Match Thread Luton Town v Everton - Chat, Match Report & MotM Poll

Everton Man of the Match

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Very interesting to see if , as many on here speculated , a Dyche team will play with more flair and freedom now that there is no pressure.

I strongly suspect not. IMO Dyche can only play one way.

Obviously I want us to win the quadruple next season and go on to dominate Europe thereafter, but given the reality that we may face another relegation dogfight next season, who would we rather be up against: Forest or Luton? For me, Luton are the weaker side. Now obviously I want us to win this game 5-0, but in the event that we lose the game I will be rooting for Forest to go down and taking some comfort from that.
I want Burnley to stay up because we've played them 3 times this season and beat them 3 times... and there wasn't really any squeaky bum time in any of those games.

Very interesting to see if , as many on here speculated , a Dyche team will play with more flair and freedom now that there is no pressure.

Not expecting that but the likes of the brentford game and liverpool. Was a team showing a better shape and was going for it, having shots outside the box ect quicket passing. Not expecting a massive change but we could see improvement

Was confused why this would be a TV game, but Sky have penned it as the game that relegates us potentially, ignoring context and that it literally cannot.

TV ads for it here are literally for "the game that can relegate Everton", and they usually parrot what Sky says for the promos lol

Smash them just for this ffs, they're all rats

If we beat Luton, wouldnt it be wild if Burnley beat Forest on the last day and stay up?
No Burnley are a shower of Bells, Them and Leeds calling for us to be investigated after being told there was no case has us in the current points deduction mess, and then were talking about suing us.. I hope they go down and never come back. Grasses..

I’m really looking forward to seeing this, on holiday for the palace but followed it online, the Bournemouth game was a nightmare , remember sitting on a barrier at the corner of Bullens and Gwladys st. Mentally and Physically spent. Obviously I want us to win but you know that, I don’t care I’m going to have a couple of beers and watch the game with zero anxiety

Was confused why this would be a TV game, but Sky have penned it as the game that relegates us potentially, ignoring context and that it literally cannot.

TV ads for it here are literally for "the game that can relegate Everton", and they usually parrot what Sky says for the promos lol

Smash them just for this ffs, they're all rats
They picked it before we were safe, which is understandable.

It's absolutely hilarious though that we've given them two fingers.

I think the performance against Liverpool disproved your suspicions surely!
I loved the win against the RS. The performance was blood and guts. Much to be admired about that but we really didn't play much "football".

I understand the argument that this group of players are incapable of playing with flair and finesse and don't necessarily disagree ( although I think that they are marginally better than that especially in midfield) but my point in Dyche can only play one way.

With our financial situation impacting on who we can bring in that pragmatic approach is probably the best bet for keeping us in the PL but it ain't pretty.

I loved the win against the RS. The performance was blood and guts. Much to be admired about that but we really didn't play much "football".

I understand the argument that this group of players are incapable of playing with flair and finesse and don't necessarily disagree ( although I think that they are marginally better than that especially in midfield) but my point in Dyche can only play one way.

With our financial situation impacting on who we can bring in that pragmatic approach is probably the best bet for keeping us in the PL but it ain't pretty.

Indeed. So perhaps it's unfair for us to moan at the manager for not trying to play expansive, high press, quick football.

You expect a manager in any walk of like to manage the resources they have.

I agree he hasn't shown "flair and finesse" it in his history in the Prem (his team were completely different when pissing the Championship as top goalscorers), but like with Burnley when he averaged £9m net spend per season for 7 years, he's setup to contain to stay in the league.

Can he progress from that? We'll only know when he has time and opportunity to recruit. If he can't, he won't last but for now, and next season - contain/pragmatism wins the day.

Now we're safe I do think we'll see us a little more higher up the pitch now though - not to Chelsea levels hopefully as it demonstrated as clear as day it's a stupid thing to do given our lack of pace - but that was evident at Brentford. I mean, we had full backs in their final third for one!