Q & A vs. Manchester United

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Hole

Player Valuation: £50k
Hello all again,

I am the creator of a Manchester United website called Stretford End Arising.

I am currently in the process of putting together a match preview for Manchester United vs. Everton. Normally match previews on Stretford End Arising include the thoughts of an opposition fan(s) with the aim of offering a balanced view. Here is an example: stretfordendarising.com/2013/02/01/match-preview-fulham-vs-manchester-united-2

A GOT forum member wrote a piece on Darron Gibson: stretfordendarising.com/2012/12/12/former-player-progress-report-everton-fan-discusses-darron-gibson

To the site owner(s) and mods, is it okay if I can ask several questions?

A link to grandoldteam.com will be included in the published article.

Cheers,
Andrew

Cheers, bluejock.

Below are my questions. I'm not looking to cause trouble, just looking for sensible answers.

1. What are your thoughts on Sunday’s game? What team is David Moyes likely to select and what formation will he adopt? What weaknesses in United’s team will Moyes look to exploit?

2. What are your thoughts on Everton’s 2012-13 season? What were your expectations for the season and have they been met? What are you expectations for the remainder of the season?

3. Who have been Everton’s best players this season? And Why?

4. How has Gibson performed this season?

5. What are your thoughts on Baines? He has split opinion amongst United fans as some believe he is defensively weak; is this fair or harsh? Do you think you can keep hold of Baines in the summer?

6. How would you feel if Rooney was to rejoin Everton for the final years of his career?

Cheers, bluejock.

Below are my questions. I'm not looking to cause trouble, just looking for sensible answers.

1. What are your thoughts on Sunday’s game? What team is David Moyes likely to select and what formation will he adopt? What weaknesses in United’s team will Moyes look to exploit?
Cant see many changes from our last game. If Heitinga start you will score about 34 times. Weaknesses for you are your defence. Rio is getting on now and the others yet to prove themselves. De Gea is prone to the odd Howard moment too.

2. What are your thoughts on Everton’s 2012-13 season? What were your expectations for the season and have they been met? What are you expectations for the remainder of the season?
We started like a house on fire. But have slowly started playing worse and worse each week, with the odd great bit. For the rest of the season I hope mainly to never see Heitinga in a blue shirt ever again.

Weird one. Baines and Fellaini have got all the good press, and rightly so, but the one who has actually impressed me most is Victor Anichebe who actually looks like he gives a crap now and is actually quite good.

When fit we don't lose when he plays. Keeping him fit/sober is the another problem.

5. What are your thoughts on Baines? He has split opinion amongst United fans as some believe he is defensively weak; is this fair or harsh? Do you think you can keep hold of Baines in the summer?
Baines is the best left back in the league. By quite some distance. We'll keep hold of him, maybe not Fellaini though.

6. How would you feel if Rooney was to rejoin Everton for the final years of his career?
I'd be happy with it. He left to go to better things. Some will disagree, but we couldn't cater for his talent at the time so he left with my blessing. I'd have him back. Doubt we could ever afford it though.

Cheers, bluejock.

That's 3 questions. We've been looking a bit tired and shaky recently and I fear we might be on to a hiding this weekend. We never win at OT. I expect Moyes will have us trying to keep it tight at the back and hoof it to Fellaini. Meh. I hope to see Mirallas scare Evra and Baines to give Rafael (?) a rinsing. If Heitinga plays you'll score about 5.

It's exceeded expectations so far, but I fear the wheels coming off in the run-in. We played some excellent football early on, but have been a bit stale of late. Hopefully the return of Mirallas and Gibson can change that.

Baines, he's been the best left-sided player in the league this season, including that simian shagspot Gareth Bale.
Fellaini when he turns up is capable of beating teams by himself, as you well know.
Gibson when fit makes us look like a different team.
Mirallas has also impressed when fit, but he needs to learn to pass the ball.

Superbly when fit.

Best LB in the league and Everton's best player. He is f*cking amazing. His attacking is better than his defending but he couldn't be called "defensively weak" by any stretch of the imagination. If he goes anywhere it'll only be to a club in the North West I think. He seems very happy at Everton and I'm not sure he realises just how good he is.

If he can still do the business then fine. If it's just to sell shirts and let him fulfil an ambition of his then he can get bent.

1. I can see Jelavic returning for this and Anichebe being dropped to the bench which is a shame because the form he's in, he could cause some real problems for your centre halves.

Likely line up will be

Howard

Neville Jagielka Distin Baines

Mirallas Osman Gibson Pienaar

Fellaini

Jelavic​

I think the weaknesses at United have to be your lack of a settled centre back partnership and that twin at right back, he's absolute murder whenever I've seen him. Evra will struggle for pace against Mirallas.

2. Really, we should all be extremely happy with this season. 5th in the table, 4 points off third place and with a real chance to kick on and do something. I think everyone is frustrated at the number of draws in games we should really be winning, ie; Villa at home. We're all a bit deflated by the lack of action on deadline day as well where we could really have done with strengthening. Positives are the way we always look like scoring when going forward, and we've played some wonderful footy at times.

3. Baines. He's just a little bit magical, god bless the scruffy little so and so. Without wanting to be accused of blue bias, he's the best left back in the world right now, if not the best full back. Fellaini has dragged us through a few games too by sheer force of will which is great to see.

4. When he plays, he makes the whole team play better. He gives us the shape we've been lacking since Arteta before his serious injury in '09. Some of his passing is a joy to watch too. Problem is, his legs are built of balsa wood and white chocolate, the bugger is always crocked. If he could have an injury free run in, we'll do well. Another thing about him is, he gets it. He gets Everton and what we're about which is always nice to see in a player.

5. The myth about Baines being defensively weak annoys me, and stems I think from him sometimes being out of position as an attack breaks down and he's on the edge of the opposition penalty area. Tackling wise, I can't fault him, he always clears his lines and his work rate has to be up there with anyone in the league. I think he'll see out his career at Everton.

6. I'd have him back, provided he still has a role to play and isn't just back for one last payday. If he comes back before he's 30, that would show a commitment that he actually wants to achieve things with the club. It's 50/50 whether it happens in my mind.

Cheers, bluejock.

Question 1.
Strongest line up possible. Hopefully meaning a back 4 of Neville jags distin baines, midfield of Gibson osman pienaar and mirallas, up top Fellaini playing off (supprisingly ) anichebe as jelavic is a bit off form at the moment.

Question 2.
Well obviously sitting 5th, 3pts off 4th you would have to say its been a good season. Strangely do feel a bit dissapointed that when playing very well early season we didn't pick up a few more deserved points. Overall got to be happy, and at times we have been playing a type of football we'v not seen for many a years. Just hope we can some how pull of a CL finish.

Question 3
Fellaini/Baines - Do I need to explain
Mirallas - Has added real pace and attacking threat when fit.
Gibson - We simply don't tick over the same without him and our football suffers.

Question 4
When fit (which has been the problem) along with mirallas we are a completely different team with Gibson anchoring the midfield. Great signing for us.

Question 5
Baines is a different class, only people who base an opinion without really watching much of him come up with the suspect defensively comments. There simply not true. I think as long as we qualify for Europe we can keep him...for another season at least.

Question 6
Splits the fan base a bit this one. It depends at what stage Rooney was to come back. Late in his career ie 30 with plenty still to offer then 100% yes would love him back. A 34 yr old Rooney who can't run No thanks!

Last edited:

A : Will be tough as always but i think the game is there to won if we give it a go and press and hassle you for 90 mins. If we sit back and hoof to Fellaini it will be harder. The old Moyes would do the latter but you never know, especially after last year.

A : We've done well so far, nice to actually play effective football before February meaning we're in with a chance of acheiving something. Top 4 is the aim but wil be tough, i think we'd all have taken Europa spot at the start of the season. As good as we have been at times several of the same old problems have surfaced.

A : Fellaini and Baines are the usual suspects. I've been impressed with Osman to be honest. He's had his usual invisible games but he's been at the heart of midfield (rather than right wing) and played some really good stuff with several different partners, fully deserved his England call up. Coleman at rb has been a breathe of fresh air too.

A : Great when he's played, the improvement when he plays is obvious and he makes it look so easy.

A : Probably the best player i've seen in a blue shirt. Absolutely world class, and the fact he's nevere played in the Champions League doesn't change that, his performances for years in the Prem have proven it to be true. His defending is great too, people seem to think because he's so good going forward he must be poor defensively but he's not. Don't think he'll leave us till we're desperate for funds or he retires.

I'd love it if he was still able to do it on the pitch. If he just wants a final hurrah he can get stuffed.

1.Moyes will likely play the usual
4-4-1-1.I think Jelavic will come back into the side.

Injuries and current form....Expected team:

Howard

Neville Jagielka Distin Baines

Mirallas Gibson Osman Pienaar

Fellaini

Jelavic

I think it will be a tough game for us, as it is anyone going to Old Trafford. if we can pick up a point great. But we'll be coming to win so no sitting back from us like in previous years.

Your weak point is obviously your back 4 and keeper. If we can disrupt them we may be able to take something from the game.

2.Expectations before the season started was to fight for a Europa League position. At present thats the minimum we want. From now on in we want to beat as many teams as possible turning draws into wins. We've only been beat 3 times this season.

3. Our best players are Baines and Fellaini, but best players this season along with those two are probably Osman and Distin. With Anichebe really starting to come good. Osman has just matured into a fantastic piece of the jigsaw, whilst Distin consistantly plays brilliant. He is always prone to the odd mistake though.

4. Gibson makes us tick. But his overall this season he is too injury prone. To the point where you worry game to game. If he could stay fit for a whole season he'd be in your starting 11 every week never mind ours. Always looks to be carrying additional weight, but maybe thats his build.

5.Dont think theres a better left back in Europe than Baines at present. Stats dont lie. He's loyal and I highly doubt he'll leave. An approach from Bayern Munich was turned away by the player himself. Hes happy here at present. Hes regulary in the Englamd squad and we're looking to win things so cant see him leaving, unlesd forced out (ridiculous bid).

6. It would all depend where we where at at the time smd also him. If he could do a job for us then why not. Most fans dont hold grudges. Hes one of us ( an evertonian) and that will never change. Once a blue always a blue.

Cheers, bluejock.

Southampton showed that ManU can be pushed back, not saying we can imitate that performance but if Jelavic wakens up and Fellaini is monstrous we can challenge you no doubt...& No Heitinga, thanx

Very good season, transfer window was missed opportunity..now 4th looks like too much (but we are not trowing our axes into the Mersey yet) FA Cup....thats what we want and is more likely than 4th imo.

Baines, Fellaini, you know why.

One of the most important player to us, when fit. Brilliant buy.

best LB in PL

6. How would you feel if Rooney was to rejoin Everton for the final years of his career?would welcome him in a heartbeat, someday he will be back i believe

thanx

What are the odds of Man Utd fielding a weakened side due to the little matter of Real Madrid mid-week ?

I think if City drop points Saturday , Fergie will rest key players (fingers crossed)

Cheers, bluejock.

We always play well against the top teams and I think we match up well against UTD. I think we have an excellent chance to pull out the double this year. Moyes will use Fellani as the target

1. I don't expect too many changes in the game plan from the 1st match. If Fellani does play Moyes will again use him as a target man. I thought we had a run in the center of the pitch in the 1st match too.

2. Season has been great. Have a chance for a long cup run. Only 3 losses. One too many ties against the bottom of the league but that happens I guess.

3. Best Players: 1. Baines 2. Fellani 3. Jags

4. Steady/Consistent. 500K was a steal for the guy. However I wish you included a hamstring or 2 in the sale price.

5. Look at Baines assist rate, the number of chances he creates, and the # of goals he scores despite the fact that he plays a defensive position. Its incredible.

6. We are always lacking goal scoring forwards, so I wouldn't mind at all as long as early-mid 30s Rooney isn't Mid 30s Owen.

After last years 4-4 I'd expect Utd to be flying at us from the start. Pienaar was fantastic in that game but he has badly faded in the last few months, ever since he cut his dreads off! If everyone is fit there wont be any shocks in the Everton line up, Anichebe or Jelavic is Moyes only decision to make ( Assuming the decision to drop Heitinga doesn't take him more than a millisecond )

Excellent so far, but in honesty we are going to have to play better than we have being to even hold on to 5th never mind 4th. I dont want to sound too negative but I'd take finishing 5th now if it was offered.

Baines, comfortably the best left back in the league, Fellaini and one that hasnt been mentioned so far Distin, he defies his age and doesn't seem to have lost any pace or strength.

Fantasic buy, when fit one of our most important players.

If I was SAF or Mancini I would have offered Everton silly money 2 seasons ago for Baines, Better than Evra and obviously no where near the tithead and much better than Clichy. Cant' see him leaving the North West so its a no brainer.

he wouldnt get a game ahead of Naismith so there is no point
(That is a joke by the way)

Status
Not open for further replies.