Q & A vs. Manchester United

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you Groucho, ijjysmith, Blue 1, bluejock, Christiffa25, deathbyropeandglass, Stend, TheFinnFan, Rook and jtl60.

Anyone else interested?

Cheers, bluejock.

Below are my questions. I'm not looking to cause trouble, just looking for sensible answers.

1. What are your thoughts on Sunday’s game? What team is David Moyes likely to select and what formation will he adopt? What weaknesses in United’s team will Moyes look to exploit?

- Mixed feelings. I can see it being a draw to be honest; there will be goals though as both teams have forgotten how to defend. Some people actually want Heitinga to start but that is madness in my opinion. The team will be what has been posted in this thread previously.

2. What are your thoughts on Everton’s 2012-13 season? What were your expectations for the season and have they been met? What are you expectations for the remainder of the season?

- You can't deny it's a good season but I'm almost equally dissapointed as I am pleased, as if we'd finished teams off like we should have, we could really have challenged for 3rd.

3. Who have been Everton’s best players this season? And Why?

- Fellaini/Baines on par; doesn't need explaining why! At times Fellaini is actually unplayable

4. How has Gibson performed this season?
- Who?

5. What are your thoughts on Baines? He has split opinion amongst United fans as some believe he is defensively weak; is this fair or harsh? Do you think you can keep hold of Baines in the summer?
He's turned into a world class player over the years, by far the best left back in the league. Dunno what games these United fans have been watching because he's not weak defensively at all. He's been responsible for the odd goal every now and then but so has every defender. If we don't get CL I really don't know if he'll stay

6. How would you feel if Rooney was to rejoin Everton for the final years of his career?
- If he's still as good in his latter years then yes please. If it's when he's on the decline then hopefully he won't be good enough for our starting 11

just like to say, if you win the title this season, which i hope you do. this will be the poorest united team to lift the prem imo. So many weaknesses. Poor keeper, rafael hasn't turned out to be the player i thought, centre back partnership has its moments both way. centre midfield has nothing to be scared of and your wingers haven't exactly been firing this season. Even more shame for city and chelsea considering how much they spent - same goes to liverpool but meh

you'll still win it though, i'm intrigued to see what united are like without ferguson, there aren't too many managers than know how to get things done like he does with regards to winning.

just like to say, if you win the title this season, which i hope you do. this will be the poorest united team to lift the prem imo. So many weaknesses. Poor keeper, rafael hasn't turned out to be the player i thought, centre back partnership has its moments both way. centre midfield has nothing to be scared of and your wingers haven't exactly been firing this season. Even more shame for city and chelsea considering how much they spent - same goes to liverpool but meh

you'll still win it though, i'm intrigued to see what united are like without ferguson, there aren't too many managers than know how to get things done like he does with regards to winning.

It's possible, the standard of PL does seem to have dropped somewhat. However, if they do well in the CL then it can't have been that bad in comparison to previous teams

Below are my questions. I'm not looking to cause trouble
Well you've found trouble ...

just looking for sensible answers.
I can manage maybe 50% sensible tops.

1. What are your thoughts on Sunday’s game? What team is David Moyes likely to select and what formation will he adopt? What weaknesses in United’s team will Moyes look to exploit?
4-5-1 with Fellaini playing slightly advanced. The most exploitable weakness might be you lot resting some players FA Cup semi-final style. We have a problem at RB (first and second choice both out) which could well cost us the game. People have been shutting down our left hand side and we have no plan B with Coleman injured. Actually I suppose lumping it to Fellaini and letting him hold up like a golden god is plan B (you saw some of that in the first game of this year) so we'll probably give that a shot. Doing a double over league leading Man U. seems like something we wouldn't do but who knows ... we are also very good at draws. We just love kissing our sisters ... don't judge.

2. What are your thoughts on Everton’s 2012-13 season? What were your expectations for the season and have they been met? What are you expectations for the remainder of the season?
If we don't make the CL this year I think it might be the turning point (in a bad way) for us. We can't go on forever in this "best of the rest" mode and the likelihood of us doing as well without Moyes (just from a practical standpoint of looking at how clubs in our financial position -- or even significantly better -- perform) seems low.

Everyone aside from one person will likely answer this Baines & Fellaini. Anichebe has been sneaky good the last few weeks. Jags and Distin have been solid. I feel like we've been weak defensively but then you look at the table sorted by goals conceded and we are in the same ballpark as most of the top sides (aside from City). Heitinga has been a bit of a mess lately though -- hopefully he can pull it together as I like him. Pienaar has been off the boil a little lately (partly due to opponent's gameplans) and Osman would legit lead the league in scoring if he had finished half his chances this year. Mirallas (also rarely healthy) is a quality player.

When he plays he is great ... but he doesn't play that much. Same old story. Still by far a great value for 500k though even if he only plays half the season.

5. What are your thoughts on Baines? He has split opinion amongst United fans as some believe he is defensively weak; is this fair or harsh?
He's the best LB in the world so I'd say it's harsh.

Do you think you can keep hold of Baines in the summer?
Probably. I am (as I alluded to earlier) quite negative about our prospects if we don't get fourth this year but more-so with Fellaini (who is gone without fourth ... that's pretty much locked in) and Moyes than Baines. I don't think he'll leave us when we're in the chasing pack -- if we aren't in the chasing pack come 2014 then not only could he leave but he should. He still might not though. He is a rarely loyal footballer with great taste in music and dashingly handsome to boot.

Other fans and the newspapers printed a lot of "Everton fans will be worried if they can retain Fellaini/Baines in the Jan window." We weren't worried. Baines already rejected you lot in the summer so why would he leave when we're one win off fourth? Fellaini I was even less worried about this year.

6. How would you feel if Rooney was to rejoin Everton for the final years of his career?
Most (not all) of us believe he will come back. Most (not all) would welcome him if it's at the end of this contract but if it's two years after that (after one more cash in) it won't really be worthwhile for anyone. Most (not all) have forgiven him and would welcome him back (if he was still a good player when he came back). He is a blue -- he lost his way for a while but he'll never be yours. You'll probably do okay consoling yourselves with a shed-full of champions medals and whatnot.

Last edited:
Cheers for the answers. Here is SEA's preview (I am unable to the post links): stretfordendarising.com/2013/02/09/match-preview-manchester-united-vs-everton-2/

Cheers, bluejock.

Below are my questions. I'm not looking to cause trouble, just looking for sensible answers.

We've done ok recently against you but it will be difficult at OT. I'm hoping Neville will be ok to come back in at RB. That way we can have Jagielka and Distin at centre half. I imagine Moyes will play Osman next to Gibson in centre mid with Fellaini playing behind Anichebe as he hurt you a lot the last couple of games. Pienaar and Baines down the left can cause problñems for any team but with Mirallas on the right we've got and added dimension and better balance. Hope we don't over do the long ball to fellaini but it did cause you a few problems at Goodison. Moyes will probably try to exploit that.

We've all been pleasantly surprised at the start. Not only results wise but some of the play was great. Injuries to Mirallas and Gibson have hindered that good play along with Jelavic suffering from a terribly cliched second season syndrome. Defo would have been satisfied with 5th at the start of the season but the good start creates higher expectations and hopes are obviously for a CL place

Baines is consistantly good and Fellaini has been on fire. However the introduction of Mirallas, and putting Coleman at RB have been a breath of fresh air. Hopefully they can shake off the injury problems.

When he's been fit he's been great

5. What are your thoughts on Baines? He has split opinion amongst United fans as some believe he is defensively weak; is this fair or harsh? Do you think you can keep hold of Baines in the summer?
He's ace. Obviously nobody can attack as much as he does and always get back when there's a counter attack. That's a price we're all prepared to pay. I hope he remains underrated and stays.

As long as he's still up to it I'd be happy

Status
Not open for further replies.