John Stones

Status
Not open for further replies.
He's a wonderful centre half at the moment, just needs experience and he will get some as we are playing more games this season and no doubt someone will get injured. Thought he wasn't too bad at right back on the weekend but in the middle is his position.

Same as any young lid there will be ups and downs. But them ups are going to be ace.
You know when you actually post your serious opinion you are a very good poster.

Once upon a time Hibbert was deployed at CB, against City IIRC, Moyes and Tone were written off faster than the current quiff craze has taken, yet Hibbert proved Moyes right and kept Silva quiet all night, I heard he even had his car keys at the East lands end.
If Stones can learn the dexterity to be near as amazing mopping up the right flank and he clearly is going to be choking the CB areas then we'll have a new Corinthians on our hands.

That aint no easy saying, such composure and steadfast temperament in a lad so young holding his own with ten fold established players is such a rarity that I think the last era we saw of that might have been across the park. £3 million (when its paid fully), its starting to look comparrible to the pennies and lint paid for Coleman.

You're right, he's very composed on the ball. However, with us hoping for top 4 this season, I'd swap him for Dave Watson in his peak.

As much as I want top 4 I don't see it as a realistic target with the squad we have.... Lukaku can't perform 9/10 every week and we don't score enough goals from midfield to make up for not having a second option up front.... I am so pleased to have got rom bit it took our whole budget ( I think) to get him. Our goal should be to be a top 3 team in 3 years IMO... Buy buying players like stones and playing them now , a couple of decent signings every season could see that goal achieved....

Bit tricky for RM at the moment you would imagine.....

Stones - Great potential, already very good at times, also prone to a mistake thru inexperience.

Distin - A rock for years, part of a defence that's always in the top 3 for goals conceded but 36 and could potentially be due decline at any point.

I think at this point I'd use stones like last year. Cover/rotation. Will see plenty of games still.

Bit tricky for RM at the moment you would imagine.....

Stones - Great potential, already very good at times, also prone to a mistake thru inexperience.

Distin - A rock for years, part of a defence that's always in the top 3 for goals conceded but 36 and could potentially be due decline at any point.

I think at this point I'd use stones like last year. Cover/rotation. Will see plenty of games still.

I'm the opposite, I say make Stones and Jags the partnership and phase Distin out by making him cover/rotation over the next 2 years.

Not to say I don't think Distin is great, but we have alot more to gain in doing it this way.

We know Stones is a great CB as is, without the buckets of potential he still has to show, which he gets to develop as being first choice.

what about Antolin? I don't think he is good enough overall and I get the feeling he will be the main defender in European games

I think this is Distin's last season at the top. As strike forces get faster he will get slower, Stones is good but is he ready to be permanent. Jagielka is prone to mistakes sometimes too
I hope my premonition is wrong but I can see us conceding on average 2 goals a game

You don't gain knowledge, experience and know how by sitting on the bench getting splinters in ya backside.

Stones needs to play, will get better with every game he plays and we'll reap the benefit of that.

I don't agree that playing him "will cost us a top 4 place", I don't think playing Jags and Distin will get us top 4 either.

Shaking my head here at the 'just throw him in the deep end and let him get on with it' approach to Stones.

I suspect if Martinez had his way and there was a league division to put the 'reserves' in for game experience, and we had enough money to bring in an established quality centre back, Stones would be playing in that league this season.

I'm glad Martinez had the foresight on this occasion to do 'a Moyes' this summer by bringing in a player like Besic. He's a utility player and can help us out CB wise when the time comes. We need Stones long term. It's vital though that he learns and develops in a measured way. Calling him a CB at the moment - let alone our best CB - is completely bizarre. His defensive grasp of that position is lacking, to say the least.

Stones is very mature for a player his age and I think he'll really bloom into a great player

We should be wary of putting too much pressure on him though

I honestly think Stones and Duffy could one day be an excellent CB pairing. They both have different qualities that compliment each other well. This is the season where both of them can start getting a few more games. That being said, our first choice CB pairing should still be Jags and Distin IMO

Shaking my head here at the 'just throw him in the deep end and let him get on with it' approach to Stones.

I suspect if Martinez had his way and there was a league division to put the 'reserves' in for game experience, and we had enough money to bring in an established quality centre back, Stones would be playing in that league this season.

I'm glad Martinez had the foresight on this occasion to do 'a Moyes' this summer by bringing in a player like Besic. He's a utility player and can help us out CB wise when the time comes. We need Stones long term. It's vital though that he learns and develops in a measured way. Calling him a CB at the moment - let alone our best CB - is completely bizarre. His defensive grasp of that position is lacking, to say the least.

I don't completely disagree, as he is definitely raw and nowhere near the finished product. However, the kid played at centre back for us throughout a 7 match winning streak, keeping 4 clean sheets and only conceding 4. To say that he's not a centre back at the moment fails to give him the credit he deserves for his performances in that position thus far.

I don't completely disagree, as he is definitely raw and nowhere near the finished product. However, the kid played at centre back for us throughout a 7 match winning streak, keeping 4 clean sheets and only conceding 4. To say that he's not a centre back at the moment fails to give him the credit he deserves for his performances in that position thus far.

Agreed

He's played very well at times

I think he should certainly play more this season than he did last season

Not massively more, just slightly more

He did well last year for one so young and I think Martinez will understand how much he should play him. He seems to have a good eye for that with younger players

Status
Not open for further replies.