judge us at the end of the transfer window – not now

Status
Not open for further replies.
We still have our number one striker to return from the bench … we have just bought a proven striker … we have other goal scorers in the squad …. Yes another would be great but it’s not the doom and gloom being touted
I’m worried Dom will come back mentally and physically weaker not convinced he’s going to be the player we thought he would be.

I suspect that will be our Achilles heel. If ever a manager needed Dominic Calvert-Lewin to be fit, it is Lampard. He'll need to decide tomorrow if he thinks he can make a fist of things without another striker, because he will be judged from here on. It's no good saying he was holed under the bough by Thelwell and staying on resentfully. If he doesn't think he's been backed, he needs to go. If he stays, he needs results. Anyway, he had his chance to cash in on Gordon and made a stance against it. I don't think that was wise, but the club have him over a barrel now. "We could have strengthened if you'd only have sanctioned the sale."

November is looking turbulent.

For a team who struggle for goals, it’d be crazy to sell the only player who is scoring for us at the moment.

We got £60m for Richarlison - we didn’t need to sell Gordon as well to replace Richarlison.

Gordon is proving his worth as a winger and I am glad he is staying. But the absence of a proper striker may prove critical to our chances of avoiding another relegation struggle. Appalling planning by those in charge. Frank will still carry the can if we do have to battle near the bottom.

For a team who struggle for goals, it’d be crazy to sell the only player who is scoring for us at the moment.

We got £60m for Richarlison - we didn’t need to sell Gordon as well to replace Richarlison.
I don't think we were ever going to "replace" Richarlison. He was sold for FFP reasons. Everything afterwards was going to be smaller beer. That's where the potential sale of Gordon could have provided opportunities to strengthen the overall side. Gordon had four goals last season. He has started this season well with two, but anything approaching 50m for him could very well have given different options to a manager who might have felt he needed them. Clearly, he decided he didn't, as the club did buy Maupay. So, it is what it is. My view is Frank is in charge now and he needs to get on with it.

Looks like that is it folks.

I would give the window a 6. We have left ourselves light 2 attacking players.

In defense Coady and Tarks strengthen us and add leadership. Worth noting Patterson is effectively a new player and looks set for an extended run.

In midfield Gana comes into the team and I expect Onana will become a key player as the season develops. Worth noting Iwobi has taken a big step forward. A midfield comprising of those 3 looks pretty good on paper.

The attack is very disappointing. McNeil looks nothing more than a squad player to me. Gray is pretty average. We have to hope this is more than just a purple patch for Gordon. I like Maupay as a squad player but when your main man is a perma crock like DCL it all looks a bit fragile

The league is so competitive this year and we are going to have trouble scoring goals. However, we are better positioned to grind out results than last year. It is going to be another long painful season

Gordon is proving his worth as a winger and I am glad he is staying. But the absence of a proper striker may prove critical to our chances of avoiding another relegation struggle. Appalling planning by those in charge. Frank will still carry the can if we do have to battle near the bottom.
No he won't, Frank is safe as safe can be

Looking like 4/10 for me

The crucial business was replacing Richarlison and we failed miserably. We did even worse than I feared
Maupay was for Richie.. technical, winding up ratter, doing most his work off the left…it the lack of cover up top I’m worried about.
Maupay cannot win balls that Dcl does.

6/10

Each bit of business individually, bar McNeil (so far), is logical and improves us.

But we've not come close to adding that quality or composure or creativity in the final third that was desperately needed.

Defensive transfers : 8/10
Midfield transfers : 9/10
Forward transfers : 2/10

Honestly look so, so much better in midfield and defence with more options than ever. A great mix of youth and experience too.

But what on earth has happened up top? Even if we had kept Richy we could have done with another striker but to lose him and only sign Maupay is reckless. If DCL can’t stay fit then we might be in for another horrid season. Surely there was a loan to be done somewhere? Can’t be hard to get a player better than Rondon.

Status
Not open for further replies.