Miguel Veloso

Status
Not open for further replies.
Speaking about Arteta mate, Carrick, Fernandes and Alonso all three are play makers, protected by other midfeilders in our case Neville and Fellaini.

I dont know what this deep lying midfeilder thing is, all those players are playmakers who yes can pick up the ball deep i.e. every player has defensive responisibilities but their real quailities come out in the top 40 of the pitch. We play five i the middle to enable us to play Arteta centraly. The need to pidgeon hole is beyond me, Arteta is deep lying, Fellaini is attacking and now apparently Cahill was never a midfeilder but a second striker, hmm maybe there just midfeilders with different qualites that compliment, and offer us different options in games based on these qualites. Pidgeon holeing each is frankly belieing eachs importance to the team both defensiveily and in an attacking sense. I think weve been starved of well ronded players for to many years around, Evertoians just cant get their heads around it.

You do know I'm taking the piss, I know very well that Mikel Arteta isn't a defensive midfielder. I’m messing about with Goat as he seems to think there is a massive difference between Veloso and the likes of Arteta, Alonso, Carrick, Fernandes etc.

There isn’t though, not a chance. They are all deep lying playmakers. A deep lying playmaker is a playmaker who sets up attacks in a withdrawn position, in front of the back four. He picks the ball up in deeper positions and links defence to attack.

That’s exactly what Veloso does, his passing ability is his main attribute. He picks the ball up and sprays passes right, left and centre. Similar to the role Xabi Alonso occupy’s at Liverpool or Pirlo at AC Milan.

Manuel Fernandes was called a “defensive midfielder” in Portugal, I think we’ll all agree that he isn’t one. He moved to England and it was obvious to see. I think exactly the same thing would happen to Veloso who is a similar player. They occupy the same positions on the pitch and they provide a link between defence and attack.

Of course he can tackle, so can Arteta. It doesn’t mean he functions as a defensive midfielder though. So if you and Goat are telling me Veloso is a defensive midfielder then I can say Arteta is, simple as really. And if he isn’t what’s the massive difference between him and Veloso?

Pigeon holing? Which player have I done this to? Fellaini? No I didn’t. I said his natural position is “centre midfield” but that is not the role he’s occupying at the moment. He’s playing behind the striker. Moyes even said lately that he’s playing him in an advanced position because of our lack of strikers, ideally he’d like to move him back and let him develop in the middle. Call it second striker or call it in the hole, I don’t really care. That is the role he is playing though.

Damn you, damn you to hell. I was clearly only joking as well, cant believe you thought i was really talking FMspeak for real. Your either a defender, a midfielder or an attacker. The roles within the team unit determine what you will do, they by no means define a playing postion.

Glad we got that one cleared up then.
To sum up. Veloso is a mid fielder. He's good. We can't afford him. Sporting won't loan him.

Why you all pussying out? There's a discussion to be had here.

Whilst i was joking, i would be happy to talk about the merits of each role within the unit, i stand by my claim of the roles in which players play. So i standby the fact that Veloso would be a wonderful replacement for Neville. And he would take over most of the Defensive dutys and allow Mikel more licence to roam forward.

We definately need a striker before we break our transfer record on a midfielder.

It will probably be a while I reckon until Fellaini's record get's smashed.

Whilst i was joking, i would be happy to talk about the merits of each role within the unit, i stand by my claim of the roles in which players play. So i standby the fact that Veloso would be a wonderful replacement for Neville. And he would take over most of the Defensive dutys and allow Mikel more licence to roam forward.

You'd be a good replacement for Neville.

I haven't read much of the thread but Veloso is out of Everton's reach. Even if money wasn't a problem I don't see him leaving Sporting unless it's for a Champions League side in England, Spain or Italy.

He is a fantastic player from what I have seen, but the price is too high, he is valued at £20 million pounds, there is no way we can afford that on 1 player

We have enough Midfielders anyway with Mikel going back to his normal Central role, we need a Striker and a Winger to compete with the likes of Villa and Arsenal for 4th place

He is a fantastic player from what I have seen, but the price is too high, he is valued at £20 million pounds, there is no way we can afford that on 1 player

We have enough Midfielders anyway with Mikel going back to his normal Central role, we need a Striker and a Winger to compete with the likes of Villa and Arsenal for 4th place

Agreed, a good pacey winger is needed!

I agree that Arteta is not a defensive midfielder, he is a creative central midfielder who operates from a deep position. A defensive midfielder is a player whose main role is to protect the defence. In Arteta's case, his aim is to pick the ball up from deep from the defence, and then drive the team forward on the attack, whether this being either dribbling forward or playing a killer pass. The best example I can think to use would be Chelsea 2/3 seasons ago. They had Claude Makelele playing as the defensive midfielder. He would do all the dirty work, and play the easy ball to Essien or in some cases Lampard. Essien or Lampard would then drive Chelsea forward.

Shiteh are interested in him for £19million trying to get him from Manure, who've been interested in him for ages...

And they printed we were interested hahahahahahaaha.

If Shiteh do get him and its true, someone's gonna get benched - De Jong and Kompany aint gonna be in the same midfield.

Shiteh are interested in him for £19million trying to get him from Manure, who've been interested in him for ages...

And they printed we were interested hahahahahahaaha.

If Shiteh do get him and its true, someone's gonna get benched - De Jong and Kompany aint gonna be in the same midfield.

Kompany and Veloso are very versatile though, they can both play CB and I think Veloso can also do LB, but it's unlikely they'll be used like that.

They could try sticking all three in CM, De Jong and Kompany sitting with Veloso just ahead getting forward or threading passes all over the shop. They'd need their Wing Backs getting forward though for width but atleast that formation gives them the chance to use 3 of their 50 strikers. lol

Some clubs will get some quality players for knockdown prices though in the summer/next Jan, as City have some players that are too good to be warming their bench.

Not many of you have seen him play, right?

He's the defensive player in a diamond midfield. His passing is absolutely great, with BOTH feet.

I think he could play in more advanced areas because of his vision and his shot. However, when he did, mainly in the national side, he didn't perform particulary well.

He has played as a left back also.

Status
Not open for further replies.