2023/24 Kevin Thelwell

….i admit to not rating Thelwell so declare a bias but he looked like he’d swallowed a wasp during the ‘celebration lap’ yesterday. Maybe his hours of engagement with 777 are coming undone or maybe he knows he’s leaving the club in a few weeks, surely the club know if he’s going to be here to manage transfers this summer.

Maybe his statement is his way of trying to get clubs to give us fair valuations for players that we are in for, rather than wasting time trying to fleece us.

Clutching at straws, but trying to give Kev tbe benefit of the doubt.

Only just read his statement - so we are definitely selling then.

Hopefully him and Sean are thinking about what keeps us in the PL next season - because the only reasons we survived this one were players like Branthwaite and Pickford.

We're in a fortunate position of having players to sell who people want to buy, which hasn't always been the case. This is going to be an interesting summer, given the lack of January activity. If we sell all of our "crown jewels" we may be able to buy players for a reasonable price from the likes of Brentford and Wolves, even Villa, as they've all battling PSR. Personally I'd rather we just sold Onana and tried to get shut of the likes of Keane and Holgate, but not sure if that's going to bring enough money in

let’s see who wins the battle for players

He wants players that be developed and sold on for a profit

Dyche wants more battle ready player, more so next year with the outgoings
Good points this mate... definitely going to be interesting to see what profile of player we bring in. I actually think it might be a case of needs must next season,and we go for what Dyche thinks he needs.

We're in a fortunate position of having players to sell who people want to buy, which hasn't always been the case. This is going to be an interesting summer, given the lack of January activity. If we sell all of our "crown jewels" we may be able to buy players for a reasonable price from the likes of Brentford and Wolves, even Villa, as they've all battling PSR. Personally I'd rather we just sold Onana and tried to get shut of the likes of Keane and Holgate, but not sure if that's going to bring enough money in
I worry that the situation is just as bad as being rumoured and it’ll be a fire sale…Branthwaite, Onana, Pickford and DCL will all be sold I reckon…

Replacing them on our budget will be next to impossible…and that’s without thinking of the obvious gaps in the squad that need upgrading.

I think young will be given another year as a body (albeit ageing…) that covers three positions. Rumours of gana moving on but again a player I’d keep…showed his worth at the back end of the season.

Be interesting to see the makeup of midfield next season. Argument to be made if you sell Onana that you could potentially cover his output with a cheaper option for a season…I’d be spending any money we have on a replacement for Branthwaite as Keane and Godfrey are nowhere near the standard required.

I’d really love to see a replacement/alternative for doucoure - he has some uses but such an important position that we could do with a little bit of technical quality in there.

There will be a lot of plugging holes this summer…got to hope thelwell can provide dyche with a functioning squad as he’s proved he can get us comfortably safe if he has one.

Would seem weird to make that statement and leave the club.

To his credit - he seemed to get a good price for Gordon at the time.

I think Thelwell gets a massively unfair shake of the stick on here, particularly given nobody knows what goes on behind the scenes, the utter chaos he's had to deal with since he's been here and the fact that everyone only seems to be able to judge his performance as a Director of Football based on who we sell and who we buy.

That said, we know that Moshiri took sole control of the Gordon negotiations, so Thelwell doesn't really get any credit or negatives for this one.

I think Thelwell gets a massively unfair shake of the stick on here, particularly given nobody knows what goes on behind the scenes, the utter chaos he's had to deal with since he's been here and the fact that everyone only seems to be able to judge his performance as a Director of Football based on who we sell and who we buy.

That said, we know that Moshiri took sole control of the Gordon negotiations, so Thelwell doesn't really get any credit or negatives for this one.

We do ? How do we know that ?

But yeah, I have sympathy for him and Dyche - can't help feeling they are running the football side of the club on their own.

Think Thelwell gets a bit of a rough ride to be honest, think he has done fairly well, Maupay aside and even then there were board driven circumstances that mean its not fair to put entirely on him.

And regarding his statement, we all cry foul when he/Everton say nothing about transfer window and what we can and cant do, shout to the roof about communication with the fan base and managing expectations, then when he does exactly that we cry that he is putting our transfer strategy out to the world and weakening our hand. Guys damned either way.

How much do we need to avoid violation again?

Onana 50m
Maupet 8m
Keane 8m
Holgate 5m

Surely we can fill up the pit without selling Pickford, DCL and Branthwaite.

….i’d not be certain Keane and Holgate would be willing to give up mega-bucks contracts and even if they were I doubt we’d get that much for either.
Agreed. More likely that we need to make them a payment to leave to reduce their loss in wages. In which case, any sale will likely be net neutral.