Man City v Everton. 6th Dec at 17.30.

Status
Not open for further replies.
After Krasnodar there can be no excuses - assuming that Berto doesn't exercise his world famous logic and deploy our best players for some dubious reason. We have 9 days until the QPR game so it's practically an international break.

We've won all the first matches back from international breaks (WBA, Villa and West Ham) which implies that fatigue would be a factor rather than a reason or excuse, particularly for the dross produced against Spurs and Hull.

Likewise, we've arguably been at our worst immediately after a Europa game. It's quite clear that the older members of our squad do not have the legs for 4 games in 11 days anymore, so with no money and terrible recent luck with injuries we have a choice of either:

1) A magnificent top 6 finish but no trophy and missing out on the Champions League AGAIN to Arsenal or Man Utd, and we can half-heartedly clap another "solid" season after the Spurs game on May 24th. Cue a Sky camera close up on Kenwright with his jowly grimace of a smile and irritating clapping.

2) Finish somewhere between 4th and 17th on innate quality and club pedigree alone, go all out for a trophy we can definitely win if the squad regains its form after Christmas.

Having watched the Wolfsburg game live and in living colour I could see that they'd been given instructions to work at 110%, even if our first half performance wasn't stellar. Hibbert and Distin put in a shift for certain with the latter sustaining a knock right at the end.

The aim was clearly to get something from the green place no matter who had to die, be it a point or three, so that Krasnodar would be a formality. However, it seems to have backfired.

Admittedly, Chelsea, Southampton and (usually) City aside, it's a terrible standard this year and the table doesn't lie so I imagine that was Berto's logic. After all, Spurs had a Europa game and I think everyone just assumed we'd beat Hull regardless, but this isn't 2007.

Tonight we were never going to win with that performance of course, but at Goodison against some yarg team it probably would have been enough.

We won't be the last team to lose there this season and we can at least plod away with some pride, knowing that we basically kept a clean sheet at the champions but for a bung from Uncle Khaldoon...

Mourinho used his post-match interview with Sky Sports to take a swipe at the "brilliant football brain" of Redknapp, who was working as a studio analyst for the broadcaster.

Asked for an insight into his tactics for the match, Mourinho waved away the question, sarcastically replying: "You speak with Jamie Redknapp and he tells you everything about it. It was about winning - you have your pundits and Jamie Redknapp, who is a brilliant football brain, they can explain to you everything."

Read more at http://www.espn.co.uk/football/sport/story/303173.html#1FOisZR7qWd2EWJV.99

He's got Liverpool Football Club sussed has Mourinho

Our midfield is the massive problem, Barkley and Kev aside we lack attacking quality, We don't have a single player who can see a killer pass, The type that Lukaku would thrive on

I've said this about four times now this week...Martinez is continually screaming at the players to pass the ball quicker.

He can scream all he wants but if the players we have don't fit the system he wants to play it's simply not going to work. We seen it last season when we had Deulofeu on loan and he came on and injected genuine pace in to our play. This season we are slow and predictable and by the time we have worked our way up the filed our opponent's have everybody back.

My point is Besic does not cover asmuch ground as McCarthy nor does he draw so much opposing players in his runs like Barkley

Hence both Besic and Barry plays the deep DM role. And when Barry has the luxury of lesser running, he links play pretty ok. But in time to come, I believe Vedic should take up this role

Besic was subbed because he couldn't keep possession, then Barkley came on and Evertons passing to City players got even better.

My point is Besic does not cover asmuch ground as McCarthy nor does he draw so much opposing players in his runs like Barkley

Hence both Besic and Barry plays the deep DM role. And when Barry has the luxury of lesser running, he links play pretty ok. But in time to come, I believe Vedic should take up this role
I'll give you that Besic is better covering for Barry than he is for McCarthy. McCarthy is tough to replace. Think we'll see a fair bit of Besic/McCarthy partnering this year, and looking forward to it develping

The formation and playing style are the problem, He insists on playing non wingers on the wing, He insists on slow methodical build up play which allows teams to re group when we break, He insists in two DM's against bottom halve teams

He's as bad if not worse than Moyes

The cb's are a big problem, they cant bring the ball out and make a forward pass. Things will change when stones is back.

Our midfield is the massive problem, Barkley and Kev aside we lack attacking quality, We don't have a single player who can see a killer pass, The type that Lukaku would thrive on
I agree with that, today (according to stats) Barkley got 3 key passes, Eto'o one and the only one in the first half came by Besic and that wasn't even a clear chance.

Yeah I don't see why not, it would be the biggest job of his career and the best squad he has had to work with, pound for pound he was the league best manager last season, of course the football snobs would prefer what we have been served up this season simply because of number like 63% and 59%
It's a lot easier to take a club from 35 to 50 points than it is to take one from 72 to 75-80 while also having the added pressure of European fixtures. Do you even remember Pulis' Stoke side? People on here moaned about Moyes'anti-football tendencies, what do you think he offers???

I'm getting absolutely fed up with all the second guessing going on here. Just because so many other teams bin off their managers after 3 bad results on the spin doesn't mean we're going to.

We've lost away to the defending champions where the ref basically handed them the 3 points. FFS wind your necks in.

The cb's are a big problem, they cant bring the ball out and make a forward pass. Things will change when stones is back.

CB's don't create goal scoring chances, We had one proper shot on goal in 95 mins today, Our attacking options in the middle of the park are shocking

He can scream all he wants but if the players we have don't fit the system he wants to play it's simply not going to work. We seen it last season when we had Deulofeu on loan and he came on and injected genuine pace in to our play. This season we are slow and predictable and by the time we have worked our way up the filed our opponent's have everybody back.

We scored two brilliant breakaway, counter-attacking goals in Wolfsburg. I am totally baffled by our inability to even try anything like this in the League - is this natural caution or team orders?

Status
Not open for further replies.