Roberto Martinez discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
God you negged me into the stone age when I said stuff like that last year.

I know, thats why I said it.

1541351-dick_dastardly_and_muttley1.jpg

The loan market and extensive use of it is the dominant pattern of our transfer window these days. That is nothing peculiar to our manager.

It's no use looking for loan signings as a way of explain a cup defeat against Arsenal. Our goose was cooked when the draw pulled them out of the hat first.

We got beat fair and square by a team with true world class touch in some players they have.

We've done fantastic this season.

I was NOT pinning the blame of the arsenal defeat on the loan signings, I've never questioned the quality of Lukaku, Delefeu etc. just the mid- to long-term effects of it, which I know others do too. This is a thread about Martinez not a backlash to one result, the result BTW which I accept and I think was coupled with a reasonable performance from us.

I disagree about it being a dominant pattern of transfer window, in the football league yes but in the top flight I don't think so, particularly not for teams with European ambitions

I'd also argue it is completely incompatible with our club's economic model and income stream. Rarely is any surplus left from running costs (inc. wages), so we have to sell to buy. If we reduce ourselves to just plugging gaps with loan signings and rejecting limited opportunities to invest assets that will grow in value, where will we sign and fund the next Mirrallas or McCarrthy?

It's been a cycle that's been crucial to our development over the last few years I would argue (McFadden + Johnson = Fellaini; Lescott = Heitinga, Distin and Billy; Arteta = Gibson, Jelavic and Pienaar; Rodwell (we could sell a youth graduate because we had invested in his position) = Mirrallas and Stones; (Fellaini = Mccarthy).

I'm sure it goes further back with the likes of Baines and Jagielka too, maybe it was started by the Rooney sale.

By the way Goat and Davek, it doesn't just come down to a simple Martinez v. Moyes thing.

You're both intelligent, in you own ways, so I'm sure you realise this.

I honestly dont care who the manager is, when they fck up im gonna call them out.

The stupid manager we had last season sat on his hands in Janaury and it cost us the chance to kick on.
The stupid manager we have this season sat on his hands in Janaury and its cost us the chance to kick on.

Both utter morons.

The above of reinvestment illustrates in black and white just why we need to get rid of the idiots in charge. Utterly scandelous that a club of our stature has fallen so badly and gets a pat on the head from the media for trying. All thanks to the self proclaimed 'greatest Evertonian'

I was trying to think of an analogy for the difference between our current manager and his predecessor and you can look at it in motor racing terms.

Moist was a good mechanic. He can build a car that's competitive and reliable.
He just isn't that good a driver. Too safe. Never pushing the car or the track to it's limit.

Martinez on the other hand is a better driver. He can get performances from having the right set up and going for it.
Sure, he spins out every now and then but he can't help it if he loses 5th gear or the tyres give out on a car he's largely inherited.

His big task is to prove he is as good a mechanic as he is a driver.

Budget helps. But you can build and drive a successful car with the right talent.

I was NOT pinning the blame of the arsenal defeat on the loan signings, I've never questioned the quality of Lukaku, Delefeu etc. just the mid- to long-term effects of it, which I know others do too. This is a thread about Martinez not a backlash to one result, the result BTW which I accept and I think was coupled with a reasonable performance from us.

I disagree about it being a dominant pattern of transfer window, in the football league yes but in the top flight I don't think so, particularly not for teams with European ambitions

I'd also argue it is completely incompatible with our club's economic model and income stream. Rarely is any surplus left from running costs (inc. wages), so we have to sell to buy. If we reduce ourselves to just plugging gaps with loan signings and rejecting limited opportunities to invest assets that will grow in value, where will we sign and fund the next Mirrallas or McCarrthy?

It's been a cycle that's been crucial to our development over the last few years I would argue (McFadden + Johnson = Fellaini; Lescott = Heitinga, Distin and Billy; Arteta = Gibson, Jelavic and Pienaar; Rodwell (we could sell a youth graduate because we had invested in his position) = Mirrallas and Stones; (Fellaini = Mccarthy).

I'm sure it goes further back with the likes of Baines and Jagielka too, maybe it was started by the Rooney sale.
But you're hanging your hat on two transfer windows whilst Martinez has been here and fearing a trend on that basis. At Wigan he bought some players low and sold them high. What's the true nature of his transfer market skills based on that?

Status
Not open for further replies.