Moyes on Osman....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Its a known fact that against your Stoke's, Bolton's, Hull's etc Osman shines and looks like Modric.

Anyone else, especially when he's out of the wing, he's a ghost, easily muscled off the ball and just hasnt got anything about him to say he able to be effective.

I think if he just bulked up or put himself about a bit more he could cope better, but it doesnt look like its gonna happen anytime soon.

BUT he's the 12th different player in the squad to score for the team apparantly, so we know he's useful sometimes.

We don't exactly need him to beef up alot to be honest, as long as he build up his body strength, which allow him to hold on to the ball when someone try to muscled him off the ball.

Which is a department he is yet to improve, is not as though he does not have a good example in the team now, Pienaar and Arteta are people he should learn things off.

We all wishes Osman could have been a more pacy midfielder, but as this is natural ability there is nothing much we could really do to improve his pace, but we could actually improve his acceleration so he could gain that extra yard or two when he goes past a player.

I just wish he work on some of these improvement, because even Hibbert has been improving his game recently.

More praise from the boss. He really regards him and Hibbert VERY highly at the club.

The Mirror -

Everton boss David Moyes tells Leon Osman his future is at Goodison Park
Published 18:31 04/10/09 By David Maddock
David Moyes paid tribute to stand-in skipper Leon Osman by insisting the midfielder has a huge future at Goodison.
The home-grown player struck back with a fine effort after Stoke took a surprise lead in this game, and his Everton manager scotched rumours that he was set to leave in the summer.
"There was no chance of him going after the cup final, nothing in that at all. I see him and Tony Hibbert as the brickwork here, they are home-grown players who are the fabric of the club," the Goodison boss said.
"He was never on his way out. He has shown great courage in working hard to stay here at this club, and he showed great courage again to get us back into the game. It took real balls to step up and take that shot when he had missed from a similar position earlier, because the crowd here can be unforgiving at times."

Bugger.

We don't exactly need him to beef up alot to be honest, as long as he build up his body strength, which allow him to hold on to the ball when someone try to muscled him off the ball.

Which is a department he is yet to improve, is not as though he does not have a good example in the team now, Pienaar and Arteta are people he should learn things off.

We all wishes Osman could have been a more pacy midfielder, but as this is natural ability there is nothing much we could really do to improve his pace, but we could actually improve his acceleration so he could gain that extra yard or two when he goes past a player.

I just wish he work on some of these improvement, because even Hibbert has been improving his game recently.

That's what I meant.

Ossie's touch and passing is top notch. He's also probably, when he pulls it off, the player with the quickest feet in the team.

But for 90% of the time he'll get the minimalist of shoulder barges and just go flying to the deck. He can beat players, but once he does there's only one person that is going to get the ball and that's the defender because he never gives a fight. Well, not that he cant give one cos he does battle, he just never wins one faily easily.

I think if he steamed in, was a little bit of a rat and throw his elbows around a bit it would do his game the world of good.

That's what I meant.

Ossie's touch and passing is top notch. He's also probably, when he pulls it off, the player with the quickest feet in the team.

But for 90% of the time he'll get the minimalist of shoulder barges and just go flying to the deck. He can beat players, but once he does there's only one person that is going to get the ball and that's the defender because he never gives a fight. Well, not that he cant give one cos he does battle, he just never wins one faily easily.

I think if he steamed in, was a little bit of a rat and throw his elbows around a bit it would do his game the world of good.

If he did that the poor lad would get chinned...big time...he needs a good feeding

2 pints of guiness and a bag of chips per night and we've got ourselves the next Zidane!

it's moments like the one yesterday that endear him to so many, if that had been one of the bigger names in the prem then the whole country would be talking about it endlessly, but cos it was 'captain kahunas' then it will go almost unnoticed.

That's what I meant.

he just need improve his technique, someone like Yakubu, Distin and Jagielka are also good at it, you need to put yourself between the ball and the defender, not shoulder to shoulder if he push you away from the back then it's a foul, he need to improve that side of the game.

Also it's no point to go head on with a big player, use his size to his advantage, which is what Pienaar is best at doing, learn from the lad.

Just wish he did improve these department and he would be a great player for us!

Last edited:
He's just completely unsuited to playing outwide, he doesn't have the strength, pace or skills to beat a man. He just ends up cutting inside and running into traffic.

A player like Osman isn't suited to running with the ball because of the reasons mentioned. In the middle he can play to his strengths and release the ball alot quicker, knit things together with short, intelligent passing.

He's got quick feet, he's good at changing direction on the spot and he's intelligent in his natural position.

If Moyes thinks he's the answer outwide then we won't get anywhere. If he's going to be used use him in the middle, especially at home.

he just need improve if technique, someone like Yakubu, Distin and Jagielka are also good at it, you need to put yourself between the ball and the defender, not shoulder to shoulder if he push you away from the back then it's a foul, he need to improve that side of the game.

Also it's no point to go head on with a big player, use his size to his advantage, which is what Pienaar is best at doing, learn from the lad.

Just wish he did improve these department and he would be a great player for us!

Pienaar, despite his size, is far from lightweight though. He's pretty strong for a little man and very agile, over those first few yards he's as quick as anyone.

Osman, after Fellaini, is probably our slowest player. And he's also lacks that strength which is the most important thing.

And positionially Pienaar has the advantage, being a right footer playing on the left wing. He has that licence to cut inside and run away from his fullback. Osman, being a right footer playing on the right usually has to face his opposition fullback alot more.

there are tonnes of midfielder better than him in europe. If we have the chance and money we should seek to improve.

Pienaar, despite his size, is far from lightweight though. He's pretty strong for a little man and very agile, over those first few yards he's as quick as anyone.

Osman, after Fellaini, is probably our slowest player. And he's also lacks that strength which is the most important thing.

And positionially Pienaar has the advantage, being a right footer playing on the left wing. He has that licence to cut inside and run away from his fullback. Osman, being a right footer playing on the right usually has to face his opposition fullback alot more.

I always had Ossie to be a bit of a nimble lad. Maybe its my eyes but I wouldnt say he was the 2nd slowest. He hasnt got pace to burn but I wouldnt call him slow.

Almost is the word i think of the most when it comes to Osman - good player to have in and around the team IMO. Great feet if he was two stone heavier and another 4 inches he would be like Gazza.

He's just completely unsuited to playing outwide, he doesn't have the strength, pace or skills to beat a man. He just ends up cutting inside and running into traffic.

A player like Osman isn't suited to running with the ball because of the reasons mentioned. In the middle he can play to his strengths and release the ball alot quicker, knit things together with short, intelligent passing.

He's got quick feet, he's good at changing direction on the spot and he's intelligent in his natural position.

If Moyes thinks he's the answer outwide then we won't get anywhere. If he's going to be used use him in the middle, especially at home.

Absotively!

Status
Not open for further replies.