Martinez must adapt

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hate being so negative, but my gut tells me we were on a hiding to nothing today, and it was apparent after 5 mins that we were never really in the game.

'We were never really in the game' -- What total bollocks. Their first goal was the first time they had the ball in our half. Until the penalty the game could have gone either way. For the 10 minutes before the penalty there was only going to be one winner -- and it wasn't a team wearing red.

Did anyone else think Arsenal were poor? With more self belief and more conviction with the final pass we'd still be in the hat.

I like the way Martinez goes about things. I like that we go out to win every game, and are not set up to 'not lose'.

The only thing I'd like to see, and bear in mind that it's his first year here, is for us to 'mix it up' a little.

Play attractive, passing based possession football most of the time by all means, but we need to bully teams when necessary. Once he's cracked that, we're on a winner with Martinez.

Maybe that's another reason for promoting Duncan?

Did anyone else think Arsenal were poor? With more self belief and more conviction with the final pass we'd still be in the hat.

Yeah if we had a better final ball we'd have murdered them on the counter. Lukaku had a great opportunity to play Barkley in just before half time but chose to go alone.

The season is in play. We have a PL points total record to get. That's important because the further we push that marker out, the greater the progress we'll need to make in the future to surpass it and get a better league placing. Admittedly we're boxed in in that respect a lot by having the Liar in control. But this season is not petering out and shouldn't be allowed to.

I err, strangely, disagree with a lot of what you say Dave, but this is a top post mate.

'We were never really in the game' -- What total bollocks. Their first goal was the first time they had the ball in our half. Until the penalty the game could have gone either way. For the 10 minutes before the penalty there was only going to be one winner -- and it wasn't a team wearing red.

This.

If only Ross had buried that chance just before the penno.

we showed Arsenal too much respect at times look at how Stoke treated them the other week i am not suggesting we play like stoke but at times we lack bite and as one of the other members here rightly pointed out Baines kicking the ball out when thunder bird head was play acting was not a winning mentality was spot on
Arteta was actually caught by the camera removing his boot then whinging to the ref he had been trod on
and why the hell did Lakaku end up playing on the wing was he going to cross it to himself i think at that point Roberto had lost the plot

So I am about to come with one of those annoying football cliches. If we win our 2 games in hand, we are fifth. I think we would all have taken that in summer. Just need to win those games now.
One of them is Newcastle away...draw at best

Moyes = Inflexible = Guilty
Martinez = Inflexible = Not Proven...yet... 3 or 4 more windows to move bodies in and out to prove his point.

'Martinez goes to games to win' .. Sorry but I think this is absolute sh*te. Fair enough Martinez has his philosophy of how the game should be played & he's well within his rights to play to that. But we need to be able to adapt, for me there's no plan b. The top teams don't go into every game with the same game plan, they adapt depending on the opposition - To give themselves the best possible chance to win the game - Chelsea v City being a main example or even Liverpool v us & Arsenal.

We don't do this, we go into every game with the same game plan & have been found wanting near enough every time we've played a top 5/6 side away from home this season. We finish every game with 2 defensive midfielders on the pitch, very rarely have we actually tested the back four of the better sides, against Chelsea & Spurs we must have had about 2 shots at goal.

The simple fact is that RM got his tactics wrong, we just let arsenal have the ball and didn't press them at all, we just let them play and in the end they tore us apart, the 3rd goal was an example, how much time did OX(think it was) have in our box to pick out a pass, we didn't close them down at all, for me the last few away games have showed the players still have tbe Moyes mentality of WE CANT WIN.

I felt like we didn't even try they were there for the taking and we didn't turn up

there's a happy medium, and we need to find that....arteta wasn't even hurt, he knew he was caught out and he overplayed his knock (its a tactic encouraged by Wenger)...

was thinking this, arteta was a bit of a fanny when he first came here and a tad snidey, our club taught it out of him and he moves there and he's back to his old ways. wish someone at the top would encourage our bloddy stance tbh, it would be good for the future of the sport and not just from a spectacle perspective.

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/everton-fc-roberto-martinez-says-6803252?

If you play an attacking brand of football, some games against top opposition if we have an off day we will lose heavily. It comes with the style of play.

It's when you start playing Ossie Ardiles suicide football with 3 at the back and 7 forwards that I'll start worrying lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.