Players personal ambitions vs club ambitions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruce Wayne

Player Valuation: £100m
I was watching an interesting thing on YouTube last night on Batistuta and something he said stuck out. He was speaking about his time at Fiorentina and was asked why he never moved to a 'bigger' club to win more titles, and he said that it was about the challenge. He loved the club and the city, and a win at Fiorentina would be worth 10 titles at a 'bigger' club, where winning would be easy.

Given his legendary status in the game, I thought it might be a good lesson for some of our bright young things.

I was watching an interesting thing on YouTube last night on Batistuta and something he said stuck out. He was speaking about his time at Fiorentina and was asked why he never moved to a 'bigger' club to win more titles, and he said that it was about the challenge. He loved the club and the city, and a win at Fiorentina would be worth 10 titles at a 'bigger' club, where winning would be easy.

Given his legendary status in the game, I thought it might be a good lesson for some of our bright young things.

True that... I hope this is how Ross feels..... Everton, not Fiorentina though

Batigol = legend

I love this attitude (battitude) and yeah this would be the way I'd like our players to see us.

There's an element of insecurity amongst most players nowadays, as if they think if they don't win anything they won't be remembered. Compare bat with say Chicharito. Chicharito has won much more than Batistuta but nobody would ever consider him better and in ten years time Chicharito will be forgotten at utd whereas 100 years from now Batistuta will still be revered by fiorentina fans.

Theres a lot to be said about just being happy in your job getting a good wage, being adored by the fans. Theres very few places more special than everton, you hear it from most of our former players that we were the highlight of there careers regardless of winning trophies or not

I loved that guy. Fiorentina were my Italian team when Ch4 used to show the games. They had a great, entertaining side.

I suppose it's a lot easier to stay in such a beautiful city as Florence and be paid a good wage to play regular togger.

Would his attitude be the same if he was playing for Hull or Burnley?

I look at players like Keane, Giggs, Scholes, (granted, they played for the best team in the world) but they could've easily went abroad and played for Barcelona. Roy Keane was the best box to box midfielder of that generation and I know he left Forest but he could've easily have left United. After Man Utd won the treble in 1998/99, Roy Keane said he was disappointed that Feeguson didn't strengthen the squad to compete and win everything again. He could've left but he fought for that badge on his chest.

Matt Le Tissier is a player that struck me as loyal. Committed to Southampton when they were an average side, he could've scored goals anywhere he went. A great footballer and one of the most loyal.

You might hate me for saying this next one but Steven Gerrard has always been loyal. I don't know how close he was to joining Chelsea, I think it was very close but he never. I like that he said to Roscoe about staying at Everton as he'll develop better here and enjoy his football. He could've easily said to leave for a 'bigger' club.

Always liked Batistuta, reminds me of when Italian football was on channel 4 when I was younger with that James Richardson bloke.

George Weah was always my favourite though.

That Italia show on Channel 4 was the tits, goooaaaaaal!

Juve with Baggio, Zidane, Viali, Ravenelli, Del Piero etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.