

You're welcome.

"On trial" for getting to the SF of a cup and later stages of the other one and scoring 46 goals in the league and playing football touched by the Gods.

*roars with laughter*

If he doesnt win the FA cup or get Europe he will be sacked.

And its 9 losses.

You're welcome.

*roars with laughter*

Literally in what way? What possible metric do you measure that by? In the last few months alone we've been beaten at home by two relegation candidates one of which was effectively manager less, we've also let Stoke score 4 away from home and Leicester put three past us. That's just the last couple of months. We've got the worst defensive home record in Europe's top 5 leagues and in the last 18 months have a win ratio just less than 30%. But we're playing football 'touched by the gods' ha ha you've got to be on the wind up, I'm on the floor here. That was funny when you said it earlier when we hadn't fully botched our league campaign but after the last few dismal months it's bordering on a comedy act.

Status
Not open for further replies.