Non-UK Evertonians

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toronto, Canada.
Lived in Liverpool all my life until I moved to Canada in 2004. Born into a local Blue family and had no choice but to take the right path, the Blue path! Ever present and season ticket holder during the glorious 80s, only leaving my ST behind before emigrating. I still get to a couple of games when I visit the family back in the area. Glad that I actually get to see almost every game live on the TV over here - being an armchair fan allows much anger and resentment when required!
Im back next May to play at Goodison in the Football Aid 2014 game...and yes I will blub walking out to Z Cars, a dream come true!

Vancouver
Being born to South African parents and having spent a lot of time over there I took interest in the world cup when it came around. I liked Pienaar and decided to check out his team after. At the time I was watching a lot of other teams, you know the man utds and barcas of the world, but nothing clicked like Everton did. Just felt right. I've been to Goodison once (I was there when Hibbo scored) and I loved the city. I can't wait to come back.

Just curious, how many non-english supporters are there on this forum. I've never been to England let alone Goodison Park but am a dyed in the wool blue, born not manufactured I guess.
I noticed a number of yanks on here and wondered if they're displaced brits or American born and bred and what made them support the toffees and footie in general when America is spoilt for choices when it comes to sport. Would like to hear from all non brits, not just the yanks. Curious like.

english football has been big in Norway for decades. Destiny made me support Everton. I was not into football but then at secondary school everyone in my class supported a english team, so I wanted to have one just for the fun of it, so I chose someone no one else had, and also there was a norwegian in the team, Thomas Myhre. Everton grew on me more and more, I went to Goodison when I was about 14 and watched Everton-Chelsea. Everton lost with my fellow norwegian Tore Andre Flo scoring for Chelsea. Love Everton to bits now .

So do I, although their owner has back stabbed our city more times then I can count. We do have a beautiful new stadium, with a minor league team filling it.

I picked them when Channel 5 started having Bball games on in the middle of the night about 10 years ago (maybe more). I like Gary Sheffield, so picked the Marlins, they then went and won the WS.

Canadian, but grew up in South Africa, and was "chosen by Alan Ball" in (late) 1966. Seen the Blues in action 5 times, and in December bringing my two offspring (18 and 20) to Goodison for their first ever visit (although they've seen the Blues in US and met some of the players).

American born and bred.

My wife is English and her parents are from Liverpool so that's the Everton connection. When we started dating is when I seriously got into English football.

Been to Goodison, when we beat Sunderland 2-0 a couple years back. Think Beckford had a brace.

Raleigh here too! Obviously I'm not the only blue in town....

Liverpool born and (mostly) bred. Been an expat for 16 years living in the states. Earliest memories of Goodison are from the early 70's. But the best match I ever went to at Goodison was the 1985 tie with Bayern Munich. Wow.. just remembering that night makes me smile. We were on fire!

South African - started watching in the 70's when the FA Cup Final was the only soccer (as we call it ) on our TV - we only got TV in 1976.Started off as a Nottingham Forrest supporter but later converted to Everton .Started watching seriously again when my eldest son became a WestBrom fan because he could not handle Moyes playing has beens in a style from the 90's.Having lost my son as an Everton supporter maybe explains my total dislike of Moyes - hehehe

Expanded! Part of my New Signing intro:

New to the EPL, not to Football. Since my parents got us into playing soccer early in life, our whole family became soccer junkies. We all played! Only sport I ever liked playing.

My older brother and I started first in 1980. Dad helped start a youth soccer league, studied the game, coached, refereed, and played in men's beer leagues. I also started reffing kids games at age 10 or so. My brother at a point was on 3 to 4 teams at once (including indoor teams). Most of our friends were teammates or made from rival teams. It took our younger sister till high school to get the bug but once she did she didn't take crap off those bitches. Even mom played on an over 30's women's team.

There were not many pro teams to go watch growing up and never on TV. I remember seeing the Dallas Tornados once in 1981 and the occasional the Dallas Sidekicks (indoor) but the league folded mid-80’s. So even since the MLS started I just haven’t gotten attach into any team. FC Dallas was close, but I have a general disliking for most things Dallas, plus that was many years after a moved away for college. If Fort Worth ever got a team, I would be a diehard fan.

We got to go see some of the world cup qualifiers and friendly’s in early 90’s then attended 5 1994 WC matches. The only team I ever care about was the US National Team. Since Klinsmann took over, I have loved the play the team is achieving. And I guess I needed more, and my slipped disk prevents me from playing anymore.

So this year I finally decided to follow the EPL and see what team I gravitated towards. Many reasons lead me to Everton. First I enjoyed tracing my history and wanted to choose a team based in the area of my family's ancestral origin Ol' Lancashire and close to Bolton. Bolton was considered but relegation and some things I read about Bolton fans I didn’t like. Second team maybe?? So out of the teams in the Manchester/Liverpool, Everton stood out. I am not a bandwagon and big money team chaser. After reading the history of Everton and the Anfield owner, my personality took the Blue’s side. Plus Liverpool is owned by Boston Red Socks, which I can’t stand them either. And it didn’t hurt I do enjoy rooting for my fellow Americans (Timmy). Everything thing I read about Everton, good principles, great fans, I loved. I think also while I was watching the Confederation Cup this past summer, I kept seeing Martinez and liked what he had to say.

So with all those things, something just snapped in me, and I knew I was a Toffee. My jersey has been ordered, and I was hitting F5 over transfer window just like everyone else.

I am sure if there was a football team before 1816, my family would have been Toffees. I am planning to come over sooner than later to catch a match, and explore the area of my ancestors.

Born to play football! Finally have a team to love!

Last edited:
America here, Arizona, but grew up in Boston in the 80s.

I'm a new Blue, so hope I don't get run out of town.

Have always enjoyed watching football on tv, followed along with the World Cups, Euros, etc and would watch whatever league games came on sporadically, rooting for the underdog or Americans abroad.

Figured it was time to "pick a team" and Everton just seemed right. Proud history and tradition, but not a frontrunner. (I'd rather eat airport sushi tossed in a dumpster for three days under the Arizona 100f/40c sun than root for Ski or one of the Mans). The fact Timmah and several other Americans have had stints here was a factor.

I liked GOT on facebook about a year ago, getting all the updates, started lurking here more recently as the season approached (and EPL coverage here has mushroomed) and you seem like such an amusing lot I started posting.

Auckland New Zealand
Was in a kibbutz (Israel) in 1984 and roomed with a blue...I caught the fever. And what great timing!!...we won the FA cup that year, then the League in 85...I want to Goodison over the next 2 years about 20 times, all the London games, went to watch us win the Cup winners cup in Rotterdam, saw the first all Merseyside cup final (1986)...fabulous, fabulous times (although we lost that latter game). I love Everton, and through me, my whole family does to.

American, raised in the UK. Step dad is a Blue, from the Wirral.

Have now bounced all across the world and currently in New Zealand (actually in Auckland too).

Found out the other week that there is a season ticket holder working next door. He hasn't been back in a few years though but maintains his ticket.

Status
Not open for further replies.