Match Thread Manchester City(1) Vs Everton(2) - Capital One Cup - Semi Final 2nd Leg - Weds 27th Jan - 19:45 KO

Status
Not open for further replies.
No, we haven't at all. But a penalty is not a guaranteed goal is it. It's also subjective.

The ball went over the line, clearly. It was a definite, 100%, situation. A penalty is opinion.
With Howard playing it is pretty much a guaranteed goal ;)
My point is people are saying allowing that goal to stand was deliberate dodgyness from the ref. A penalty could easily have been given for the Stones challenge a few weeks ago, subjective or not, I don't think we could have complained.

Last edited:
I accept that there are probably 3 general views on this....Yours, which is just accept anything no matter how bad it gets (and wear this veiw as a badge of honour)...mine, which is that as a supporter of my club, who follows the Blues all over the place, I deserve better from my club, and would change things to try and put it right....the 3rd veiw is probably something in between

Well you're making my viewpoint sound ridiculous there...

So how about this?

Your view, is that no matter what RM does, you won't be happy, because you will always expect more. Even though we got beat by the best team in the country, at their place, down in a large part down to their £50mil substitute and a terrible referee call, it's actually Martinez' fault that we didn't go there and batter them... but then, you want him to be better at defending, but you slate him when he instructs the team to sit back???
And you wear it like a badge of honour.

There, I can make your view sound ridiculous as well.

My view, is that I want the best for my club. I'm also realistic in that, although we're underachieving, I won't fume because we got beat in a semi final by a £500mil team who needed a major helping hand by a ref incapable of seeing the obvious. That if for another poor piece of officiating, we'd have beat Chelsea the other week, and by that token, could have easily beat Swansea the other day without playing well.

I'm not being ridiculously positive, i'm just refusing to fit in with the doom and gloom attitude. I believe that at this moment in time, in the middle of the season, no manager would come to us (right now) who is a drastic improvement on Martinez.

And also, in your post, you seem to indicate I am in someway 'less of a fan' because of this. Without meaning to get nasty, as at the end of the day we all want the same thing - for Everton to do well, but you can do the proverbial for that.

I accept that there are probably 3 general views on this....Yours, which is just accept anything no matter how bad it gets (and wear this veiw as a badge of honour)...mine, which is that as a supporter of my club, who follows the Blues all over the place, I deserve better from my club, and would change things to try and put it right....the 3rd veiw is probably something inbetween

There would be lots of views inbetween those two.

But I don't think that it is Blue Toff's view. It certainly isn't mine.

My point is people are saying allowing that goal to stand was deliberate dodgyness from the ref. A penalty could easily have been given for the Stones challenge a few weeks ago, subjective or not, I don't think we could have complained.

In fairness lad, Howard had a corker of a game that night didn't he. It should have been a pen, but a pen is not an automatic goal.

No, I don't believe that Atkinson was been deliberately dodgy. I do believe it was a totally inept display from a ref who time and time again has done this to us. Again, it'd be nice for an explanation on a) why he didn't spot the ball had gone out of play (or his official, at least) and b) how come he made up a new rule to somehow award City a throw in when we were about to take one.

Has that been questioned? No.

It's just automatically all on Martinez. I'm sick of the doom and gloom - i'd accept it if it was valid - but we got done by a team that are the best in the country last night, and down in no small part to that decision to allow the crucial goal to stand

There would be lots of views inbetween those two.

But I don't think that it is Blue Toff's view. It certainly isn't mine.

Cheers pal.

I'm not looking for arguments, but when somebody suggests something stupid like that I can't be having it.

If we were playing terribly and losing, then i'd be inclined to agree, maybe.

But we're not. We are playing well, the results aren't showing it, partly down to bad luck and a lot down to our own shortcomings. I've said that all along.

I also believe that this squad can turn it around, under this manager.

In fairness lad, Howard had a corker of a game that night didn't he. It should have been a pen, but a pen is not an automatic goal.

No, I don't believe that Atkinson was been deliberately dodgy. I do believe it was a totally inept display from a ref who time and time again has done this to us. Again, it'd be nice for an explanation on a) why he didn't spot the ball had gone out of play (or his official, at least) and b) how come he made up a new rule to somehow award City a throw in when we were about to take one.

It's just automatically all on Martinez. I'm sick of the doom and gloom - i'd accept it if it was valid - but we got done by a team that are the best in the country last night, and down in no small part to that decision to allow the crucial goal to stand

Yeah, that was a cheap shot :)
I agree it was poor refereeing and I also think we have been more unlucky than most this season when it comes to being on the wrong end of refereeing mistakes. Also if what Jags (?) said Atkinson said after the match is true then the man sounds like he's on one hell of an ego trip and hopefully will be taken down a peg or two by the ref's association.

My own take on last night is City are just a far better team who actually played more to their potential than the first leg, probably cos they had to. Losing to a very average Liverpool side in the final would've stung me a lot more.

Yeah, that was a cheap shot :)
I agree it was poor refereeing and I also think we have been more unlucky than most this season when it comes to being on the wrong end of refereeing mistakes. Also if what Jags (?) said Atkinson said after the match is true then the man sounds like he's on one hell of an ego trip and hopefully will be taken down a peg or two by the ref's association.

My own take on last night is City are just a far better team who actually played more to their potential than the first leg, probably cos they had to. Losing to a very average Liverpool side in the final would've stung me a lot more.

I agree mate. City played well, but the fact is we were more than holding our own until that call from the ref - a terrible decision.

So, based on that, wanting RM out (not saying you do) for not beating them seems stupid to me.

Really?

Howard saved a spot-kick by Stoke City's Marco van Ginkel, after the match had finished goalless, to give Everton a 5-4 win in a penalty shootout in the National Stadium in Singapore. 2015

Tim Howard's penalty save in Everton's 2-0 win against Aston Villa on 26th October 2013.

There was little he could do about goals by Andy Carroll and Luis Suarez which decided the match but perhaps his bizarrely-patterned shirt was enough to put Liverpool penalty-taker Dirk Kuyt off as Howard saved his spot-kick.

TIM Howard became the fourth Premier League goalkeeper to save a penalty over the weekend to deny Tottenham the chance to move into third place. PUBLISHED: 00:00, Mon, Dec 7, 2009

Former MLS 'Keeper, Tim Howard showed why he's the USMNT starter by stopping 3 Penalty Kicks in the 2009 MLS All-Star game.

Really?

Howard saved a spot-kick by Stoke City's Marco van Ginkel, after the match had finished goalless, to give Everton a 5-4 win in a penalty shootout in the National Stadium in Singapore. 2015

Tim Howard's penalty save in Everton's 2-0 win against Aston Villa on 26th October 2013.

There was little he could do about goals by Andy Carroll and Luis Suarez which decided the match but perhaps his bizarrely-patterned shirt was enough to put Liverpool penalty-taker Dirk Kuyt off as Howard saved his spot-kick.

TIM Howard became the fourth Premier League goalkeeper to save a penalty over the weekend to deny Tottenham the chance to move into third place. PUBLISHED: 00:00, Mon, Dec 7, 2009

Former MLS 'Keeper, Tim Howard showed why he's the USMNT starter by stopping 3 Penalty Kicks in the 2009 MLS All-Star game.
Was a joke!

Look at this realistically, City are a top side and one of the favourites for the title (and now for the Capital One Cup) and yet Everton only lost by the odd goal in 7 over the 2 legs, as well as holding them to a goal-less draw in the league game in the meantime. So those people saying there's no hope for us need to have a rethink.

In no small part to a goal that shouldn't have stood, as well.

I agree mate. City played well, but the fact is we were more than holding our own until that call from the ref - a terrible decision.

So, based on that, wanting RM out (not saying you do) for not beating them seems stupid to me.
I voted him 'in' in that thread, looks like I'm in the minority though!
Last night was the low point of the season for me, but I don't feel s bad today as I thought I would. I don't think this season is quite as bad as some are making out.

Look at this realistically, City are a top side and one of the favourites for the title (and now for the Capital One Cup) and yet Everton only lost by the odd goal in 7 over the 2 legs, as well as holding them to a goal-less draw in the league game in the meantime. So those people saying there's no hope for us need to have a rethink.
It's throwing a two goal lead away which gets most people,sort that out and bingo.

Status
Not open for further replies.