Martínez is shown the scale of the task to change Everton's style

Status
Not open for further replies.

Del

Ric Wee fan club member 2014
Sylvain Distin and Phil Jagielka exchanged passes deep in their own half during the 0-0 draw with West Bromwich Albion in a position where for the last few years they would have felt obliged to go more direct.

There was an audible murmur from a small section of the home fans and the debate about whether 'passing for passing sake’ serves a purpose beyond pleasing the new manager.

It seemed brutally premature for any show of dissent, but it demonstrated why evolving the blueprint left by David Moyes with a sprinkling of Spanish flair won’t be so straightforward for Martínez.

At their most effective under Moyes, Everton moved the ball from back to front as quickly as possible and were happy to win with brawn as much as artistry. In this goalless draw, outplaying rather than overpowering the opponent was the chief ambition. It amounted to a getting to know you operation requiring further work before familiarity breeds content.

The problem for Martínez is that under Moyes there was a well hidden and broadly disguised split among Everton fans as to what they wanted from this side.

Some tolerated what they perceived as the cautious pragmatism of the Scot because he made the side notoriously tough to beat (only Chelsea won here last season), but others were consistently frustrated by the ultra-vigilance, particularly away from home, where the team was often set up to avoid defeat rather than go for it.

Martínez joined a club where there is desire for more of the same but better, rather than a complete rethink on how to play. It may mean a step back is inevitable before there can be a more permanent leap forward.

He insists he wants Everton to be multi-dimensional. "There’s going to be a bit of a process," he said.

"It’s going to take a little bit of time to be able to make that transition to do things in a different way.

"Remember that it’s not looking for drastic changes. We want to keep all the good things we have at Goodison and use it to our advantage. I need to use all the strengths we have and then on top of that give us more options and dimensions. But overall we want to be a more rounded team where we can be more flexible.

"I could give you four or five flashes that we had in the game. The next thing is to do it for 60 or 70 minutes. It’s not trying to find something that we haven’t got. It’s just making it last longer so we are more in control of our own performance."

It must be hoped impatience won’t sabotage Martínez’s plans, because there is much to look forward to here if he gets it right.

Ross Barkley is a rare talent but still needs longer to develop, and beyond him you’ll be hearing the names Kieran Dowell and Ryan Ledson in the future, Everton’s Academy continuing to compensate for lack of transfer funds.

For all the home frustration, West Brom still had their goalkeeper and the woodwork to thank for the point.

Ben Foster must be pushing Joe Hart ever closer for a starting place in the England team, his consistency levels rising. Sadly for him, he needs a scan on an ankle problem sustained 12 minutes before time.

Both sides looked badly in need of more firepower in attack, but with Nicolas Anelka considering his future and Manchester United still prowling Goodison, the priority for Steve Clarke and Martinez is retaining everyone in their squad as much as reinforcing it.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/fo...t-Goodison-Park-to-change-Evertons-style.html

Pretty good article that.

Results will dictate how much patience he's afforded dragging us away from the hoofball Smtih and Moyes drilled into player and supporters alike. Then again, what's the alternative? Get Tony Pulis in...or some other dour tvat like 'Doooogie Freidman', the new Moyesiah? No thanks.

What makes you so confident that Martinez can actually do it?

I understand you believed Moyes had Everton playing awful football, I disagree.

However I don't understand your confidence in Martinez. He has shown nothing to indicate he can set up a winning team in the Premier League, nor one that plays attractive football on a regular basis.

Good read and pretty accurate. Anyone who doesn't realise it will take time needs there head looking at. Coupled with the fact it's the same personnel and it's not rocket science.

Patience is the key and hopefully eventually we will be rewarded with a team that plays attractive football on a more consistent basis and also maintain our status as one of the best teams in the country.

Good read and pretty accurate. Anyone who doesn't realise it will take time needs there head looking at. Coupled with the fact it's the same personnel and it's not rocket science.

Patience is the key and hopefully eventually we will be rewarded with a team that plays attractive football on a more consistent basis and also maintain our status as one of the best teams in the country.

I agree, it will take time to adjust, but we Stilton have a good team.

However I don't understand your confidence in Martinez. He has shown nothing to indicate he can set up a winning team in the Premier League, nor one that plays attractive football on a regular basis.

Because when he's had an even playing field at Swansea he produced a very competitive outfit. At this club he's got more of a challenge but he's got the material here, given time, to do the same. Of course if you want the 'winning team' up and ready without him having the time to accomplish it he wont succeed, so I suppose getting behind him and not constantly sniping at him from the sidelines is the best policy for any supporter. Doesn't sound too much of an ask to me, but apparently there's people who wont afford the new man that.

We don't know but we're willing to try and give him time and see what happens, he won a f.a cup with so much less then Moyes. He got a lot of potential.

Fortunately Martinez will ge given time in exactly the same way Moyes was. How can the board and chairman demand anything from our managers when they give them [Poor language removed] all money to do anything with.

Much in the same way Moyes wasnt sacked when we lost 10 from the opening 12 games of the 2005/06 season.

Seriously we cannot lose the stability we have at the club and turn into Newcastle and have a new manager every 18 months. Its going to take at least 3 transfer windows for Martinez to get his players in and juggle things about to his style. If we do that every 18 months were f*cked arent we cos you never let the manager get to were he needs to be to be judged.

You would think Moyes won everything and stacked our cabinet with trophies. He didnt, he won **** all!

I wont be hanging Roberto from the rafters for finishing top 10 this season and also winning absolutely [Poor language removed] all...I think he will give the cups a better go though

Because when he's had an even playing field at Swansea he produced a very competitive outfit. At this club he's got more of a challenge but he's got the material here, given time, to do the same. Of course if you want the 'winning team' up and ready without him having the time to accomplish it he wont succeed, so I suppose getting behind him and not constantly sniping at him from the sidelines is the best policy for any supporter. Doesn't sound too much of an ask to me, but apparently there's people who wont afford the new man that.

Has he got an "even playing field" at Everton? He has to compete with teams with budgets vastly larger than we have.

As for the highlighted bit - come on - you have about 50k posts most of which are sniping at our previous manager.

Has he got an "even playing field" at Everton? He has to compete with teams with budgets vastly larger than we have.

As for the highlighted bit - come on - you have about 50k posts most of which are sniping at our previous manager.

Let me ask you this, if you think this job might be beyond Martinez, who would you have preferred Everton's new manager to have been?

Good read.

The whole Martinez saga has only shown me just how many utterly clueless fans we have. I thought Evertonians were better than the average football fan, but perhaps not.

We don't know but we're willing to try and give him time and see what happens, he won a f.a cup with so much less then Moyes. He got a lot of potential.

I'm willing to give it a try, none of us have any choice in that matter.

I'm fully accepting that we might drop a few places down the league this year as he tries to change the style of play.

However I also think he has a massive task to match the 60+ points totals we have been used to over the last few years.

And I don't believe of all the managers in the world - as the anti-Moyes types often pointed out on the wages we paid Moyes we could attract any manager - that Martinez was the best possible choice. Nor that Wigan Athletic had 3 or 4 players in their team that would improve us.

Last edited:
I said exactly what that article mentioned on Saturday and got slated by a few people for it.

I think I went along the lines of "players passing in a triangle with the ball ending back up with the first guy who then passes it to Osman who loses it."

Martinez needs to have his team **** this left right backwards forwards left right backwards passing right off immediately. What's the point of playing it in a triangle if the ball ends up with the person who first had it in exactly the same amount of space as when he first released the ball? Also the fannying around on the edge of the box needs to be turned into shots or through balls, lost count over the past two games how often we tried to tip-tap it between players on the 18-yard line only to mis-pass it or have it nicked off of us.

Last edited by a moderator:
Agree with the article.

I was a bit shocked with the tone of the crowd, sensed murmers of booing almost, frustration at the least.

Final whistle went, and people were off, pissed off. That suprised me.

Status
Not open for further replies.