Joao Silva- Leaves

Status
Not open for further replies.
He has a cool name but will we ever see him play?

Sadly not, he will be due to start the April 7th game against Norwich after all the rest of our forwards die of bubonic plague but unfortunately that game will be cancelled due to the "First Washing Machine War."

He will however go on to a score hat trick against Arsenal for Bosch in the Europa.

Joao Silva is the Portuguese John Smith.

Bit of a boring name to them.

So I reckon anyway.

Queue the inevitable "he'll be like a new signing" quotes from you know where!

headbanging.gif

When he first signed I did the silly thing of saying that he might make it a bit a good'un for us.

I still have the faith in him, especially with what Manx toffee has just said. He has all the rights signs, he just needs to make the step up.

I think he needs to get a couple games under his belt or at the very least he should be loaned out to an english side. I have high hopes for Silva, Magaye, and Vellios. I hope that this season they will be able to make an impact on the senior squad. I guess the only good thing about a few or no transfers is that there is a greater chance of Silva getting some first team action :/

Exclusive interview: Joao Silva patiently waiting for his big break said:
Joao Silva U21 striker does not rule out move to Portugal
Joao Silva is a rarity in Portuguese football. A direct no-nonsense striker with an unfussy style when the opposition net is within his sights.

Despite being on the wrong end of a 3-0 defeat to Sporting yesterday, Silva had one shot headed off the line, forced Rui Patricio into a flying save and was unlucky to lose his footing after engineering a clear opening for himself.

In short, Silva displayed the talent that has been in evidence in Portugal on loan periods at Uniao de Leiria and Vitoria Setubal this calendar year, not to mention his magnificent debut season at Desportivo das Aves. The same talent that has convinced many he is the future of the Portugal national team. PortuGOAL caught up with Silva after yesterday's match.

What are your ambitions at Vitoria this season?
"I arrived at Vitoria with the ambition of helping the club and scoring as many goals as possible. The season started well, I managed to score two goals in the first two games, the team's been playing well. Today it was difficult, playing against a team that is growing. It was difficult to get points here and unfortunately we didn't. Now we have to work hard to make sure we're ready for the next game at home against Rio Ave, which we have to win.

"I know I've got a season ahead of me in the Portuguese top flight to play well and score goals. I'm sure that everyone at Everton is alive to my performances, and that's important for me. When I left Everton we reached an agreement because I'm a young player but I need to play. I need to get my match rhythm, I need to gain maturity, and without playing that's difficult, so we agreed that going out on loan would be a good option. Now I hope things go well for me and that David Moyes is attentive so that one day I am called again and I get my opportunity, which I haven't had yet.

If a big club in Portugal came in for you, would you be interested in a move?
"Of course, if a big club in Portugal came in for me, it would be an option to consider, and I'd have to see who offered the best conditions and then think about it. Everton are a big club, but I need opportunities and a club that has confidence in me and gives me opportunities."

You are frequently seen as a great future hope for the Seleccao. Does this put added pressure on you or do you look at it as extra motivation?
"Given that there are few Portuguese strikers - or at least they say there are few - it's a big ambition of mine and I put all my effort into trying to show my qualities to those in charge at the Portuguese Football Federation so that one day I can have my chance. I know it's very difficult, the bar is very high at that level and it calls for a lot of hard work. I've been called up for the U21s and I want to continue being called up for the U21s, so I can show what I can do at that level and one day be called up into the senior team."
via Portugoal

Status
Not open for further replies.