Looking ominous

Status
Not open for further replies.

Woodside

Player Valuation: Free Transfer
With the window about to close is anyone worried? Our priorities should be 2 new central defenders. A creative midfielder and a good centre forward to play alongside Tosuin or instead of Yet we have spent millions on another winger without giving Lookman a chance and a fullback who is not desperately needed. No sign of any of these.Whats going on?

A full back who is not desperately needed? We had Martina covering while Baines was injured...who is also past it.

With the window about to close is anyone worried? Our priorities should be 2 new central defenders. A creative midfielder and a good centre forward to play alongside Tosuin or instead of Yet we have spent millions on another winger without giving Lookman a chance and a fullback who is not desperately needed. No sign of any of these.Whats going on?
Agree that the centre back situation is an extremely pressing matter and the fact we are leaving it this late is concerning.

Don't agree that Digne wasn't needed.
I was sat in the Paddock yesterday and could see up close in that first half just how slow Baines is now.

Watching him struggle get back into position was painful tbh.
He still has a role to play, sure. But we needed someone who could come in and slot into that position.

But yeah, CB's asap please!

1533493121396.jpeg

I think that the LB and AML were both positions in dire need of new players. Digne will easily replace Baines (great servant, but is showing age catches everyone), and Richarlison has already made the AML his own. Lookman looks a good sub, but I'm not sure if he can start week in-week-out yet... and he has apparently asked to leave...

CB's are desperately needed, Silva's been trying to get Mina for weeks. I agree he should have tried someone else. But persistance with Digne paid off... maybe it will with this one too.

I think a lot of fans forget that Silva only really knew what he needed about 2-3 weeks ago. The ATV Irdning friendly showed him nothing, so his first competitive friendly was against Bury on 18/07.

Just because we have other issues doesn't mean the left back and wing positions didn't need to be addressed. I think that's a case of undervaluing the problem because they've been sorted already.

Baines last year showed visible signs of being nearly finished, if not already finished. He has another season in him perhaps but we needed a top quality operator in now just in case it takes the new signing a season to bed in.

As for Richarlison, he was very obviously needed. We had a frightening lack of quality and pace - and indeed we still do. Indeed, if Lookman goes we actually need another winger in, because we have two in Richarlison and Walcott and absolutely nothing in reserve. I don't class Bolasie as a footballer at this stage so he doesn't count.

Your assessed priorities are spot on - we need a CM who can pick a pass forward and isn't afraid to get forward to link up (basically someone to replace the abysmal Schneiderlin and play alongside Gana, whose best work is in the Kante role deep), at least one centre-half, preferably two, and a striker - not necessarily a superstar one but one who will compete earnestly with Tosun instead of being obvious benchwarmers like Niasse and DCL.

I think we'll get three in before the deadline. In a perfect world, that'd be N'Zonzi, Alderweireld and Batshuayi, with a cheeky late capture of Lozano. In real life, we won't get anything like those players of course but they should be the types of player we're aiming for.

Not sure about us signing anyone at CB now. There are no quality defenders around and everyone is chasing shadows. I am more worried that we spend a fortune on inflated garbage. Mina was being touted at 20m euros before the world cup, now they have nearly doubled that.People can smell our desperation.

Status
Not open for further replies.