Votes: 63 78.8%
  • Yer ma

Votes: 10 12.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

when i score we riot

Player Valuation: £35m
So i'm really intrigued by what he's done so far.

Our youngest academy products seem like they're being treated with a much more watchful eye than under Moyes. The current crop used to be anonymous names in a youth intake announcement article, but in recent weeks four of them have signed pro deals, 2 years for trying out. They've also gotten runouts in preseason.

We have 2-year contracts for Grant, Pennington, Browning and Long - lids we knew nothing about a year ago. We also have McAleny going out on loan and a bucketload of other talents that yet have somewhere to put themselves - Stones, Garbutt, Lundstram, etc.

efc__1217498052_evertoncup.jpg

This is different from Moyes. He'd let most graduates quietly work themselves out, and tie down bigger prospects on longer deals. Generally, it seemed he didn't have as much esteem for our academy boys as Martinez is showing.

Martinez is also giving Deulofeu a chance in our first team, which is terriffic. It's a move akin to Cleverley at Wigan or Wilshere at Bolton. I have a feeling that Moyes would never do something like that. Some might say it's weak to give our own space out for development of other teams' kids. Myself i think it's a great statement of intent, something exciting for the fans, and especially for the player.

I've always considered we should've done the same - i'm curious if we would be willing to loan out our own to a PL club, f.ex. giving Barkley a stint at Hull (hypothetically). The arguments against this is giving our own talent out to rival clubs, and that's understandable. But come on. Ross needs time turning out against PL greats, not jarg championship-level grocks.

_67993194_martinez2.jpg

So far, this makes me really optimistic. Yay academy! We've heard of the NextGen league, which i thought it a travesty to not include us in, as our U21's and U18's perform really well regularly. Here's hoping we get in there. And here's hoping Martinez' proactive approach to youth creates value in the club and some nice gems. Sadly, since Rooney i've felt every single of our biggest prospects seemd to trip over the threshold. There's a long list of ****ups: Jeffers, Baxter, Vaughan, Rodwell - none of these really felt like they ever made it. I don't think we'll ever get that feel with Anichebe either, though the feelings he stirs in us have their own entertainment value.

I'm looking forward to the next youth intake, there should be a bit of that movement as well in the academy this summer. How about you guys? Are the youngsters finally getting the chances they deserve, or should they be made to work harder for them till they deserve it?

Last edited:
Good post mate. I think that youth will be given more time in the team and I'm more excited than I have been in the past few years at least. Watching Barkley today, it really is shocking that he wasn't given any more time last season. His decision making isn't always the best but that comes with game time and the lad just oozes technical class.

Just a couple of points of accuracy to help you out; Wolves aren't a Premier League team (perhaps in stature but not literally!). And f.ex isn't used, eg. is more easily understandable.

Watching today's first half, one of the commentators made the good point that Barkley and Oviedo were looking bright and lively and doing very well, and feel like two new signings as we've seen so little of them in the first team before now. At 19 and 23 their best years are ahead of them too, which is exciting.

Good post mate. I think that youth will be given more time in the team and I'm more excited than I have been in the past few years at least. Watching Barkley today, it really is shocking that he wasn't given any more time last season. His decision making isn't always the best but that comes with game time and the lad just oozes technical class.

Just a couple of points of accuracy to help you out; Wolves aren't a Premier League team (perhaps in stature but not literally!). And f.ex isn't used, eg. is more easily understandable.

Right! I meant Hull, but wrote Wolves.

And yes, Philosophy is a silly croporate buzzword, like. But Roberto would be the first guy at Everton to use it.

Fact is we won't know for several years.

He didn't promote youth players with Wigan, but we have a vastly better academy than they do.

It seems like he wants to get Stones, Duffy, Barkley and Vellios closer to the team and that he's putting more into developing the other youngsters than Moyes did. I don't think he'd be as hesitant about using youngsters as his predecessor either. It would be great to see Barkley, Mirallas and Deulofeu in full flow together.

It seems like he wants to get Stones, Duffy, Barkley and Vellios closer to the team and that he's putting more into developing the other youngsters than Moyes did. I don't think he'd be as hesitant about using youngsters as his predecessor either. It would be great to see Barkley, Mirallas and Deulofeu in full flow together.

Indeed. And judging by the fact he's given a lot of game time to Duffy, Stones, Barkley, Vellios and even gave Garbutt a runout today suggests the older crop (the lids we had before the 4 aforementioned new signings) will have their chance this time around.

good post, i agree, it's very refreshing. Our squad now looks about 6/7 players bigger than under moyes. yes we'd see a sprinkle of subs appearances, but we never really felt players like vellios and duffy would be given a proper go in the first team. i've always wondered if our youth players have ever been good enough to be loaned to another premier league club. i mean barkley obviously last season would have been, but apart from that, it is better if they're playing week in week out for a championship team as opposed to being a bit part player for someone like hull.

the test will be to see if he keeps faith with them when they've taken a chance and their replacement comes back from injury ala duffy season before last

Indeed. And judging by the fact he's given a lot of game time to Duffy, Stones, Barkley, Vellios and even gave Garbutt a runout today suggests the older crop (the lids we had before the 4 aforementioned new signings) will have their chance this time around.

Under Moyes there was very little chance of breaking into the first team so they played in the U21 just for themselves. It seems like there will be opportunities under Martinez though and the young players are raising their game because they want to be noticed. I missed the first half today but, apart from a couple of misplaced passes, Stones seemed perfectly at home especially as he was playing in a unfamiliar position.

...you all probably know my view, if they are good enough they will come through. The Premier League is a major step up and it makes no difference who the manager is, they will not use games at that level to trial players unless they feel they are up to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.