Martinez must adapt

Status
Not open for further replies.

teppic

Player Valuation: £50m
A great game of football if truth be told... for the neutral..

From our point of view, we gave it a good go but we really didn't need to be so expansive. Arsenal did not want a replay, we really should have been a bit more savvy at 1-1 and play out for the draw.

Season is just about deflated as a New Year's Eve balloon at Easter.

The club does not seem to be built on the soundest of foundations either if our future transfer activity is using loan deals that Martinez seems to like.

I suppose this must be merged with the countless other threads that are concerned for the club's ambition.

Everton will get 7th again this season, but at least it is without Moyes. So some crumbs of comfort.

Martinez does not play for draws and I am glad about that.
We are in the month of March in his first season and we are feeling deflated about it...thats a sign that he has done a good job IMO.
Whilst Kenwright is at the helm RM will continue to use the loan system for the very reason you know.

We have to take today on the chin and do as RM does....look for the positives

And why would we have wanted a replay?

We are having a fixture backlog building up already.....and any replay couldn't have beem played in any of the two upcoming midweeks.

The fact is we were pressing for a winner and should have been in front when Ross missed the target with the goal gaping.

A different game then.

And the season isn't "deflated".....win these next two home games againt the Boyos and who knows where we will be re the 4th place trophy, given the fixtures coming up for the four teams immediately above us.

And why would we have wanted a replay?

We are having a fixture backlog building up already.....and any replay couldn't have beem played in any of the two upcoming midweeks.

The fact is we were pressing for a winner and should have been in front when Ross missed the target with the goal gaping.

A different game then.

And the season isn't "deflated".....win these next two home games againt the Boyos and who knows where we will be re the 4th place trophy, given the fixtures coming up for the four teams immediately above us.

We would want a replay because it would be played at Goodison under the lights.

The season is deflated. No point denying it.

The season is in play. We have a PL points total record to get. That's important because the further we push that marker out, the greater the progress we'll need to make in the future to surpass it and get a better league placing. Admittedly we're boxed in in that respect a lot by having the Liar in control. But this season is not petering out and shouldn't be allowed to.

The season is in play. We have a PL points total record to get. That's important because the further we push that marker out, the greater the progress we'll need to make in the future to surpass it and get a better league placing. Admittedly we're boxed in in that respect a lot by having the Liar in control. But this season is not petering out and shouldn't be allowed to.

Cheers for the positive vibes, Dave! I can't imagine what you would be like if Kenwright left the club too!! ;-)

Agreed we must win the games in the league as Arsenal might yet implode, but I wish he could have been happy with that draw and brought them back to the Old Lady with a few savvy tactics. Every trick in the book was it that Chelsea used?

Cheers for the positive vibes, Dave! I can't imagine what you would be like if Kenwright left the club too!! ;-)

Agreed we must win the games in the league as Arsenal might yet implode, but I wish he could have been happy with that draw and brought them back to the Old Lady with a few savvy tactics. Every trick in the book was it that Chelsea used?

There's a lot of self belief gone in this team. We weren't thinking there today. We looked like a team trying to recapture early season form, and to be honest I dont see us having at this stage what it tales to bring down both Arsenal and City in these cup games.

It's a big test for Martinez now. He needs to get these pumped up again in confidence levels. For me, it'll be a greater guide to his powers as a manager than the early season form. We're in adversity a little bit: let's see how he handles the situation.

if we played for the draw they would have evntually scored. you cant stand back and play deep against AOC, cazorla, ozil, giroud etc.

There's a lot of self belief gone in this team. We weren't thinking there today. We looked like a team trying to recapture early season form, and to be honest I dont see us having at this stage what it tales to bring down both Arsenal and City in these cup games.

It's a big test for Martinez now. He needs to get these pumped up again in confidence levels. For me, it'll be a greater guide to his powers as a manager than the early season form. We're in adversity a little bit: let's see how he handles the situation.

I think there was a great deal of self belief in our team and in that first half we did well. having said that I acknowledge that Arsenal had the better of the play. They had better subs to call on than we had to turn the game for them.

if we played for the draw they would have evntually scored. you cant stand back and play deep against AOC, cazorla, ozil, giroud etc.

Who in this thread is talking about sitting back and playing deep? I hope you are not confusing my post with these tactics. I would have liked a more street-wise approach from a team that would have happily taken the draw. No need to pull back 11 men in the box, but again no pressing desire either to leave such little shape across the pitch. Instead of an end to end basketball game that looks great when its not your team playing, we should have slowed the game down and run down the clock. 1-1 would have been a great result to bring back to our place.

Who in this thread is talking about sitting back and playing deep? I hope you are not confusing my post with these tactics. I would have liked a more street-wise approach from a team that would have happily taken the draw. No need to pull back 11 men in the box, but again no pressing desire either to leave such little shape across the pitch. Instead of an end to end basketball game that looks great when its not your team playing, we should have slowed the game down and run down the clock. 1-1 would have been a great result to bring back to our place.

that is generally how a team plays for a draw. teams don't play for a draw by going on the attack high up the pitch

Ozil =big money
Giroud =big money

That's the difference, you can post all you want about Roberto wanting to win, and you can blame Joe in goal, but today, more than ever, proved the fact that we will always have to rely on freak results, it's horrible, it's horrible to accept the fact, but once you do, this whole weight on our shoulders becomes a little easier to bear

I hate admitting it
It proper hurts
But it's true

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.