Is Lukaku a centre forward?

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is sort of the point I was making about Lukaku prior to him signing. He is a mediocre target man so latching him on to a centre half and bouncing passes off his shin over and over again wouldn't be the right call.

But he's obviously a striker. It's not where he plays which is the issue; it's the how the approach play gets the ball into his area that is. We need to be playing angled balls into channels for him to run on to and stretch a defence, and we need to be getting the ball quickly into wide areas and in behind the defence for him to attack.

Lukaku suits a counter attacking system that takes advantage of quick play when a side is retreating, as he exploits space with his powerful running on and off the ball. In such a system, he's a fairly guaranteed 15 goal a season striker.

But the only lingering concern about him is when we're not setting up to counter; when we're dominating games and pushing teams back. He needs to learn how to take a ball to feet softly and bring others into play in tight areas more often than he currently does, and also learn how to gain the half yard quickly in congested penalty areas to be a truly world class striker.

We've paid the money in the hope this is true. In the meantime, I think we'll see more of the same next season - a guy who scores important goals when the opposition come out of their shell and attack us, but can go missing when we're playing the smaller team who stay in their shell for 60-70 minutes.

He's a centre forward for sure! Players like Mirallas, Barkley et al should just learn to pass him faster.
And in the meantime he should develop his first touch and his hold up skill.

Can you imagine what a beast he'll be if he also masters those two things?
I think he has already shown at times that he can do those things. Its 'just that he first needs to score to have enough confidence to do it.

I much prefer him facing the goal than with his back to it ! but he's as brave and as powerful as they come and he loves scoring goals ! he doesnt wimp out and isnt scared of the physical side ! plus if anyone can learn as a footballer its this lad seems a real bright fella !

i) Lots of players cost loads of money, regardless of position

ii) Fair enough, though I think he's better playing behind Naismith than vice versa

iii)How so?

i) yeah but for us to pay 28M, that's like a really monied team paying 100M+ at those sorts of levels for both Us and the moneybags it has to be a success, especially for a player in a specialized one off postion. eg striker goalscorer centre forward call him what you will.
My original ii) still stands, IMO, in light of i) above
iii) he is the main man the centre forward in old money, the striker, the man most likely to score goals given that is the aim of the game and his position on the field will enable him to have the best crack at doing it, so, for most given values of centre forward or No9 etc that's what he is, so a redundant-ish question.
Does Rom need a target man or some other sort of 'foil' to play off might be better. To which I would answer, he is not the best with his back to the goal, he needs somebody to give him something to run on to.

clearer now?

Because we cant have an opinion on a 29 year old footballer who was clearly rubbish before signing and became even worse after signing.

If everton signed titus bramble and he had a few terrible games (true to form) would you say the same thing?

Why don't we give Kone a few games and a few more minutes than the 2 you're assessing him on before writing him off as a goalscorer for our team. Barely had a kick for us and has been ripped apart since his arrival. Madness.

Status
Not open for further replies.