Jack rodwell

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think its a case of that bobby can get the best out of him.

I think it's more a case of the lad had potential but through injuries, no settled posistion, then ultimately a bad career move he's never had the chance to show where that potential can take him.

A Jack Rodwell playing week in week out in a fixed posistion with no disruption through injuries COULD of been on the way to a WC now. He could of also been nowhere near that plane and playing for QPR...

I remember him being lionised before his sale, much like Barkley is now, and Moyes criticised for selling him.

He was a gem for England and stood out as a man amongst boys in the youth teams rather like Barkley did. In his early days in the first team he was great and then coveted by other clubs especially round the time of the great goal he scored v Utd at Goodison. However Im cautious about him coming back. He is very injury prone and also the Everton he left is certainly not the Everton he would be coming back to. The question is whether a fairly large fee (for us!) would justify taking the chance on him taking on the challenge. Id have to leave that one to Roberto....not so sure myself.

I like Rodwell and I don't think he's been injured as much this season just totally out of favour. If we sign him the fee has to be appearance based and it needs to be decided what his best position is. My thoughts is a ball playing centre back and he could play left sided as he is equally comfortable with either foot.

Was going to ask that question, anyone know if he's had injury problems this year, or been fit but just not fancied?

Difficult to tell.

I like Rodwell and I don't think he's been injured as much this season just totally out of favour. If we sign him the fee has to be appearance based and it needs to be decided what his best position is. My thoughts is a ball playing centre back and he could play left sided as he is equally comfortable with either foot.

Was going to post similar. Reports suggest he hasn't been injured for the majority of the last 12 months - just behind Toure, Fernandinho, Garcia and (somewhat worryingly) the grock of a centre back who got picked as a holding midfielder ahead of him.

If he can stay fit then he's got all the physical attributes needed. Martinez would have to sort him out mentally though as even when he was having his best periods for us he seemed to 'hide' at times rather than always wanting to be available for a pass and looking to make things happen. No reason this can't happen though.

Going against the general consensus here but I’d be glad to have him back, hopefully at a low price after 2 years of stagnation for City.

Jack for me was natural talent stifled by Moyes tactics, regularly played out of position and generally ruined in terms of confidence. Bobby we know works the player’s heads fantastically building confidence and giving them freedom to play.

Whilst I understand the comments on City couldn’t get him fit I really believe the best way to maintain your fitness is to play regularly. That was never going to happen at City.

Was told at the time of him leaving he cried when he was told he was being sold and that basically Moyes used him to raise cash. May or may not be true but I personally don’t think he wanted to leave and was basically a pawn to be played Moyes for transfer funds.

When Jack played well and confidently he glided across the field, Moyes rigidity in positioning completely stifled that part of his game. Bobby likes players to play neat one touch football and retain the ball, all of which would suit Jack to a tee in my opinion.

Remember Ross with Moyes, confidence lost afraid to make a mistake and dropped as soon as he did or worse in case he did!!

Getting Jack back on loan with a low fee agreed would make the most sense as it allows us time to get him truly adjusted back to the School of Science whilst ensuring that we don’t commit the funds before we know he can be fixed physically and mentally.

A fully fit and confident Jack Rodwell would be worth a lot of money in any market going forwards and if anyone can get him there it’s Bobby.

In his last season with us (before his hamstrings let him down) I thought he was growing in confidence with every game. He wasn't spectacular but he kept the ball very well. I remember he consistently had our highest pass completion at the time. With a run of games in DM and a bit more confidence injected into him I think he could be a good signing for us at the right price (injuries permitting!)

Was going to post similar. Reports suggest he hasn't been injured for the majority of the last 12 months - just behind Toure, Fernandinho, Garcia and (somewhat worryingly) the grock of a centre back who got picked as a holding midfielder ahead of him.

If he can stay fit then he's got all the physical attributes needed. Martinez would have to sort him out mentally though as even when he was having his best periods for us he seemed to 'hide' at times rather than always wanting to be available for a pass and looking to make things happen. No reason this can't happen though.

Heard that so many times. Never saw much evidence of it.

Besides, isn't fitness the key element of a footballer's physical attributes? I wouldn't class his cheesestring hamstrings as a desirable physical attribute.

and also, but what is his true / best position
It should have been centre half, but by all accounts he didn't have the nous to play it. I know Moyes only gave him one wretched pre-season friendly against like Bury, but he did look awful and neither City or nor England U21s have played him in defence.

I would bid £2.8m and no more. But is it even true that Martinez wanted him back on loan, or just paper talk? Like the Fernando thing, that we went in for a work permit. You never know what's true.

Martinez likes Rodwell so don't be surprised to see him at us in some sort of deal. He definitely wanted him on loan in January but Barry wouldn't sign on permanently when offered a deal.

And the bid for Fernando was real aswell. Bobby thought we had Felli sold very early on on the final day of the window and put a deal in place for Fernando and went for a work permit but United dragged there heels over the fee and the sale of Fellaini happened very last minute and the Fernando deal didn't happen and then we turned to signing Barry along with McCarthy instead.

Status
Not open for further replies.