Howard

Status
Not open for further replies.
The common being the standard "he does not command his area enough." Every teams goalkeeper has that said about him in this league by their own fans funnily enough. I know why it is said, but I wont say why I think it is!

I know as well, but as a fellow mason let's keep that quiet.

Now I have just seen it on a full screen I think he could have been more decisive in this situation. He was not the sole reason we lost 2 points yesterday like some are saying.

Theres lots of things said in here that are just ridiculous. The common being the standard "he does not command his area enough." Every teams goalkeeper has that said about him in this league by their own fans funnily enough. I know why it is said, but I wont say why I think it is!

I think big dominant keepers of the Schmeichel ilk are what most fans would like to see. The way the balls are made might mean that those types of keepers are a dying breed as shot stoppers like Howard take over. But that type of goalie has certain things about them that will always be needed.

I've played with some brilliant keepers and all were brilliant communicators, all made it clear that when the ball came into a certain area it would be thiers regardless of who was in that area and all were brave. I see the same traits in all the top Keepers who are also outstanding in other areas which Howard is.

He doesn't have them traits and after sitting behind him for years I can tell you he's an awful communicator too. It's obvious the CB's don't trust him and he never does the same thing twice in a situation. One time he'll come steaming out for a cross floating across the six yard line, next time he'll stand on his line.

He's also massively erratic in coming off his line when a ball is played through. All this leads to CB's not knowing whether they're coming or going and mistakes happening, as we've seen all this season and last.

Thats my reasons for saying he doesn't command his area.

Have to say that was poor from T Dog yesterday- I have seen reasons for most of the other goals, even the star fish as it was pretty close to him, but where Bassong actually headed the ball yesterday was criminal- he should have ploughed through anything in his way to get that ball clear not allow a header that close and actually be behind the line- poor.

I've stood by him because I think hes a solid keeper- does what he has to and is a solid shot stopper. Hes only 33 and maybe if we had a decent back up he would raise his game.

Maybe its time we moved for a young keeper that can push him- Jack Butland or Frankie Fielding?

Status
Not open for further replies.