Howard

Status
Not open for further replies.
He's started well. I give him stick so I have to give him a bit of credit too.

He's been getting the ball to the FB and CB's quickly this season. I used to give him loads as being a terrible hoof merchant under Moyles. I always assumed it was his nervous disposition that made him always hoof it long. It appears that was a Moyes tactic.

It was a Moyes tactic as he hasn't been doing that with the US since Klinsmann took over two years ago.

One thing on WC Qualifiers: The 4th place in CONCAF plays off against us, New Zealand, which apparently is an easier game for New Zealand and an easier way to get to the World Cup than playing off against a Middle East team. If the 4th place team in the American area is the underdog to New Zealand and we fancy our chances, well, that doesn't say a hell of a lot about the 4th placed team, because we are pants at footy.

Maybe it's biased reporting, but we get the other view over here. CONCACAF #4 vs New Zealand is seen as consolation entry to WC despite playing poorly in the Hex. Granted, El Tri has been horrible and if New Zealand have any chance, it's against an out of form Mexico.

Can someone explain to me why there is a large divide in supporters that think Howard is good, and those that think Howard is total crap? I'm just curious if I've missed something.

He's been stellar for the USMNT, and I know he's had a few hiccups here and there (a good one last week, luckily Barry bailed him out) but is generally consistent no?

He is maybe consistent in his saves, but he is awful all around keeper - poor regarding dealing with crosses, doesn't command the box at all, doesn't pass well (kicking and throwing), etc...

He's just a taller and slightly better version of Shay Given, which isn't compliment in my book, as I for years considered Given to be ultra gash and very overrated keeper at the same time.

Last edited:
Can someone explain to me why there is a large divide in supporters that think Howard is good, and those that think Howard is total crap? I'm just curious if I've missed something.

He's been stellar for the USMNT, and I know he's had a few hiccups here and there (a good one last week, luckily Barry bailed him out) but is generally consistent no?

The bar, for this position particularly, is incredibly high. Most Evertonians grew up with the best of the best, and those that didn't certainly know about his legacy. There's no room for hiccups.

But wouldn't you say that if he was a great goaltender and didn't have random hiccups, it's only a matter of time before we lost him to one of the bigger teams for money? I'd think Howard has been just good enough to stay with the team, but not great enough to leave to a bigger club. Which seems kind of nice to me... I mean it sucks that he isn't amazing, but then we'd only lose him to another team.

Last edited:
But wouldn't you say that if he was a great goaltender and didn't have random hiccups, it's only a matter of time before we lost him to one of the bigger teams for money? I'd think Howard has been just good enough to stay with the team, but not great enough to leave to a bigger club. Which seems kind of nice to me... I mean it sucks that he isn't amazing, but then we'd only lose him to another team.

Yea, thats true. but for me, growing up, Everton were that bigger club. Granted we haven't won much lately but it's worth remembering we have over twice as many league titles as Chelsea. We have two of the best full backs in the league who don't want to leave, we shouldn't settle for something just short of the very best. #NSNO

Yea, thats true. but for me, growing up, Everton were that bigger club. Granted we haven't won much lately but it's worth remembering we have over twice as many league titles as Chelsea. We have two of the best full backs in the league who don't want to leave, we shouldn't settle for something just short of the very best. #NSNO

Alright, I agree and I see your points. Thanks for the clarification. Now if only the club could get a rich owner...

Alright, I agree and I see your points. Thanks for the clarification. Now if only the club could get a rich owner...

Haha, yea, we live in hope. Sad that it's gone like that tho. Not to get too nostalgic but in the early 80's a good manager and club set up could get you all the way, Just look at Forest's back to back european cups or the achievements of the like's of Ipswich or Watford. We could be managed by Guardiola and we'd still struggle against the big spenders... right I'm just depressing my self now!

Half of them haven't got a clue mate. The other half agree with me;)

Probably going to jinx him now but he's played pretty well this year so far i'd say.

Bar the one near huge balls up against Chelsea he's done everythign we could have asked whilst never needing to be too spectacular. Very decent handling last night too.

Could well be that having Robles as an actual challenge has helped. I think a lot of people in this thread have agreed that he just needed some competition. He now has.

Oh and #BLB

As others have said the level is incredibly high, we've had who many described as the best goalkeeper in the world playing for us for many years and then after a few near misses Nigel Martyn came in who was also superb.

I don't think there any keepers in the premier league that are of the level either Southall or Martyn were at, or other great keepers too like Seaman or Schmicheal.

Howard for me is the 3rd best keeper we've had in the last 30 years!

As others have said the level is incredibly high, we've had who many described as the best goalkeeper in the world playing for us for many years and then after a few near misses Nigel Martyn came in who was also superb.

I don't think there any keepers in the premier league that are of the level either Southall or Martyn were at, or other great keepers too like Seaman or Schmicheal.

Howard for me is the 3rd best keeper we've had in the last 30 years!

Pat Jennings :oops:

Status
Not open for further replies.