Our chances of Champions League football next year?

Champions League, havin' a laugh?

• Yes, we'll do them all.

Votes: 30 21.3%
  • No, it's a step too far.

Votes: 72 51.1%
  • Europa or bust

Votes: 26 18.4%
  • Pan con queso?

Votes: 13 9.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chimpy Glassman

Player Valuation: £30m
Well, with all of the spending and crazyness of most of the big hitting clubs in this window, I was wondering what you though our chances were of securing Champions league football next season.

If you look at the clubs in contention for Champions League next year -

1. Manchester City
2. Chelsea
3. Arsenal
4. Manchester United
5. Tottenham Hotspur
6. Liverpool

A lot of them have spent big to strengthen and are looking like they may be pushing on.

I think with the addition of extra games and the squad being thin as it is, it could be a big ask to crack the top 4.

I think winning the Europa League could be an excellent 'in' it's just committing the squad to that and putting all of your eggs into the European trophy dream could be a risky strategy.

Admittedly, I was pretty sure that in the previous season we would fall much further short than we did but we came tantalisingly close to an unbelievable achievement.

I think if we can get one or two real European talents in, in this window and utilise a strong youth contingent we can push it pretty close.

...what am I saying? We're going to win the league. No doubt.

If we sign the 6 players Roberto wants: Great chance
If we don't sign the 6 players Roberto wants: No chance at all.

Simple, really.

We will not win the Europa League. Get that out your head ASAP.

While unlikely it's not completely out of the question. Even with some of the CL teams dropping in, I don't think there is a team we flat out can't beat. It's not like we're going to be running into Bayern in the Europa semis.

I expect Utd and Arsenal to be better than last year
Liverpool and Spurs to be worse

However, if we don't sign a good striker, a pacy winger and at least 3-4 more bodies, we will struggle to impact the top 6

With the current squad - absolutely zero.

We have no striker who will get us even 10 goals.

With the current squad we'll be fighting for 8/9 position.

If we add a top striker plus one or two others that could transform to a top four push.

With the current squad - absolutely zero.

We have no striker who will get us even 10 goals.

With the current squad we'll be fighting for 8/9 position.

If we add a top striker plus one or two others that could transform to a top four push.

I think this is a very good point. Perhaps the question should be asked when the window shuts.

Status
Not open for further replies.