Players personal ambitions vs club ambitions

Status
Not open for further replies.
I look at players like Keane, Giggs, Scholes, (granted, they played for the best team in the world) but they could've easily went abroad and played for Barcelona. Roy Keane was the best box to box midfielder of that generation and I know he left Forest but he could've easily have left United. After Man Utd won the treble in 1998/99, Roy Keane said he was disappointed that Feeguson didn't strengthen the squad to compete and win everything again. He could've left but he fought for that badge on his chest.

Matt Le Tissier is a player that struck me as loyal. Committed to Southampton when they were an average side, he could've scored goals anywhere he went. A great footballer and one of the most loyal.

You might hate me for saying this next one but Steven Gerrard has always been loyal. I don't know how close he was to joining Chelsea, I think it was very close but he never. I like that he said to Roscoe about staying at Everton as he'll develop better here and enjoy his football. He could've easily said to leave for a 'bigger' club.

Keane and Gerrard are shocking examples. Keane stayed loyal to a side who dominated the league and were one of the best in Europe. It's like commending a lad for staying loyal to Kelly Brook.

Gerrard would have been at Chelsea for years were it not for certain characters on Merseyside.

Status
Not open for further replies.